Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum Railing

I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:47*pm, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. *At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Where is the installation?

Depending on the environmental conditions vinyl might be better than
aluminum but could be reserved as well.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:47 pm, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Where is the installation?

Depending on the environmental conditions vinyl might be better than
aluminum but could be reserved as well.

cheers
Bob

I am replacing my redwood deck, at my front door, with concrete.
After the concrete settles for about two weeks, I plan on installing the
new railing. The entire area is covered overhead.

I live in central WA state and it gets up to 105 during the summer
months, sometimes, and as cold as -10 which is rare.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was
at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price
is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

I've not seen it, but I'd have to think that 10 years from now, the aluminum
would be looking better. That is not to say the vinyl would be falling
apart, siding last for 40 years or more, but it can get dull.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:47:08 -0700, Kate wrote:

I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Is this an outside railing? Will it be in the sun. Aluminum
can get very hot in the sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 12:47*am, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. *At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Aluminum and vinyl are pretty flimsy, wont take much of a hit, dent,
bend, sounds like you could fall right through them, wood or steel
have strength. But I havnt seen the aluminum, aluminum is probably
more expensive than steel, you are pulling a permit, ask the inspector
what he thinks and what is "Allowed", stores sell what they have and
not what is best. I use wood or steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was
at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price
is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

We need more information. Is this a railing that will prevent someone from
falling over an edge and from a height? Or just one that is hand high, and
on the ground? You want to make it so that the stupidest clumsiest person
in the world could not fall over it or through it, or some lardass teenager
lean on it and do a half gainer down to the driveway. I would do ornamental
metal, but that's what I'd do. I don't like vinyl, as it cracks in cold
weather, and the same amount of aluminum would be about 3x the money,
regardless of what the salesman says, unless you're using some cheap thin
aluminum.

Do it right if means someone's life is depending on it.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Hi,
I have a length of Al railing on my back porch and Vinyl fence.
Did not need anything to do with Al. Replaced couple sections of fence
due to cracking. Al. is more solid for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 11:41*pm, Kate wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:47 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

In those conditions I'd use either depending on how sturdy each
proposed product will be for the intended use.
I've see the full range of aluminum or vinyl fences, gates & patio
covers; from super strong to real junk.

Wood is hard to beat for strength & stiffness, maintenance is an issue
though

For aluminum I was concerned about a seaside or very damp environment.

"after the concrete settles" ???????

concrete properly designed & placed should stay just were it was put

I hope the person responsible for the design & construction has worked
out the "deck to railing" connections.
They are usually best cast in place as opposed to a subsequent bolt on
arrangement.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

All other things being equal, aluminum will last longer. Irrigation
pipe is made of a typical aluminum alloy, sees very harsh conditions,
and usually lasts longer than its owner.

Then there's the issue of thickness and cross-section size. See if
you can get to an actual installation and have a strong person really
manhandle it.

Occasionally you hear corrosion rumors about aluminum in conctact with
certain types of concrete, but if the aluminum is coated, I doubt that
will be an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in -
september.org:

We have aluminum railings with glass inserts - getting to end of third year
now. The aluminum is great for sturdiness with no signs of corrosion -
bolred to pressure treated wood decks and along a concrete retaining wall.
The aluminum has a few small dents where it was bumped with shovels or
something during moving time. PVC wouldn't dent but it could get black
mould stains if you it is in the shade and damp - mould can't be cleaned
out of PVC if it gets deep into the plastic. If the railing is high and dry
and in the sun it won't mould but it may get stains from other sources such
as tree sap.

The aluminum did need a few shots of silicon caulk to solve rattle noise
from vibrations but it has been quiet for two years now.

We are in central Canada where it gets down to minus 35 and up to 90
degrees with lots of snow and rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was
at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price
is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

I've not seen it, but I'd have to think that 10 years from now, the aluminum
would be looking better. That is not to say the vinyl would be falling
apart, siding last for 40 years or more, but it can get dull.

That is exactly what I am thinking. My neighbors installed a vinyl
picket fence six years ago. It is dull, and rough to the touch.

Many thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 12:47 am, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Aluminum and vinyl are pretty flimsy, wont take much of a hit, dent,
bend, sounds like you could fall right through them, wood or steel
have strength. But I havnt seen the aluminum, aluminum is probably
more expensive than steel, you are pulling a permit, ask the inspector
what he thinks and what is "Allowed", stores sell what they have and
not what is best. I use wood or steel.

Thanks for the info. The ones I am interested in are made of powder
ocated aluminum. I saw them at Lowes/Ziggys Sunday, and they are quite
strong. Like you said, the salesman did not recommend vinyl as it is
alittle flimsy, and would not take much of a hit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

This deck is to the left of my front door. It is very small and holds a
bench and table. Without a railing, one could jump off of it easily.
It is not very tall. I am basically just "dressing up" the area. Code
says I don't even need a railing. I just like the looks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Hi,
I have a length of Al railing on my back porch and Vinyl fence.
Did not need anything to do with Al. Replaced couple sections of fence
due to cracking. Al. is more solid for sure.

Thanks. Just the info. I was looking for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 11:41 pm, Kate wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:47 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

I should have said, "after the concrete cures". It is my understanding
that the concrete should cure before drilling holes into it to secure
the new railing.

