Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY - a step too far

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2016-09-21, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 13:52:50 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

That "old" i-pod is a 160GB model which will never have such great
capacity

ever again as people want their music on phones, even if it is only a few
GB.

Progress in reverse.

the new iphone 7 you can get with 256GB so buy spenign a relatively
huge

amount yuo can top that old ipod.

Yebbut - with all of the other junk on a phone, such as videos, apps and

photos there won't be anywhere near 160GB available for music.

And it's *six* *hundred* *pounds*.

I bought a Motorola Moto 4G earlier this year and very pleased with it
right from its performance as a phone even to battery life and the
camera.

Not the best in class camera but surprisingly good for what it is still
and video. But I do keep a decent camera in the card with a Zoom
facility for work and the phone sat nav outclasses the car one as it can
show in advance were traffic hold ups are happening as it gets info back
from other cars reporting their speeds.

Just as true of a phone using google maps and you get street view which
allows you to see where you are headed before you get there too.

All in very useful indeed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , pamela
scribeth thus
On 06:05 24 Sep 2016, Simon Mason wrote:

Just heard the 0500 UTC pips on the BBC Worldservice from their
relay station on Ascension Islands on 6005 kHz - my watch was
cock on :-0

Get your watch checked. At 186,000 miles per second there should be a
0.02 sec delay as the signal travels the 3,500 miles from Ascension
to the UK.

Assuming the TX feed delays are compensated for..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
On 24/09/2016 09:36, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 09:31:10 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Even I figured out that a sat nav could do that :-)

And of course just about any smart phone can do that too.

Not on Pitcairn Island it won't - I will be there in 2022.

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would only work with a google cached map.

There are plenty of apps that have just as good maps as his satnav.

That's quite a sat nav you have there.

But it can't do the other stuff any decent phone can do as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 21:59:13 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"RJH" wrote in message
On 24/09/2016 09:36, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 09:31:10 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Even I figured out that a sat nav could do that :-)

And of course just about any smart phone can do that too.

Not on Pitcairn Island it won't - I will be there in 2022.

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would only work with a google cached map.

There are plenty of apps that have just as good maps as his satnav.

Not on a 7 inch HD screen though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
On 24/09/2016 09:36, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 09:31:10 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Even I figured out that a sat nav could do that :-)

And of course just about any smart phone can do that too.

Not on Pitcairn Island it won't - I will be there in 2022.

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would only work with a google cached
map.

There are plenty of apps that have just as good maps as his satnav.

Not on a 7 inch HD screen though.

Wrong again, plenty of phablets like that and tablets too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 06:02:56 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would only work with a google cached
map.

There are plenty of apps that have just as good maps as his satnav.

Not on a 7 inch HD screen though.

Wrong again, plenty of phablets like that and tablets too.

That you can stick on your windscreen which also has an HD dashcam?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtLZ1pAWgAAtpxR.jpg

You learn something new every day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would
only work with a google cached map.

There are plenty of apps that have just as good maps as his satnav.

Not on a 7 inch HD screen though.

Wrong again, plenty of phablets like that and tablets too.

That you can stick on your windscreen

Better to put in on the dash itself, not the windscreen.

which also has an HD dashcam?

Yep, they all do.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtLZ1pAWgAAtpxR.jpg

You learn something new every day.

They have vastly better traffic info too when you use google maps.

And can do a host of other stuff like the engine and fuel
use stuff when you add a dirt cheap OBDII thing too.

And do vastly better POIs and intelligent lookups too.

And very decent voice navigation too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 08:51:46 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtLZ1pAWgAAtpxR.jpg

You learn something new every day.

They have vastly better traffic info too when you use google maps.

My only bugbear is that my 3790T uses an FM subcarrier for the traffic updates (still works very well though) bu tthe Nuvicam uses DAB which needs an extra antenna, but it DOES work all over Europe.

It saved me 3 hours driving from Krakow to Wroclaw last year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2016 11:24, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 11:01:03 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 24/09/2016 09:36, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 09:31:10 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Even I figured out that a sat nav could do that :-)

And of course just about any smart phone can do that too.

Not on Pitcairn Island it won't - I will be there in 2022.

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

Ah very good! My phone, AFAIK, would only work with a google cached map.

That's quite a sat nav you have there.

