Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY - a step too far

I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10 minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back together again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are indeed lucky. Normally its the whole motherboard which is knackered
as the pcbtracks lift and crack.
More substantial manufacture should be used on all plugs and sockets on
portable equipment in my view.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting
it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would
take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 09:04:56 UTC+1, Halmyre wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10 minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back together again.

He has to desolder the jack plug, clean all the joints and solder a new one in. He said that he has to be in the right frame of mind and to do it in the cool of the evening as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:04:54 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the
job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10
minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

tim

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:38:24 AM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:04:54 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the
job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10
minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

On my Lenovo the power socket is (was) partly held in place by a thin plastic lug, part of the casing. Sudden jolt to the plug = broken lug = loose socket; as a temporary (hah) bodge I've fed the socket outside the casing on its stub of cable (which keeps breaking off and needing resoldered). At some point I'll apply a large lump of Araldite to try and fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold it together, trying to remember which of the dozen-odd different shapes and lengths of screw goes where.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 11:03:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote on 20/09/2016 :
On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 11:03:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Hang on, what happened to "What a palaver for such a simple part -
still he'll only charge me £20." I thought £20 was far too cheap for a
strip-down and solder job so the £65 is much more realistic tbh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason writes:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up t=
he part on ebay and it is only =C2=A34.50. However, the youtube video on fi=
tting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job wo=
uld take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me =C2=A320=
.

Done this several times at repair events.
The long part is the disassembly and reassembly.
Often, you find other problems too, such as broken hinges, and that
the laptop fan has been acting as the house vacuum cleaner for some
years, and/or something sticky has been spilt in it in the past.

People usually buy the connector with the flying lead and plug
(sometimes somes with a tiny daughter board), although I don't
recall if I've seen the precise model you have there. There's
not normally any soldering involved.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 20/09/2016, Andrew Gabriel supposed :
In article ,
Simon Mason writes:
[...]

Lots of laptops have the DC jack soldered directly to the motherboard -
I've done four repairs just this last week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

You are indeed lucky. Normally its the whole motherboard which is
knackered as the pcbtracks lift and crack.

Never seen anything like that with the branded laptops.

More substantial manufacture should be used on all plugs and sockets on
portable equipment in my view.

Some of them are designed so that even treading on
the cord with it plugged into the laptop etc just sees
it pull out and not damage the socket on the laptop.

And the micro USB connector is designed so that the
plug fails first instead of the socket so all you need is
a cheap new cable.

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 19:02:29 UTC+1, John wrote:

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Hang on, what happened to "What a palaver for such a simple part -
still he'll only charge me £20." I thought £20 was far too cheap for a
strip-down and solder job so the £65 is much more realistic tbh.

He said that a ballpark figure for such a job was £20 in his initial offer, but it took him longer than usual as I expected it would.

He also cleaned the fans, replaced a couple of lost screws and the memory button cell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message
[...]

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 20:53:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message

fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold it together,
trying to remember which of the dozen-odd different shapes and lengths of
screw goes where.

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

I only tried that trick once, on a painfully constructed item I wasn't confident of remembering, which is unusual. It went fine until I needed to consult the pictures, and found too much in them was in darkness and I was on my own. Yes, I had checked the pics before disassembly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Then it is clearly time you got a cheap used digital camera or phone just
for that.

Or got a clue and got a mobile phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Halmyre wrote

fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold
it together, trying to remember which of the dozen-odd
different shapes and lengths of screw goes where.

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

I only tried that trick once, on a painfully constructed item
I wasn't confident of remembering, which is unusual. It
went fine until I needed to consult the pictures, and found
too much in them was in darkness and I was on my own.

Trivially fixable by ensuring decent lighting and
using video mode and deliberately showing
the screw removed to the camera at each step
and which bin each type of screw was put in
in the parts tray etc.

Yes, I had checked the pics before disassembly.

Doesnt help with the length of screw, video is much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Simon Mason Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 20:53:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Use your spycam specs?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 23:16:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Then it is clearly time you got a cheap used digital camera or phone just
for that.

Oh I have a Canon Ixus 285 as I use the correct tool for the job, not something that does lots of things badly hence:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Then it is clearly time you got a cheap used
digital camera or phone just for that.

Oh I have a Canon Ixus 285 as I use the correct tool for the job,

So you lied thru your ****ing teeth above.

t something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

hence:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Which proves you lied thru your ****ing teeth
with your stupid claim that its no use to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 02:29:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

not something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I watch TV on a 60in screen, not on a poxy phone.

I use a Garmin Nuvicam for driving, a 3790T for city walking, a 550 with full OS maps for rambling and a Garmin Edge for cycling.

I have a 160GB i-pod with 25000 tracks on it for music.

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave watch for the time.

I have an Acer Aspire S7 for emails/internet.

I have an Icom IC-R20, JRC NRD 525 and Grundig Satellit 800 for radio.

I have a Motorola cordless landline for phone calls that never drops out.