I had a redwood deck before, as well as a wood railing. I am just
trying to keep things simple which is why I am interested in the
aluminum or vinyl.

I did not want to cast the raining in place with concrete, just in case
I ever needed to replace it. I felt that the type of railing that is
bolted in place, and covered with a nice cap, would do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
All other things being equal, aluminum will last longer. Irrigation
pipe is made of a typical aluminum alloy, sees very harsh conditions,
and usually lasts longer than its owner.

Then there's the issue of thickness and cross-section size. See if
you can get to an actual installation and have a strong person really
manhandle it.

Occasionally you hear corrosion rumors about aluminum in conctact with
certain types of concrete, but if the aluminum is coated, I doubt that
will be an issue.

This newsgroup is awesome.

I saw quite a good portion of this railing already installed as a demo
at Ziggys. It was very sturdy, and this is the one reason I am
considering it. They had a vinyl display next to it, and it had quite a
bit of give. I would not hesitate using vinyl for a privacy fence, but
for a small deck railing, I have my doubts.

Yes, the aluminum is powder coated, and made by Regal.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reno wrote:
[...]

Great info.

I do feel I will be going with the aluminum. There are no trees around
the area either, so this should be a bonus. No small children around to
climb around on it either.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Okay. Big difference. Some decks are very high. Whatever fits, and you
like is the thing to put there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was
at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price
is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

If you live by the sea, sal****er would be a concern for aluminum, otherwise
I'd say aluminum. Vinyl discolors if it's exposed to sun, and may become
brittle after such exposure too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

Are they vinyl or PVC? I have Sherline PVC railings with an aluminum
I-beam inside the top rail. They are quite sturdy with a nice fastening
system and very easy to clean. There are big differences in the strength
of plastic railings as the price goes up.

The brochure I have says it is called, "Regal Aluminum Railings". It is
powder coated. Is this the info. you asked for?

Powder coatings are very durable. Basically a plastic dust sprayed on to the
metal, the stuff is then baked on in an oven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

Are they vinyl or PVC? I have Sherline PVC railings with an aluminum
I-beam inside the top rail. They are quite sturdy with a nice
fastening system and very easy to clean. There are big differences in
the strength of plastic railings as the price goes up.

The brochure I have says it is called, "Regal Aluminum Railings". It
is powder coated. Is this the info. you asked for?

Powder coatings are very durable. Basically a plastic dust sprayed on to
the metal, the stuff is then baked on in an oven.

Thank you Bob for all this good info. I am definitely going with the
aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 2:53*pm, Kate wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 11:41 pm, Kate wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:47 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

I would recommend you examine a similar "bolted in place" installation
before you comment to that approach.
The connection from the railing to the concrete is key.
It is possible to embed appropriate hardware in the concrete such that
the railing is easy to install & replace as needed.

A pure bolt-on, after the fact may not be as sturdy are you expect or
want.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

Are they vinyl or PVC? I have Sherline PVC railings with an aluminum
I-beam inside the top rail. They are quite sturdy with a nice
fastening system and very easy to clean. There are big differences
in the strength of plastic railings as the price goes up.

The brochure I have says it is called, "Regal Aluminum Railings". It
is powder coated. Is this the info. you asked for?

Powder coatings are very durable. Basically a plastic dust sprayed on
to the metal, the stuff is then baked on in an oven.

Thank you Bob for all this good info. I am definitely going with the
aluminum.

Be sure to report back in 10 or 20 years as to how it worked out:-))

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 1:47*am, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. *At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

When I bought my house it had a steel railing that the paint flaked
off of and it rusted within about 6 years.Examination of the paint
flakes showed that the metal had not been primed. It was at that time
I decided to take off the rear deck and replace it with a concrete
patio. I liked the looks of the steel so I checked to see if I could
get more of it and see about other coatings to put on it. I knew it
should have held up better than what it did. I managed to get a good
deal on with an upstart company that was doing powder coating. They
agreed to do the job for $150 if I would wait a few weeks for them to
get an oven full. Well that was 14 years ago and they still look like
the day they were installed. I suspect powder coated aluminum would do
as well. I'm not sure of how well the vinyl holds up but I know
several people who have put it up and taken it back out. Here in this
neighborhood it seems like it always gets ripped out by the new owners
whenever a house sales. I think its mostly because a lot of people
just don't like the appearance of it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 31, 1:47 am, Kate wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jimmie. I am sold on powdered brushed aluminum. I have not
received any bad info. on that product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Thank you Jimmie. I am sold on powdered brushed aluminum. I have not
received any bad info. on that product.

I should have mentioned, my table and chairs on the deck are powder coated
aluminum. Over 20 years and still looks pretty good.

railing repair peter Home Repair 3 June 17th 08 03:53 AM
Trex Railing [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 20th 07 03:10 PM
Cast aluminum with embeded 6061-T6 aluminum rods Ink Maker Metalworking 7 August 16th 07 06:00 AM
Deck Railing TH Home Repair 7 June 29th 06 03:31 PM
U.S. tests new ceramic armor made of aluminum oxynitride (clear aluminum) Gunner Asch Metalworking 7 December 25th 05 02:31 PM