Posted to alt.home.repair
TH

Default Deck Railing

I am rebuilding the railings on an existing deck and am wondering if there
is a "recommended" spacing for the balusters?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:44:09 GMT, "TH" wrote:

I am rebuilding the railings on an existing deck and am wondering if there
is a "recommended" spacing for the balusters?

no spaces big enough for a 4" ball, isn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

TH wrote:
I am rebuilding the railings on an existing deck and am wondering if there
is a "recommended" spacing for the balusters?

Four inches maximum. Close enough to prevent a baby's head from
protruding through.

http://www.gilpinironworks.com/railings.htm

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair

TH wrote:
I am rebuilding the railings on an existing deck and am wondering if there
is a "recommended" spacing for the balusters?

Code specifies max spacing, and orientation- vertical, not _horizontal_
like some idiot did with tubafors back when on my porch. Your local
inspector will decide.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Code specifies max spacing, and orientation- vertical, not _horizontal_
like some idiot did with tubafors back when on my porch. Your local
inspector will decide.

Before the code change, that was very common. The 4" spacing takes more
wood and takes away from the view in many cases.

IIRC, it must be spaced so that a 4" ball will not fit through any opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Lena wrote:
TH wrote:
I am rebuilding the railings on an existing deck and am wondering if there
is a "recommended" spacing for the balusters?

Four inches maximum. Close enough to prevent a baby's head from
protruding through.

This is one of the stupidest things in the code books - and there are
some doozies. Following similar logic, all staircases should be
eliminated and gentle padded ramps installed so no one would fall down
the stairs, all cabinets should come equipped with childproof latches,
all medicines should be put in bottles that...oops, they're already
done that one.

I'm fond of saying that you can't legislate or regulate stupidity out
of existence. If someone is leaving a baby with a head that small
(what would it be? a few months old?) on a deck unattended...well, the
planet doesn't need more stupidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

Code specifies max spacing, and orientation- vertical, not _horizontal_
like some idiot did with tubafors back when on my porch. Your local
inspector will decide.

Before the code change, that was very common. The 4" spacing takes more
wood and takes away from the view in many cases.

Use chicken wire (in a sturdy wood frame) and paint the wire flat black
with a roller.

It looks a lot better than it sounds; it's effective, it lasts forever,
and it's cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

The 4" spacing is pretty standard but local codes may be different. You
didn't mention other details about this deck. If the deck surface is less
than 24" above grade, you may not need railings. If higher than 24", not
only do you need railings but they will usually need to meet other specs.,
i.e. the top rail must be at least 36" above the deck. If there is a lower
rail, it must be 4" or less, above the deck. Other specs. refer to
materials used. Time for some more homework and perhaps a cup of coffee for
the local inspector.

k.net...

Deck railing material Rich Woodworking 3 August 10th 05 03:01 AM
Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 May 31st 05 05:48 PM
Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 7 May 29th 05 03:06 PM
How much work is to clean & stain cedar deck railing? Dave K. Home Repair 0 May 1st 04 06:22 PM
Slightly OT - installing composite deck railing PC Woodworking 0 July 11th 03 12:02 PM