Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Open tread stair w/ vent under top step. Wrong in Closing Step?

I'm planning my first home project which encompasses replacing the
carpetting on the open tread stairs and on the 2nd floor with matching
laminate that is already installed on the first floor. My concern is
that at the last step on the 2nd floor there is a heating/air vent
below the last step. See my lame attempt at an illustration below ( |
=wall, v=vent, __=step). If install a risers which will basically
prevent the air from flowing through the step and force the air down,
will I ultimately screw up the air circulation in a town home that
already has issues with the 2nd floor being hotter than the 1st floor?
On top of this the thermostat is about 4 feet down, and 3 feet to the
left of that vent so I'm thinking the air forcing down will cause the
furnace and air conditioner to turn off prematurely. Or am I being
over concerned for no reason?

__
|v __
| __
| __
| __

Trying to really think this through since it isn't a cheap project.

Thanks,
-EMan
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:30:16 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Emmanuel Pagan wrote:
I'm planning my first home project which encompasses replacing the
carpetting on the open tread stairs and on the 2nd floor with matching
laminate that is already installed on the first floor. My concern is
that at the last step on the 2nd floor there is a heating/air vent
below the last step. See my lame attempt at an illustration below ( |
=wall, v=vent, __=step).

I think you have something here. I"ve taken the liberty of adding a
Y, and I call it "Nude Descending a Staircase".

If install a risers which will basically
prevent the air from flowing through the step and force the air down,
will I ultimately screw up the air circulation in a town home that
already has issues with the 2nd floor being hotter than the 1st floor?
On top of this the thermostat is about 4 feet down, and 3 feet to the
left of that vent so I'm thinking the air forcing down will cause the
furnace and air conditioner to turn off prematurely. Or am I being
over concerned for no reason?

__
v __
__
_Y_
__

Trying to really think this through since it isn't a cheap project.

Planning, planning, planning. Good for you.

I'm sure you've already thought of:
1. No riser for the vent area
2. Extending the vent THRU the riser

My head is spinning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 9:16*am, Emmanuel Pagan wrote:
I'm planning my first home project which encompasses replacing the
carpetting on the open tread stairs and on the 2nd floor with matching
laminate that is already installed on the first floor. My concern is
that at the last step on the 2nd floor there is a heating/air vent
below the last step. See my lame attempt at an illustration below ( |
=wall, v=vent, __=step). If install a risers which will basically
prevent the air from flowing through the step and force the air down,
will I ultimately screw up the air circulation in a town home that
already has issues with the 2nd floor being hotter than the 1st floor?
On top of this the thermostat is about 4 feet down, and 3 feet to the
left of that vent so I'm thinking the air forcing down will cause the
furnace and air conditioner to turn off prematurely. Or am I being
over concerned for no reason?

__
|v *__
| * * * __

Trying to really think this through since it isn't a cheap project.

Thanks,
-EMan

Put a grill in the riser to let the air out.