Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drilling aluminum

I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8" masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8" masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

If it's metal-cutting hole saw, yes. But a twist drill is even better.

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

No need to lubricate. Won't hurt. But it isn't necessary.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8" masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

of course a metal bit would work like a charm

but i owuld try the hole saw first

i feel like a mason bit would only superheat that area and weaken that
area
if it even cut / it might work

you got a 7/8 mason bit? dang, that's a farily hefty bit, and we all
know the tip can be sharp.. it might get you through 1/4" maybe drilli
from both sides..

I woiuldn't worry bout no oil, or cooling the bit
but a splash of water on the metal might keep it from getting to hot if
your bits are dull

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sosessyithurts" wrote in
ups.com:

I wouldn't worry bout no oil, or cooling the bit
but a splash of water on the metal might keep it from getting to hot if
your bits are dull

If your bits are dull,then either sharpen them or get new ones.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8" masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

For cutting aluminum a twist, hole saw, spade bit or forstner bitt will
work.....I've used all of these with good results. Any cutting tool
(carbide preferred) that gives decent results with wood can be used
with success in aluminum (slow, steady feed & sharp tool)

Luckily your material is not that thick.

If your work piece is held down well, clamped or fixed to soemthing,
just have at it. Only the twist drill would need a smaller pilot. The
hole saw, spade bit &

A masonry bit is not a good choice, they're meant for brittle
materails, esp if it is a bit for a rotary hammer

If the choice is masonry bit or hole saw.......use the hole saw.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

If your bits are dull,then either sharpen them or get new ones.

don't yell at me bitch

im not the one drilling with ****ty blades

lol

maaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha

Posted to alt.home.repair

sosessyithurts wrote:
don't yell at me bitch

im not the one drilling with ****ty blades

Nope. You're the one drilling your cat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8" masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

A standard twist bit would be best, lubricated with plain kerosene for
aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hole saw. Dry. High speed, low feed pressure. Stop occasionally to
clear out the groove, shop vac works nicely.

Masonry bit definitely not the right device.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Toller" wrote in message
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8"
masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hole saw, WD-40 for lube, medium speed if available, stop for nothing other
than going to the next hole, many holes put a piece of wood or another piece
of aluminum under the bit if in a drill press so you don't have a big burr
or an airplane prop on the spindle of a drill press. 30 year machinist if
that makes a difference.

Rich

.

"Toller" wrote in message
I want to drill some 7/8" holes in some 1/4" thick aluminum.

I was planning on using a hole saw, but then found I had a 7/8"
masonry
drill. Would that work, or is the hole saw a better bet?

Do I lubricate the surface, or just cut dry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sosessyithurts" wrote in
ups.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

If your bits are dull,then either sharpen them or get new ones.

don't yell at me bitch

im not the one drilling with ****ty blades

lol

maaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha

THIS IS "YELLING",UseNet fashion.

and nobody drills with -blades-.They use drill BITS.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik