Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Aluminum Railing

SteveB wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was
at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price
is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

We need more information. Is this a railing that will prevent someone from
falling over an edge and from a height? Or just one that is hand high, and
on the ground? You want to make it so that the stupidest clumsiest person
in the world could not fall over it or through it, or some lardass teenager
lean on it and do a half gainer down to the driveway. I would do ornamental
metal, but that's what I'd do. I don't like vinyl, as it cracks in cold
weather, and the same amount of aluminum would be about 3x the money,
regardless of what the salesman says, unless you're using some cheap thin
aluminum.

Do it right if means someone's life is depending on it.

steve

This deck is to the left of my front door. It is very small and holds a
bench and table. Without a railing, one could jump off of it easily.
It is not very tall. I am basically just "dressing up" the area. Code
says I don't even need a railing. I just like the looks.