Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY - a step too far

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:07:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/09/16 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the
world.

And you need this because?....

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that will be accurate worldwide.

and

b) I am recently retired after 40 years and it is the long service watch that BP didn't give me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 22/09/16 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid 1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the
world.

And you need this because?....

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that
will be accurate worldwide.

and

b) I am recently retired after 40 years and it is the long service watch
that BP didn't give me.

Well absolutely, a 10 quartz might only be accurate to within 5 mins over 2
months. Then what are'ya gonna do.
You'll either be early for the fish supper or it'll be cold, life
threatening.
Don't tell me, you don't eat fish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:41:54 UTC+1, bm wrote:

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that
will be accurate worldwide.

and

b) I am recently retired after 40 years and it is the long service watch
that BP didn't give me.

Well absolutely, a £10 quartz might only be accurate to within 5 mins over 2
months. Then what are'ya gonna do.
You'll either be early for the fish supper or it'll be cold, life
threatening.
Don't tell me, you don't eat fish.

I am partial to a nice Whitby kipper cooked on my chiminea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-R6emW8AEpD7q.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/16 17:19, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:07:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/09/16 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the
world.

And you need this because?....

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that will be accurate worldwide.

So tell me what other technology of watch varies its accuracy with
global position?

and

b) I am recently retired after 40 years and it is the long service watch that BP didn't give me.

Oh well, if its toys, fair enough.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/16 17:59, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:41:54 UTC+1, bm wrote:

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that
will be accurate worldwide.

and

b) I am recently retired after 40 years and it is the long service watch
that BP didn't give me.

Well absolutely, a £10 quartz might only be accurate to within 5 mins over 2
months. Then what are'ya gonna do.
You'll either be early for the fish supper or it'll be cold, life
threatening.
Don't tell me, you don't eat fish.

I am partial to a nice Whitby kipper cooked on my chiminea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-R6emW8AEpD7q.jpg

Smoked peppered mackerel 1m:30s in me £30 tescos microwave.

Serve with fresh baked ciabatta and oxford maarmalde.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 18:03:16 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/09/16 17:19, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:07:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/09/16 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the
world.

And you need this because?....

a) I will be going on a two month world cruise in 2020 and need a watch that will be accurate worldwide.

So tell me what other technology of watch varies its accuracy with
global position?

Well, my Nuvicam also sets its time depending on which country you are in. For example, when you drive out of Hungary and into Romania, the clock will advance one hour as soon as you cross the border.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 18:04:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am partial to a nice Whitby kipper cooked on my chiminea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-R6emW8AEpD7q.jpg

Smoked peppered mackerel 1m:30s in me £30 tescos microwave.

Mrs M won't have the house stinking of fish hence the chiminea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:54:51 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 11:53:03 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 20:01:06 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art*culo , Huge
escribió:

And it's *six* *hundred* *pounds*.

900 quid, if you go for the top of the range model.

A thousand quid for a phern that's only marginally better than last
year's model. And omits the headphone jack.

Just goes to prove the adage: "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Nah a only fool would spend more than 50 quid on a watch.

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:21:43 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

Oh and:

"Requires an iPhone or Android phone."

GARBAGE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:21:33 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the
world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the
real time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 20:10:01 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

not something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I watch TV on a 60in screen, not on a poxy phone.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times
when waiting around for something.

I wouldnl't watch a movie on a phone while
hanging around waiting for something.

More fool you.

I have much better things to do during such times.

If I watch a film I prefer to sit down and watch it when I have
the time allocated that's what the majoroty of noram people do.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times when
you need to wait around for something.

it can be handy, so in other words mot very likely.

Although sometimes when I'm ****ed off in teh morning
waiting for a bus I think to myself why don't I watch a
season of game of thrones while I'm waiting.

Or listen to a TED lecture etc and be able to check a lecture slide at
times
etc.

I'd find it more useful to be able to cook a sunday lunch while waiting
for a bus.
I don't mind listening to audio podcasts but not video or playing games.
I prefer to be mentally and physically alert when out and about.

You are much more alert when not listening to a podcast.

3 studetns today have reported bikes going
along the road snatching mobile phones.

Cant snatch mine, its deep in my pocket with
a decent bluetooth neckband headset that lets
me do everything without touching my phone.

Only real downside is that it can be hard for other
people to work out when I am talking to them and
when I am talking to someone else on the phone.

because obviously I;d be watcvhing something on teh smartphone

Not when you are driving you wouldnt.

So why have it on,

So you can listen to the podcast, stupid.

answer I wouldn't ?

I don't watch movies on tiny screens.
I doubt I'd even watch a trailer.

Can be handy when listening to a TED lecture when the
speaker refers to one of its charts on the overhead etc.

sop wouldn;t want to be interupted just
because some idiot couldn't use a map.

Only a terminal ****wit uses a map when driving anymore.

Only a terminal ****wits that don't know where
they are going need to use a map of any kind.

Didnt realise that you know all about the entire world.