It's not bad.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtHLDYSWcAAhEVU.jpg

Well, you can obviously get that with a smartphone or tablet - I thought
you meant OS-level detail or satellite images.
Horses/courses - when I'm out on walks I wouldn't want the bulk. Phone
is fine and doubles up for other stuff.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtHLDYSWcAAhEVU.jpg

Well, you can obviously get that with a smartphone or tablet - I thought
you meant OS-level detail or satellite images.
Horses/courses - when I'm out on walks I wouldn't want the bulk. Phone
is fine and doubles up for other stuff.

OS level is on my Nuvi 550.
Battery is good for 4 hours continuous use.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpRu_DfWAAAsREh.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

I have never used a mobile phone of any description.

Only this.

http://amzn.to/2ctQS0K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtLZ1pAWgAAtpxR.jpg

You learn something new every day.

They have vastly better traffic info too when you use google maps.

My only bugbear is that my 3790T uses an FM subcarrier
for the traffic updates (still works very well though)

Nowhere near as well as google maps that uses the movement
of all mobile phones from the bases to see the traffic.

bu tthe Nuvicam uses DAB which needs an
extra antenna, but it DOES work all over Europe.

But the data is pathetic compared with google maps that
uses the movement of all mobile phones for the traffic info.

It saved me 3 hours driving from Krakow to Wroclaw last year.

Yeah, very handy indeed in some situations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

I have never used a mobile phone of any description.

Only this.

http://amzn.to/2ctQS0K

You should get one. You'd be surprised at how useful they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 10:23:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

I have never used a mobile phone of any description.

Only this.

http://amzn.to/2ctQS0K

You should get one. You'd be surprised at how useful they are.

Our lass has one, but she only uses it for texts as it costs real money for anything else.

http://bit.ly/2dqTqic

£500 for 32GB - pathetic. My i-pod has 160GB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 10:23:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

I have never used a mobile phone of any description.

Only this.

http://amzn.to/2ctQS0K

You should get one. You'd be surprised at how useful they are.

Our lass has one, but she only uses it for
texts as it costs real money for anything else.

No it doesnt. Plenty of mobile plans that cost less
per month for unlimited texts and calls than a landline.

In fact some I know have just a mobile because it costs significantly
less per month than a landline and can be used anywhere.

http://bit.ly/2dqTqic

£500 for 32GB - pathetic. My i-pod has 160GB.

There are quite a few with 256GB or can take a 256GB card now.
Much cheaper than that watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 10:59:17 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Our lass has one, but she only uses it for
texts as it costs real money for anything else.

No it doesnt. Plenty of mobile plans that cost less
per month for unlimited texts and calls than a landline.

In fact some I know have just a mobile because it costs significantly
less per month than a landline and can be used anywhere.

My landline is bundled with the WiFi and costs £40 pm and my wife and daughters can all use it which saves them on mobile charges. When we get Lightstream it will fly like a jet as it will be the fastest in the UK.

http://bit.ly/2ctTTOB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:24:17 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

It will - have you ever used a smartphone?

I have never used a mobile phone of any description.

But apparently are an expert on them.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janok wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
They can be but the advantage of a pro camera over a smartphone
is that
you can take the lens(es) that are needed for the job in hand rather
than being stuck with a lens that doesn't even have an optical zoom.

Why would you need a zoom lens for wedding pics?

For framing.

Ah. Didn't realise you were rooted to the spot. How do you get to that
wedding, then?

No zoom lens is ever as good as a prime lens, like for like. If the
ultimate quality is your aim.

It never is with wedding photos. The real aim is the best
pictures which involves a lot more than the ultimate quality.

The best wedding photos are not always posed fixed position photos but
photos taken unawares by the subject, that is where the zoom has benefits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
They can be but the advantage of a pro camera over a smartphone
is that
you can take the lens(es) that are needed for the job in hand rather
than being stuck with a lens that doesn't even have an optical zoom.

Why would you need a zoom lens for wedding pics?

For framing.

Ah. Didn't realise you were rooted to the spot. How do you get to that
wedding, then?

No zoom lens is ever as good as a prime lens, like for like. If the
ultimate quality is your aim.

It never is with wedding photos. The real aim is the best
pictures which involves a lot more than the ultimate quality.

The best wedding photos are not always posed fixed position photos but
photos taken unawares by the subject, that is where the zoom has
benefits.

We've moved on from pics of the happy couple to general wedding pics now?

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...

whisky-dave wrote:
They can be but the advantage of a pro camera over a smartphone
is that
you can take the lens(es) that are needed for the job in hand
rather
than being stuck with a lens that doesn't even have an optical
zoom.

Why would you need a zoom lens for wedding pics?

