Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Inlay Rimmed Lidded Box with Integral Finial - Step By Step

Am almost done with actually turning a Cindy Drozda-esque lidded box -
with an inlaid rim - though I didn't have the guts to turn the finial as
an integral part of the lid. The illustrated procedure - with notes - I
put together based on watching Drozda turn one - and going through about
150 photos - works (her onion finial isn't trivial to reproduce, or even
to get close).

If you've compromised an idea for a piece just because you either can't
figure out the "chucking" sequence or even how the part can be held to
do the necessary turning, this stuff might provide some solutions. And
the more ways you have to hold a part, the more options you have for
your next piece.

As usual, questions, comments, suggestions and constructive criticism
that can help improve this info will be appreciated. The goal is to
make useful information available for other turners - and maybe get
someone to try something they didn't think they could do.

http://www.svwoodturners.org/Demonst...oxProcess.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Your descriptive posts and illustrative capabilities are far better
than any book I've ever read on woodturning. To say you're a stickler
for presenting details would be the understatement of the year. That's
another keeper...

Bob S.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob:

There are several traps woodworking instructions fall into.

The first is that the person providing the process has probably
been woodworking, or turning, for many years rather than
being relatively new to the subject. So it's easy to fall into
the Common Knowledge And Not Worth Mentioning trap. While
that may be true for experienced woodworkers or turners,
it ain't for newbies. So critical details are overlooked.

The second pitfall is that the person who illustrates the
instructions probably hasn't actually done, or even seen
done, the process to be illustrated. At best he/she may
be working from photos of SOME of the process.

In the case of this rim inlay process, I actually watched Cindy's
demo - in person, took scribbled notes - and had a bunch
of photos of the demo, taken by two different people.
What one missed, the other usually got. Extracting the
info and doing the annotated illustrations was about
16 hours, spread out over a week. When I had a set of
instructions I "thought" was complete I actually followed
them and turned an inlaid rimmed lidded box to test them.
That caused some minor revisions and that's what got
put up on the web site. I still need to get a better photo
of the test piece and include it with this stuff.

Since I jump around a lot with my woodworking, as I try
something I've not done before, I try and document the
process, adding notes of details for steps I had problems
with - or screwed up. And since I have the ability to lose
a lit flashlight in a dark room,k I store stuff on my web site
where it's less likely to get "misplaced".

If stuff on my web site makes things easier for one or
more folks, or gets one or more to try something they
were otherwise hesitant to try - well that's icing on the cake.

If you use these instructions and find a hole in it, or
have suggestions for improving them - PLEASE e-mail
me.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you use these instructions and find a hole in it, or
have suggestions for improving them - PLEASE e-mail
me.

Let's see say's the newbie..........that would be like telling the Pope
how to say mass.....;-)

Keep up the good work. You're a great reference.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob S. wrote:

Let's see say's the newbie..........that would be like telling the Pope
how to say mass.....;-)

No, no, NO!

I've done ONE "proof of concept" inlaid rim so I'm only one actual
piece ahead of you. I jump around a lot so I'm often trying
something
new - to me. So I'm constantly going at things as a newbie.

What may be clear and complete to me may not be so clear or
complete to someone who didn't watch the demo or go through
a LOT of good photos of the demo. And I might skip a step that
doesn't seem worth including - but should have. While these
things may look pretty complete, until YOU try using them you
won't know if they are complete or not.

So if you use any of the stuff I put together please note gaps
or ambiguities and share them with me so I can improve them
for the next guy or gal.