Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Aluminum Railing

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 31, 1:47 am, Kate wrote:
I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I
was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings
better.

The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the
price is probably $50 more or less.

Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?

Is anyone sold on vinyl?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Kate

When I bought my house it had a steel railing that the paint flaked
off of and it rusted within about 6 years.Examination of the paint
flakes showed that the metal had not been primed. It was at that time
I decided to take off the rear deck and replace it with a concrete
patio. I liked the looks of the steel so I checked to see if I could
get more of it and see about other coatings to put on it. I knew it
should have held up better than what it did. I managed to get a good
deal on with an upstart company that was doing powder coating. They
agreed to do the job for $150 if I would wait a few weeks for them to
get an oven full. Well that was 14 years ago and they still look like
the day they were installed. I suspect powder coated aluminum would do
as well. I'm not sure of how well the vinyl holds up but I know
several people who have put it up and taken it back out. Here in this
neighborhood it seems like it always gets ripped out by the new owners
whenever a house sales. I think its mostly because a lot of people
just don't like the appearance of it.

Jimmie

Thank you Jimmie. I am sold on powdered brushed aluminum. I have not
received any bad info. on that product.