Old October 6th 16, 11:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance calls near zero

Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the
nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single
call in over 7 days.

I don't really understand why - most of these callers just ring and
play a recording anyway, so the callers would not even be aware their
calls have been blocked. Which rather suggests that something has been
done nationally to put a stop to these callers.

Old October 6th 16, 12:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 11:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the
nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single
call in over 7 days.

I don't really understand why - most of these callers just ring and play
a recording anyway, so the callers would not even be aware their calls
have been blocked. Which rather suggests that something has been done
nationally to put a stop to these callers.

I too have a Trucall with zero cold calls put through and none on the
answer phone but the logging suggests up to 10 dropped calls per week
and this is confirmed by an old technology caller display box which also
logs all calls (mainly withheld and International).

Old October 6th 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 06/10/2016 11:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the
nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single
call in over 7 days.

I don't really understand why - most of these callers just ring and play
a recording anyway, so the callers would not even be aware their calls
have been blocked. Which rather suggests that something has been done
nationally to put a stop to these callers.

I too have a Trucall with zero cold calls put through and none on the
answer phone but the logging suggests up to 10 dropped calls per week
and this is confirmed by an old technology caller display box which also
logs all calls (mainly withheld and International).

+1. Still plenty of calls getting logged by my truecall.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 6th 16, 02:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 11:12:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the
nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single
call in over 7 days.

I don't really understand why - most of these callers just ring and
play a recording anyway, so the callers would not even be aware their
calls have been blocked. Which rather suggests that something has been
done nationally to put a stop to these callers.

Removing our landline stopped *all* nuisance calls.

Excellent. But it would also remove my internet access too. As it would
with most of the population.
Oh - my landline phone probably needs it too...

Been over a year now - no adverse effects.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 6th 16, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m submitted this idea :
I too have a Trucall with zero cold calls put through and none on the answer
phone but the logging suggests up to 10 dropped calls per week and this is
confirmed by an old technology caller display box which also logs all calls
(mainly withheld and International).

It is TrueCall system combined with the handsets, it logs every
outbound call and every caller, whether answered or not. If a call
comes through and the call is blocked, it puts it on the display as a
number of calls blocked so I can review them. There were several per
day when I first installed it (which was why I bought it) - that number
had declined to the point where now we have had an entire 7 days with
not a single call.

As the callers now mostly use an automated system playing recorded
messages, it seemed odd that their systems should notice they are being
told to go through an automated process at my end, to get through - and
that this should deter them from ringing. At my end, it will ask them
to state their name and press #. If they manage that, my phones ring,
their name is played back and I then get the choice to take the call,
ignore it, or pass it to the voicemail system. None of the nuisance
callers ever got as far as making the phones ring or getting manually
rejected.

Everyone who's number is in my phonebook, gets put straight through.

Old October 6th 16, 04:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

on 06/10/2016, pamela supposed :
Doesn't the TrueCall announcement tell your callers to press some
button if they wish to speak to you? Those automated calls wouldn't
know to do that.

As mentioned earlier. Anyone who rings from a number not in the
phonebook or hides their number, gets the chance to state their name
then press #. If they manage to do that, my phones ring, the name they
recorded is played back to me then I can accept the call, reject it, or
send them to voicemail.

I have only had that happen twice since putting the system in, both
were genuine callers trying to get through. The phone has not rung once
with a nuisance caller trying to ring, but certainly they have rung -
it logs their calls on the screen with a number if one was available.
Old October 6th 16, 05:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 13:41, pamela wrote:

Doesn't the TrueCall announcement tell your callers to press some
button if they wish to speak to you? Those automated calls wouldn't
know to do that.

You have choice, but yes _blocked_ calls can be answered with an
alternative message asking the caller to state their name and then press
hash. What you do with the call is up to you. You can set up a number of
rings so that you answer the phone and you are given the callers name
which you can then accept, reject or send to answer phone. Alternatively
you can set, say, one ring and then automatically redirect to the
answerphone. The answerphone has call monitoring and you can interrupt
it for a live reply.

Old October 6th 16, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote on 06/10/2016 :
whose.

who's is short for who is.

I did of course know that, but thank you.
Old October 6th 16, 09:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 5:13:53 PM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 06/10/2016 13:41, pamela wrote:

Doesn't the TrueCall announcement tell your callers to press some
button if they wish to speak to you? Those automated calls wouldn't
know to do that.

You have choice, but yes _blocked_ calls can be answered with an
alternative message asking the caller to state their name and then press
hash. What you do with the call is up to you. You can set up a number of
rings so that you answer the phone and you are given the callers name
which you can then accept, reject or send to answer phone. Alternatively
you can set, say, one ring and then automatically redirect to the
answerphone. The answerphone has call monitoring and you can interrupt
it for a live reply.

not one nuisance call in 4 years, no landline, voip setup by Vonage.
Old October 7th 16, 03:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy Wrote in message:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 5:13:53 PM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 06/10/2016 13:41, pamela wrote:

Doesn't the TrueCall announcement tell your callers to press some
button if they wish to speak to you? Those automated calls wouldn't
know to do that.

You have choice, but yes _blocked_ calls can be answered with an
alternative message asking the caller to state their name and then press
hash. What you do with the call is up to you. You can set up a number of
rings so that you answer the phone and you are given the callers name
which you can then accept, reject or send to answer phone. Alternatively
you can set, say, one ring and then automatically redirect to the
answerphone. The answerphone has call monitoring and you can interrupt
it for a live reply.

not one nuisance call in 4 years, no landline, voip setup by Vonage.

What do they give you, a geographic number? Perhaps you are just
careful about who you give it to or else you have been lucky.

My VoIP provider Discoutvoip charges 1p/min to call a UK mobile
with no "connection charge" (incoming calls via different
providers)
Just remind me, what does Vonage charge? ;-)
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Nuisance phone calls - how to stop them? Eusebius UK diy 50 September 23rd 14 11:10 AM
Noise nuisance Jim S UK diy 8 October 14th 13 08:30 AM
Nuisance RCD trips Lobster UK diy 16 August 8th 13 10:05 AM
Nuisance youths John UK diy 78 July 17th 09 08:50 PM
RCD nuisance trip Andy Burns UK diy 14 January 6th 07 08:30 PM