For framing.

Ah. Didn't realise you were rooted to the spot. How do you get to that
wedding, then?

No zoom lens is ever as good as a prime lens, like for like. If the
ultimate quality is your aim.

It never is with wedding photos. The real aim is the best
pictures which involves a lot more than the ultimate quality.

The best wedding photos are not always posed fixed position photos but
photos taken unawares by the subject, that is where the zoom has benefits.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I said it much too cryptically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason scribeth thus
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 10:59:17 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Our lass has one, but she only uses it for
texts as it costs real money for anything else.

No it doesnt. Plenty of mobile plans that cost less
per month for unlimited texts and calls than a landline.

In fact some I know have just a mobile because it costs significantly
less per month than a landline and can be used anywhere.

My landline is bundled with the WiFi and costs £40 pm and my wife and daughters
can all use it which saves them on mobile charges. When we get Lightstream it
will fly like a jet as it will be the fastest in the UK.

http://bit.ly/2ctTTOB

Well we already have 200 meg here and that in reality is fast enough.
They are talking about 300 meg or more, And its only limited on the up
stream the down isn't, all via co-ax and fibre and VM..

Amazing how Kingston telecom can get fibre rolled out like that and Bt
can't..

Why?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 03:12:40 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 20:40:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 20:10:01 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

not something that does lots of things badly

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I watch TV on a 60in screen, not on a poxy phone.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times
when waiting around for something.

I wouldnl't watch a movie on a phone while
hanging around waiting for something.

More fool you.

I have much better things to do during such times.

If I watch a film I prefer to sit down and watch it when I have
the time allocated that's what the majoroty of noram people do.

Irrelevant to what can be handy at times when
you need to wait around for something.

it can be handy, so in other words mot very likely.

Although sometimes when I'm ****ed off in teh morning
waiting for a bus I think to myself why don't I watch a
season of game of thrones while I'm waiting.

Or listen to a TED lecture etc and be able to check a lecture slide at
times
etc.

I'd find it more useful to be able to cook a sunday lunch while waiting
for a bus.
I don't mind listening to audio podcasts but not video or playing
games.
I prefer to be mentally and physically alert when out and about.

You are much more alert when not listening to a podcast.

yes I know that's why I don;t listen to them when out and about.
In fact I very rarely carry an iPod perhaps once or twice a year I go out
with it and that's uaully to take it someonewhere for a particualar
reason.

3 studetns today have reported bikes going
along the road snatching mobile phones.

Cant snatch mine,

They can.

Not from a bike going along a road they cant.

Why not.
Do you think you are immune from being robbed.
Bike gangs have gone into jewlery stores and stolen 1000s worth
with crowbars and hammers and thatr;'s without needeing a weapon like a gun..

Anything can get snatched.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

It's no suprise to me that you think someone could hit yuo over the head with an iron bar and it'd have no effect on you.
You're probly super human like some of those americans that carry a gun for self defence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-watch-1590666

That isnt from a bike going along a road.

they didn;t need a bike for a getaway they didn;t need a gun or knife and didn;t need to be in a gang, but you managed to miss the point.

and on the plus side it means that you can talk to yuorsaelf or the voices
in your head and people will think you are talking on the phone ;-)

They think I am talking to them when I'm not.

I've never had anyone
assume I am talking to someone on the phone when I am actually
talking to them,

Well hopefully not, but how do they know you aren't talking to them ?

presumably because most of them dont realise
that I can actually use the headset to talk to people on the phone
and they assume I can only listen to music etc on it.

Maybe some assume that, those that have never seen or heard of mobile phones.

because obviously I;d be watcvhing something on teh smartphone

Not when you are driving you wouldnt.

So why have it on,

So you can listen to the podcast, stupid.

Listening is allowed while driving

Duh.

Yep well, done you got it.

viewing a movie is NOT.

You aint viewing a movie when you are just listening to it stupid.

Who'd want to do that unless you're blind ?the vast majoroty of movies/films they tend to think the vast majority of people will be watching that's why the actors and actresses wear clothes or at least period clothes and why CGI is used.

And I do it much more often when walking than when driving anyway.

You do know that there's audio books

Yep, but I prefer podcasts and TED lectures. Audio books are much
too slow a way to read a book for me. But that's because I can read
an ebook much faster than I can listen to an audio book.

what while driving ?

and they target people on long drives, I don't think there are
movies are recomeneded for drivers on long or even short drives.

I couldnt give a flying red **** what is recommended.
TED lectures mostly work fine.