I have a 160GB i-pod with 25000 tracks on it for music.

More fool you. It makes a hell of a lot more
sense to have all that on your smartphone.

No it doesn't

Corse it does.

Not for me

Yep, you are that terminal a ****wit.

or most other people.

Most other people do in fact have a smartphone.
Even the most desperate povs infesting that soggy
little frigid island.

and not all smartphone have 160GB for music.

If you want that you'd obviously get one that does.

Yep if you want that then yes. But most don't do they
in fact most phones don't have that sort of capacity.

Because most dont have that much music.

Much more in fact, 256GB is trivially buyable now.

which phones have more storage space then ?

The high end phones, stupid.

How can you navigate on a device, listen to
music and watch a film at the same time ?

Same way you do that with separate devices.

or perhaps play a game which I'd be more likely
to do on a smartphone than watch a movie.

Stupid to have a bag full of the separate devices when
any decent smartphone has them all in the one device.

But it's not very good at all of them

Much better in fact. That pathetic little dinosaur
of an ipod doesnt even have a ****ing screen so
you can navigate thru a decent hierarchy of music
to find the one that you want to listen to or even
show you the overhead of a TED lecture either.

even at being a phone it can fail due to poor signal
quality, I've never have that problem with a landline.

But the cord can be a problem when on the way to work etc.

it doesnt do that any better and is in
fact much worse in a number of ways.

seperate items are usually better

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

This is why they still have cinemas like the imax because not
everyone thibnk a smartphone is the best chopice for watching
movies or much eles realyl oyher than perhaps instgram.

Fine for lots of movies like the TED lectures etc.

I don't consider TED lectures to be movies.

Your problem, as always.

No it doesn't because smartp[hones usually sit in a
pocket and will need taking out and activating to view.

Dont need to view anything to get the time, just say 'Hey Siri Time'

Even you should be able to manage that when not completely blotto.

As well but tehre's plenty of things that are
better done on a computer than a smartphone

And plenty that arent too, like reading the email when
you are out.

People have done that for years on laptops

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have
noticed that a smartphone is just a tad more portable.

and about and being able to decide if it
needs to be replied to immediately or can wait till
you are back where the computer is etc.

Would you say sex is better on a smartphone too ?

Only terminal ****wits such as yourself use blow up dolls and dildos etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2016 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

I paid £130 for my Titanium Citizen, but to me it is the ultimate watch
as it keeps time far better than my requirements. (Yes - you are right -
it is just a simple eco-drive model.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:54:51 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

People still wear watches? How quaint.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:25:11 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:46:49 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:25:11 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on
the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/22/2016 3:46 PM, Tim+ wrote:

People still wear watches? How quaint.

I've gone back to wearing a watch.
When on a plane, or gardening, or out in a storm, I find it easier to
check the time on my wrist, rather than on my phone.
Or when sitting with boring people - it's easier (and less insulting) to
sneak a quick peek at my watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on
the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to Australia, but the phone mast does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:12:19 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks
on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to Australia,
but the phone mast does.

I bet it doesn't work underground where there is no signal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2016 20:46, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:25:11 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

So is mine it was a very expensive £27 from aldi.
Came with a heart rate monitor and does GPS logging too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:22:21 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:12:19 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks
on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to Australia,
but the phone mast does.

I bet it doesn't work underground where there is no signal.

Much like a mobile phone then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:23:56 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/09/2016 20:46, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:25:11 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

So is mine it was a very expensive £27 from aldi.
Came with a heart rate monitor and does GPS logging too.

I got one of those in 2006 - it fell to bits in 2008.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:26:16 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:22:21 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:12:19 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic
clocks on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to
Australia,
but the phone mast does.

I bet it doesn't work underground where there is no signal.

Much like a mobile phone then.

Exactly. The Hoptroff scores over your cheap watch because it can
maintain accurate time without a mobile phone, once set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/16 04:19, Simon Mason wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire S7 and the DC power socket is goosed so I looked up the part on ebay and it is only £4.50. However, the youtube video on fitting it lasted 50 minutes so I took it to a repair man who said the job would take HIM about 1.5 hours.

What a palaver for such a simple part - still he'll only charge me £20.

Similar situation with a Dell XPS.

Only the guy has had it a month and hasn't opened it up yet.

How do I pick em?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 23:31:05 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Halmyre wrote

fix it in place and then replace the 50-odd screws that hold
it together, trying to remember which of the dozen-odd
different shapes and lengths of screw goes where.

That last is one area where a decent phone with a
camera or other electronic camera helps heaps now.

I only tried that trick once, on a painfully constructed item
I wasn't confident of remembering, which is unusual. It
went fine until I needed to consult the pictures, and found
too much in them was in darkness and I was on my own.

Trivially fixable by ensuring decent lighting and
using video mode and deliberately showing
the screw removed to the camera at each step
and which bin each type of screw was put in
in the parts tray etc.

Of course one can always waste time.

