Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY - a step too far

I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10 minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back together again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 09:04:56 UTC+1, Halmyre wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10 minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back together again.

He has to desolder the jack plug, clean all the joints and solder a new one in. He said that he has to be in the right frame of mind and to do it in the cool of the evening as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:04:54 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the
job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10
minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:38:24 AM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:04:54 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the
job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10
minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

On my Lenovo the power socket is (was) partly held in place by a thin plastic lug, part of the casing. Sudden jolt to the plug = broken lug = loose socket; as a temporary (hah) bodge I've fed the socket outside the casing on its stub of cable (which keeps breaking off and needing resoldered). At some point I'll apply a large lump of Araldite to try and fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold it together, trying to remember which of the dozen-odd different shapes and lengths of screw goes where.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message
[...]

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 20:53:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

No use to me as I have never owned a mobile phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message

fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold it together,
trying to remember which of the dozen-odd different shapes and lengths of
screw goes where.

That last is one area where a decent phone with a camera or other electronic
camera helps heaps now.

I only tried that trick once, on a painfully constructed item I wasn't confident of remembering, which is unusual. It went fine until I needed to consult the pictures, and found too much in them was in darkness and I was on my own. Yes, I had checked the pics before disassembly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 09:38:24 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:04:54 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 4:20:03 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the
job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open, 10
minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

That sounds like you have been careless with him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I
looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the
youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a
repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me
£20.

That'll be 40 minutes to undo all the screws and prise the case open,
10 minutes to change the part and 40 minutes to put the bugger back
together again.

I have done that job on multiple Lenovo laptops. Yes, can take up to an
hour, although I'm getting faster!

(well, only two. But the same one three times, and the other one twice.
Son is careless with them)

That sounds like you have been careless with him.

His problem. He paid for the part. And my labour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are indeed lucky. Normally its the whole motherboard which is knackered
as the pcbtracks lift and crack.
More substantial manufacture should be used on all plugs and sockets on
portable equipment in my view.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting
it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would
take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

You are indeed lucky. Normally its the whole motherboard which is
knackered as the pcbtracks lift and crack.

Never seen anything like that with the branded laptops.

More substantial manufacture should be used on all plugs and sockets on
portable equipment in my view.

Some of them are designed so that even treading on
the cord with it plugged into the laptop etc just sees
it pull out and not damage the socket on the laptop.

And the micro USB connector is designed so that the
plug fails first instead of the socket so all you need is
a cheap new cable.

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

tim

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 11:03:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote on 20/09/2016 :
On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 11:03:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Hang on, what happened to "What a palaver for such a simple part -
still he'll only charge me £20." I thought £20 was far too cheap for a
strip-down and solder job so the £65 is much more realistic tbh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 19:02:29 UTC+1, John wrote:

It came to £65, so I bunged him £70 cash.

Hang on, what happened to "What a palaver for such a simple part -
still he'll only charge me £20." I thought £20 was far too cheap for a
strip-down and solder job so the £65 is much more realistic tbh.

He said that a ballpark figure for such a job was £20 in his initial offer, but it took him longer than usual as I expected it would.

He also cleaned the fans, replaced a couple of lost screws and the memory button cell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1523958 20160920 110233 "tim..." wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up
the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on
fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job
would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75 quid,
even for he simplest task

I've just bought a refurbished IBM T400 for £79.99 - lovely machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked
up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video
on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said
the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

you're lucky

the last time I need to look for a PC repair man charges started at 75
quid, even for he simplest task

About a year ago, I had my Aser laptop repaired. Involved removing one of
the processors due to a dry joint, cleaning the PCB and replacing. Cost
about 50 quid including postage. Not something I'd attempt myself - unlike
changing a power connector.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason writes:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up t=
he part on ebay and it is only =C2=A34.50. However, the youtube video on fi=
tting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job wo=
uld take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me =C2=A320=
.

Done this several times at repair events.
The long part is the disassembly and reassembly.
Often, you find other problems too, such as broken hinges, and that
the laptop fan has been acting as the house vacuum cleaner for some
years, and/or something sticky has been spilt in it in the past.

People usually buy the connector with the flying lead and plug
(sometimes somes with a tiny daughter board), although I don't
recall if I've seen the precise model you have there. There's
not normally any soldering involved.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 20/09/2016, Andrew Gabriel supposed :
In article ,
Simon Mason writes:
[...]

Lots of laptops have the DC jack soldered directly to the motherboard -
I've done four repairs just this last week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/16 04:19, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Similar situation with a Dell XPS.

Only the guy has had it a month and hasn't opened it up yet.

How do I pick em?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 04:20:03 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

What is a
DC power socket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote: