Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Aluminum Railing

ransley wrote:
On Aug 31, 12:47 am, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

Aluminum and vinyl are pretty flimsy, wont take much of a hit, dent,
bend, sounds like you could fall right through them, wood or steel
have strength. But I havnt seen the aluminum, aluminum is probably
more expensive than steel, you are pulling a permit, ask the inspector
what he thinks and what is "Allowed", stores sell what they have and
not what is best. I use wood or steel.

Thanks for the info. The ones I am interested in are made of powder
ocated aluminum. I saw them at Lowes/Ziggys Sunday, and they are quite
strong. Like you said, the salesman did not recommend vinyl as it is
alittle flimsy, and would not take much of a hit.