Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance calls near zero

On 12/10/2016 10:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :
Just got mine installed and working. The final straw was a couple of
'auto' calls very early in the morning. Bit fiddly to set up, and was
rather p***ed off to have to pay BT almost 20 quid a year for caller ID.
Plus the 20 quid a year for the TruCall online facility.

All I now need to find out is if it triggers quickly enough to stop the
phone in the bedroom ringing.

I don't understand any of that...

As said, mine is built into our set of new BT phones. Our Caller ID is
free and I am not aware of any need to update the TruCall system. It
took minutes to set up, I just set it to filter all calls from unknown
numbers, numbers not it its list. Those unknown callers then get the
opportunity to get through by recording their name and pressing hash.

If they do that, my phones ring and I get the choice of speaking to
them, ignoring them, or passing them to voicemail.

Calls with no caller ID, don't even get the chance to state their name
and press hash - a recorded message just tells them we don't accept such
calls.

Does that include Withheld? If so, I hope you never need to receive a
call from a hospital or doctor's surgery because they invariably
withhold their numbers.

With my trueCall unit, such calls can still get through as long as the
caller says something when asked to identify themselves.
--
Cheers,
Roger