Old May 7th 09, 11:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance phone calls - how to stop them?

I get the odd sales call from humans which I don't object too much to,
but recently I've had about one automated call a day. These are
usually about noon, but yesterday I had a call at 1am in the night.
This is really intolerable.

I did a search and found the Telephone Preference System :
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

But how can you inform an automated call that you are registered with
the TPS?

What to do about this - ideas?

Cordially,

andy evans

Old May 7th 09, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eusebius" wrote in message
I get the odd sales call from humans which I don't object too much to,
but recently I've had about one automated call a day. These are
usually about noon, but yesterday I had a call at 1am in the night.
This is really intolerable.

I did a search and found the Telephone Preference System :
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

But how can you inform an automated call that you are registered with
the TPS?

What to do about this - ideas?

First, you can't easily and second they are probably from outside the UK
where TPS doesn't apply anyway. Not much help, I know. If it is really a
nuisance, ask your phone provider - maybe they can help?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Old May 7th 09, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

First, you can't easily and second they are probably from outside the UK
where TPS doesn't apply anyway.

Very likely - it was an American voice. Damn!
Old May 7th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote

But how can you inform an automated call that you are registered with
the TPS?

What to do about this - ideas?

First, you can't easily and second they are probably from outside the UK
where TPS doesn't apply anyway. Not much help, I know. If it is really a
nuisance, ask your phone provider - maybe they can help?

Agreed. The effectiveness of the TPS takes a while to kick in
(weeks/months), but is effective for UK origin nuisance calls.
Worth getting call line id and a phone that can display caller number (if
you haven't already). Even better if it will display your phone book entry
for the number.
We seem to get a spate of International calls every three months or so. If
you have an answering service, the automated call appears to recognise this
and cuts off as soon as the answer machine is activated.

Phil

Old May 7th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

What to do about this - ideas?

There's a device developed to help.

or http://www.truecall.co.uk

--
Adrian C

Old May 7th 09, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Evans wrote:
First, you can't easily and second they are probably from outside the UK
where TPS doesn't apply anyway.

Very likely - it was an American voice. Damn!

At home I'm TPS-registered, ex-directory and have a very peaceful
existence. However I recently stayed in a rented house in the US, where
I was bombarded daily by automated calls during which a recorded voice
would extol me to buy insurance, a new car etc etc. Completely
intolerable - I don't know how anyone could live with that!

David
Old May 7th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eusebius wrote:

What to do about this - ideas?

There's a device developed to help.

or http://www.truecall.co.uk

--
Adrian C

Is there anyway to block 'Number Withheld' calls, ie., without the phone
ringing.

mark

Old May 7th 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote

Is there anyway to block 'Number Withheld' calls, ie., without the phone
ringing.

Yes - it usually comes at an additional nominal cost from your service
provider.

Phil

Old May 7th 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-05-07, mark wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eusebius wrote:

What to do about this - ideas?

There's a device developed to help.

orhttp://www.truecall.co.uk

--
Adrian C

Is there anyway to block 'Number Withheld' calls, *ie., without the phone
ringing.

If you do this, it is likely your Doctor, the emergency services and so on
will not be able to call you.

None of them have ever called me. If I need them, I call them. most
large organisations that want individuals to remain anonymous will
have a number that they present (e.g. the main switchboard), rather
than the numbers of individual extensions, so are not "number
withheld" anyway.

MBQ
Old May 7th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"mark" wrote

Is there anyway to block 'Number Withheld' calls, ie., without the phone
ringing.

Yes - it usually comes at an additional nominal cost from your service
provider.

Which I think is completely wrong :-(

Sod even the nominal cost. If the facility to withhold identity is free,
so _free_ should be the means to refuse contact until the results of
identity (or other) checks is determined.

--
Adrian C