The TED lectures aren't really movies are they. Thre's a lecture going on in my lab at the moment NO vidoe is being shown no movie is being shown.
Can you tell the differnce between a movies a lecture and a corn on the cob.

Can be handy when listening to a TED lecture when the
speaker refers to one of its charts on the overhead etc.

Good old fashioned OHP's I'd almost forgotton about those.

Most lectures do have something like that.

Yep something like.

Like a somg is something like a movie.
Like a car is something like a horse.

Why do you to carry all your music on yuor phone ?

I dont. I dont in fact have any of my music on my phone..

Niether do I.

and not all smartphone have 160GB for music.

If you want that you'd obviously get one that does.

Yep if you want that then yes. But most don't do they
in fact most phones don't have that sort of capacity.

Because most dont have that much music.

Maybe they don't in MP3 or other compressed formats.

They dont in any digital format.

Then you know **** all, which is no suprise.

But I can go to a gig and recodred 30mins and it's 3GB of movie.

Irrelevant to what the music takes.

Lots of people watch music video you have heard of them haven't you.

Much more in fact, 256GB is trivially buyable now.

which phones have more storage space then ?

The high end phones, stupid.

So only the high end phones and teh apple
one is £919 hardly a trival price to pay.

Not all of us are desperate povs like you and your ilk.

So how is it 256GB is trivially buyable now, whatever that means.

Stupid to have a bag full of the separate devices when
any decent smartphone has them all in the one device.

But it's not very good at all of them

Much better in fact.

No they aren't.

Corse they are than with paper maps alone.

Paper maps are still sold and used.

DLSRs are still sold and still being made.

So are buggy whips and button up boots too.

both of which are still used and worn.
I still have tie up shoes NOT trainiers either.

I've never phoned while on the way to work, I've
seen people do it but I've never had that urge.

Can be handy when you show up down the shop after being
sent out to get something, find that what you have been told
to get isnt there and need to ask what to get instead.

No one tells me what to buy I think for myself.

Fine for lots of movies like the TED lectures etc.

I don't consider TED lectures to be movies.

Your problem, as always.

your probelm as usual.
I can tell teh differnce between a movie and a lecture, maybe you can;t but that's your problem.

Chitty chitty bang bang is a movie NOT a lecture on flying machines, you did know that didn't you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Because it is deep in my pocket and I can
shove the ****er over into the traffic if he
is actually stupid enough to try and rob me.

Do you think you are immune from being robbed.

Yep, when they try and rob me that way.

Bike gangs have gone into jewlery stores and
stolen 1000s worth with crowbars and hammers
and thatr;'s without needeing a weapon like a gun.

Those trying to grab a phone from someone on
the street from a bike dont have anything like that.

Anything can get snatched.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-watch-1590666

That isnt from a bike going along a road.

and on the plus side it means that you can talk to yuorsaelf or the
voices
in your head and people will think you are talking on the phone ;-)

They think I am talking to them when I'm not.

I've never had anyone assume I am talking to someone
on the phone when I am actually talking to them,

Well hopefully not, but how do they
know you aren't talking to them ?

From what you say, stupid.

presumably because most of them dont realise that I can
actually use the headset to talk to people on the phone
and they assume I can only listen to music etc on it.

Maybe some assume that, those that have
never seen or heard of mobile phones.

There is no one like that anymore.

None of your even sillier **** worth bothering with, all flushed where it
belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2016-09-26, tony sayer wrote:

[25 lines snipped]

Amazing how Kingston telecom can get fibre rolled out like that and Bt
can't..

Why?..

Scale.

This is presumably Hull and environs, yes? What kind of territory is
that? (Compared to other places that BT might be having to install to,
I mean).

I receive my service through Kinngston Communications and it uses a BT
local end.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 10:04:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
Simon Mason scribeth thus
[...]

They only have a small catchment area, not the entire UK. Plus, they don't really have any serious competition.

Trivia note: In the dotcom boom, the council-held KC shares went from 70p to £17 which made KHCC the richest council in the UK worth £billions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2016-09-26, tony sayer wrote:

[25 lines snipped]

Amazing how Kingston telecom can get fibre rolled out like that and Bt
can't..

Why?..

Scale.

So? Bt's a lot larger then Kcom

And no, not the bathroom kind.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason scribeth thus
[...]

Kcom size compared to BT?..

Plus, they don't
really have any serious competition.

And what competition do BT have for fibre roll out than say VM?...