Correct tools for the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

not something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I watch TV on a 60in screen, not on a poxy phone.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times when waiting around for something.

I use a Garmin Nuvicam for driving, a 3790T for city walking, a
550 with full OS maps for rambling and a Garmin Edge for cycling.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have the
one smartphone that does that a hell of a lot better than those do.

I have a 160GB i-pod with 25000 tracks on it for music.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have
all that on your smartphone. No advantage what so ever
of having a separate device just for that, it doesnt do that
any better and is in fact much worse in a number of ways.

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave watch for the time.

More fool you. Makes a lot more sense to use the smartphone for that.

I have an Acer Aspire S7 for emails/internet.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have that available on your smartphone as well.

I have an Icom IC-R20, JRC NRD 525 and Grundig Satellit 800 for radio.

More fool you. I makes a hell of a lot more
sense to use the smartphone for most of that.

I have a Motorola cordless landline
for phone calls that never drops out.

My smartphone never drops out.

Correct tools for the job.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

And you have nothing to use when the **** hits the fan
and you need to call someone when not at home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 04:17:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

And you have nothing to use when the **** hits the fan
and you need to call someone when not at home.

The only time I needed one was when I broke down at a service station in Bavaria in 2013. Luckily, Mrs M has one and rang the RAC, but when they rang her back she did not know how to answer it (screen needed a tick or summat).

I had to use the landline in the shop, so even as a phone it was useless.

Since then I have never needed one at all - I am very self reliant and can sort out my own problems without being a cry baby on a phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 04:17:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

I use a Garmin Nuvicam for driving, a 3790T for city walking, a
550 with full OS maps for rambling and a Garmin Edge for cycling.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have the
one smartphone that does that a hell of a lot better than those do.

Yes - when I drive to Kiev, our lass's phone will be better than this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpRrSLVWgAA8Y5A.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And you have nothing to use when the **** hits the
fan and you need to call someone when not at home.

The only time I needed one was when I broke down at a
service station in Bavaria in 2013. Luckily, Mrs M has one
and rang the RAC, but when they rang her back she did not
know how to answer it (screen needed a tick or summat).

I had to use the landline in the shop, so even as a phone it was useless.

Since then I have never needed one at all

But you have no idea when you will need one again.

I am very self reliant and can sort out my own
problems without being a cry baby on a phone.

Like hell you can if someone runs you over on your bike
and doesnt stop to assist you and no one else shows up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1523958 20160920 110233 "tim..." wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

I've just bought a refurbished IBM T400 for £79.99 - lovely machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 02:29:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Then it is clearly time you got a cheap used
digital camera or phone just for that.

Oh I have a Canon Ixus 285 as I use the correct tool for the job,

So you lied thru your ****ing teeth above.

where the lie ?
a Canon Ixus 285 is NOT a phone it can;t even be used as a phone unlikke a phone which can be used as a camera.
I have more cameras than phones but most peole I know have more phones than cameras.

t something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

hence:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Which proves you lied thru your ****ing teeth
with your stupid claim that its no use to you.

Hows does it prove anything theres no mobile phone in the picture the thing on the right is an old ipod which doesn't have a camera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 12:25:04 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

I have more cameras than phones but most peole I know have more phones than cameras.

Anyone know why film taken with a phone looks like it was taken through a letterbox?

Hows does it prove anything theres no mobile phone in the picture the thing on the right is an old ipod which doesn't have a camera.

That "old" i-pod is a 160GB model which will never have such great capacity ever again as people want their music on phones, even if it is only a few GB.

Progress in reverse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 04:17:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

not something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I watch TV on a 60in screen, not on a poxy phone.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times when waiting around for something.

I wouldnl't watch a movie on a phone while hanging around waiting for something.
If I watch a film I prefer to sit down and watch it when I have the time allocated that's what the majoroty of noram people do.

Although sometimes when I'm ****ed off in teh morning waiting for a bus I think to myself why don't I watch a season of game of thrones while I'm waiting.

I use a Garmin Nuvicam for driving, a 3790T for city walking, a
550 with full OS maps for rambling and a Garmin Edge for cycling.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have the
one smartphone that does that a hell of a lot better than those do.

I don;t use either so I don't know. But I'd prefer someone to check directions on a dedicted system because obviously I;d be watcvhing something on teh smartphone sop wouldn;t want to be interupted just because some idiot couldn't use a map.

I have a 160GB i-pod with 25000 tracks on it for music.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have
all that on your smartphone.

No it doesn't and not all smartphone have 160GB for music.

No advantage what so ever

every advantage.

of having a separate device just for that,

How can you navigate on a device, listen to music and watch a film at the same time ? or perhaps play a game which I'd be more likely to do on a smartphone than watch a movie.

it doesnt do that
any better and is in fact much worse in a number of ways.

seperate items are usually better but you have to care about what your doing.

This is why they still have cinemas like the imax because not everyone thibnk a smartphone is the best chopice for watching movies or much eles realyl oyher than perhaps instgram.

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave watch for the time.