No waste of time involved in doing it like that, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

And it's *six* *hundred* *pounds*.

900 quid, if you go for the top of the range model.

A thousand quid for a phern that's only marginally better than last
year's model. And omits the headphone jack.

Just goes to prove the adage: "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Nah a only fool would spend more than 50 quid on a watch.

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave,

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof of
a what a terminal ****wit you have always been.

but to me it is the ultimate watch as it gets
its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

And only a terminal ****wit such as yourself
would actually be stupid enough to spend
anything like that to get that capability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:26:16 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:22:21 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:12:19 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic
clocks on the Navstar satellites. 1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to
Australia,
but the phone mast does.

I bet it doesn't work underground where there is no signal.

Much like a mobile phone then.

Exactly. The Hoptroff scores over your cheap watch because it can
maintain accurate time without a mobile phone, once set.

Ideal for when Simon does a bit of part-time potholing.
He wouldn't be late/early for his fish supper then, matey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update once
you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

But no one needs accuracy in Antarctica.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:23:56 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/09/2016 20:46, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:25:11 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks on
the Navstar satellites. 1300 is very cheap technology.

So is mine it was a very expensive 27 from aldi.
Came with a heart rate monitor and does GPS logging too.

I got one of those in 2006 - it fell to bits in 2008.

Yebut you could've bought ~100 years worth of the aldi ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:21:43 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the
real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

Oh and:

"Requires an iPhone or Android phone."

GARBAGE.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 22/09/2016 16:54, Simon Mason wrote:
I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

I paid £130 for my Titanium Citizen, but to me it is the ultimate watch as
it keeps time far better than my requirements. (Yes - you are right - it
is just a simple eco-drive model.)

I didnt pay a penny for the time on my smartphone
because I have the smartphone anyway and its plenty
accurate enough for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote
Tim+ wrote

People still wear watches? How quaint.

I've gone back to wearing a watch.

Mad.

When on a plane, or gardening, or out in a storm, I find it easier to
check the time on my wrist, rather than on my phone.

Easier to ask it to announce the time when out in a storm etc.

Or when sitting with boring people - it's easier (and less insulting) to
sneak a quick peek at my watch.

Dont need to know the time then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:12:19 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01:14 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

It only uses the radio for checks - it's an atomic clock.

So is mine - it is linked by radio signals to the Cs/Rb atomic clocks
on the Navstar satellites. £1300 is very cheap technology.

Yours doesn't have an atomic clock in it.

Your mobile phone does not have a cable that connects it to Australia,
but the phone mast does.

I bet it doesn't work underground where there is no signal.

He's unlikely to be underground long enough to matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 23:04:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update once
you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

But no one needs accuracy in Antarctica.

I just bought one of these as well - can yours make a phone call from the South Pole?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_hps_bw_c_x_1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 05:20:54 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 23:04:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update once
you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

But no one needs accuracy in Antarctica.

I just bought one of these as well - can yours make a phone call from the South Pole?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_hps_bw_c_x_1

Before you start.

http://bit.ly/2cWaXz1

and

QUOTE;
"Performed flawlessly for a couple of years in the Caribbean, usually when we were at sea and couldn't get a cell signal. Even then it was cheaper than the cell phone charges some of my passengers came home to. Quick and clear connections. Robust construction. Easy to use. Only 4 stars because it's too expensive and the price hasn't changed for years while the competitors have all come way down in price, closer to $500. But it was recommended for reliability and sturdiness."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 23:04:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:00:34 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is
the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the
real
time.

Neither of those are (sic) really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

£20000 for a radio controlled watch that loses its transmitter update
once
you get 1000 km from Mainflingen?

What a load of cobblers - mine will still be accurate in Antarctica.

But no one needs accuracy in Antarctica.

I just bought one of these as well

So its completely stupid to not have a decent
smartphone as well as all that other dinosaur ****.

- can yours make a phone call from the South Pole?

I dont plan to go there any time soon and if I ever do I will
consider getting one if I think I might need to call from there.
There are plenty of places in my country where one of those
is the only way to get reliable communication, but I dont happen
to bother going to those places so dont bother with one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_hps_bw_c_x_1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/16 18:41, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 18:04:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am partial to a nice Whitby kipper cooked on my chiminea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-R6emW8AEpD7q.jpg

Smoked peppered mackerel 1m:30s in me £30 tescos microwave.

Mrs M won't have the house stinking of fish hence the chiminea.

Use microwaveable clingfilm then

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/16 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:54:51 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

People still wear watches? How quaint.

They still wear beards too.!

Tim

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 08:53:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/09/16 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:54:51 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

I paid £1300 for my Titanium Citizen Satellite Wave, but to me it is the
ultimate watch as it gets its time from GPS anywhere in the world.

Some mugs will drop £5000 on a Rolex and they don't even show the real
time.

Neither of those are really ultimate. Get a Hoptroff.

People still wear watches? How quaint.

They still wear beards too.!

And vinyl is also booming.