More fool you. Makes a lot more sense to use the smartphone for that.

No it doesn't because smartp[hones usually sit in a pocket and will need taking out and activating to view.

I have an Acer Aspire S7 for emails/internet.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have that available on your smartphone as well.

As well but tehre's plenty of things that are better done on a computer than a smartphone but only if your sense of doing things goes beyond consuming and playing candy crush.

I have an Icom IC-R20, JRC NRD 525 and Grundig Satellit 800 for radio.

More fool you. I makes a hell of a lot more
sense to use the smartphone for most of that.

but can't do much of it on a smartphone.

Correct tools for the job.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Would you say sex is better on a smartphone too ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 12:55:47 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 12:25:04 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

I have more cameras than phones but most peole I know have more phones than cameras.

Anyone know why film taken with a phone looks like it was taken through a letterbox?

not sure why you use the term film, but perhaps you have the aspect ratio set to 16X10 or 16X9 (widescreen) the standard is 3X2 but there's few other choices.

Hows does it prove anything theres no mobile phone in the picture the thing on the right is an old ipod which doesn't have a camera.

That "old" i-pod is a 160GB model which will never have such great capacity ever again as people want their music on phones, even if it is only a few GB.

Progress in reverse.

the new iphone 7 you can get with 256GB so buy spenign a relatively huge amount yuo can top that old ipod. I have a 32GB version, now used more as an external drive and a toy gyroscope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 13:52:50 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

That "old" i-pod is a 160GB model which will never have such great capacity ever again as people want their music on phones, even if it is only a few GB.

Progress in reverse.

the new iphone 7 you can get with 256GB so buy spenign a relatively huge amount yuo can top that old ipod.

Yebbut - with all of the other junk on a phone, such as videos, apps and photos there won't be anywhere near 160GB available for music.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video
on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said
the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75
quid, even for he simplest task

About a year ago, I had my Aser laptop repaired. Involved removing one of
the processors due to a dry joint, cleaning the PCB and replacing. Cost
about 50 quid including postage. Not something I'd attempt myself - unlike
changing a power connector.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Couldn't agree more, with every point you've made. Except that I find
having a smart-phone handy, but not handy enough to pay hundreds of
pounds for one. The screens are too small, the "keyboards" inadequate,
the apps poor and locked down so can't be replaced, the cameras lousy,
the storage capacity inadequate. I have "proper" tools for all of these,
like you.

My couple of years old Samsung smart phone has a more than adequate camera
for snap shots. And OK as an iPod type thingie. And as a SatNav. As well
as the more obvious use as a phone and for simple browsing where I can get
a Wi-Fi connection. As I'm not willing to pay a monthly fee for data use.

I simply couldn't be bothered carrying around all four units to do the job
one does more than adequately.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Quite. AISB, the smartphone is a solution looking for a problem.

Hmm,

I did wonder about getting an ipod to put a satnav app on, but the
audio would be **** so I'm still wondering (we've been thinking about
getting a satnav for 10 years, but SWMBO is a very good map
reader/navigator).

You can be bothered getting up to date A-Z for every town you visit? Does
SWMBO get up to date traffic info too?

Prolly wait until we change car and then get one built in. It'll be
handy for going around unknown cities/towns.

Trouble with built in sat navs can be the cost of keeping them up to date.

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-09-21, Tim wrote:

In , Huge

On 2016-09-21, Simon wrote:

[...]

Oh, it is, and it is quite a good solution to the provision of a very
limited computing environment, heavily constrained by portability. But
as a general purpose computing environment, it sucks in all respects.

[6 lines snipped]

Prolly wait until we change car and then get one built in.

The problem with these is that the car manufacturers abandon them quite
soon after release, and even if they don't, the map updates are
outrageously expensive.

I bought a new cheap 7in sat nav last year, it still managed to
direct me down a single track road with passing places! However it does
have lifetime map updates and whines about speed limits being exceeded
all the time, which is perhaps not a bad thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-09-21, Simon wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 13:52:50 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

That "old" i-pod is a 160GB model which will never have such great capacity ever again as people want their music on phones, even if it is only a few GB.

Progress in reverse.

the new iphone 7 you can get with 256GB so buy spenign a relatively huge amount yuo can top that old ipod.

Yebbut - with all of the other junk on a phone, such as videos, apps and photos there won't be anywhere near 160GB available for music.

And it's *six* *hundred* *pounds*.

It's known as consumer choice. Or to me, a fool and their money are
soon parted!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 15:06:32 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I did wonder about getting an ipod to put a satnav app on, but the
audio would be **** so I'm still wondering (we've been thinking about
getting a satnav for 10 years, but SWMBO is a very good map
reader/navigator).

My Garmin Nuvicam has every street in Europe and is updated 3 times a year which is good as our lass is useless at map reading, especially in Cyrillic text.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 04:55:43 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 12:25:04 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

I have more cameras than phones but most peole I know have more phones
than cameras.

Anyone know why film taken with a phone looks like it was taken through
a letterbox?

I've never seen a phone that uses film.