Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting a new window hole in a 4" thick conrete block wall - tool recommendations?

Hi again,

I want to cut a hole for a new window in my house. It's got fairly standard cavity walls, built of concrete blocks. Actually the blocks are somewhat non-standard as they have foam insulation inside them (I mean inside the actual blocks - not inside the wall's cavity.) The only masonry-cutting tool I own is a 9" angle grinder. This will cut concrete blocks no problem, but only to about 3" deep. I suppose could hire a 300mm grinder for about £28 a day plus the cost of the cutting disk which I'm guessing won't be at all cheap.

Rotary grinders in general make an insane amount of dust. Is there any other tool that anyone can recommend? (I'm visualising something like a very large jig-saw with a diamond blade...)

Thanks for any tips you can offer,

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 4:21:42 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 4:17 PM, jim wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
wrote:
Hi again,

I want to cut a hole for a new window in my house. It's got fairly
standard cavity walls, built of concrete blocks. Actually the blocks are
somewhat non-standard as they have foam insulation inside them (I mean
inside the actual blocks - not inside the wall's cavity.) The only
masonry-cutting tool I own is a 9" angle grinder. This will cut concrete
blocks no problem, but only to about 3" deep. I suppose could hire a
300mm grinder for about £28 a day plus the cost of the cutting disk
which I'm guessing won't be at all cheap.

Rotary grinders in general make an insane amount of dust. Is there any
other tool that anyone can recommend? (I'm visualising something like a
very large jig-saw with a diamond blade...)

Thanks for any tips you can offer,

Mark out, and carefully drill a hole (at right angles to the wall - use a
set square etc to check) right through at each corner. Join up the holes
inside with a pencil, etc. Cut from both sides with your angle grinder..

Erm it's a cavity wall?!

Once you've got nice neat lines from the angle grinder inside and out,
can't you just chisel out the rest?

Yes, I probably could. In the past, I've cut through a 4" concrete block wall using my 9" angle grinder, but this was close to ground level. I've never attempted a cavity wall before, and the desired hole is for a first floor window, so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder. Nightmare job for a retiree like me!

Thanks to the other responders also.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim k wrote:
Mark out, and carefully drill a hole (at right angles to the wall -
use a set square etc to check) right through at each corner. Join up
the holes inside with a pencil, etc. Cut from both sides with your
angle grinder.

Erm it's a cavity wall?!

And?

--
*DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2016 15:34, wrote:
Hi again,

I want to cut a hole for a new window in my house. It's got fairly
standard cavity walls, built of concrete blocks. Actually the blocks
are somewhat non-standard as they have foam insulation inside them (I
mean inside the actual blocks - not inside the wall's cavity.) The
only masonry-cutting tool I own is a 9" angle grinder. This will cut
concrete blocks no problem, but only to about 3" deep. I suppose
could hire a 300mm grinder for about £28 a day plus the cost of the
cutting disk which I'm guessing won't be at all cheap.

I have cut right through a solid brick (i.e. 9" double skin - but no
cavity) wall with a 9" AG in the past. It can get most of the way
through a skin, and then its easy to take the last bit out with a SDS
drill.

Rotary grinders in general make an insane amount of dust. Is there
any other tool that anyone can recommend? (I'm visualising something
like a very large jig-saw with a diamond blade...)

The only thing that really would fit the bill is either a larger stone
saw wit water feed. That cuts down the dust a bit (still very messy and
wet as well though), or, go for a wall chaser based on a 9" grinder
platform, and only fit one disk to it. Armed with a good cyclone
collector you will be able to capture most of the dust.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2016 16:13, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 3:34 PM, wrote:

Rotary grinders in general make an insane amount of dust. Is there
any other tool that anyone can recommend? (I'm visualising something
like a very large jig-saw with a diamond blade...)

Apparently, wet rotary saws make less dust - presumably it ends up as a
nasty wet slurry instead. You'd have to hire one, though.

If I had to do it with the tools I have, I'd tape everything up with
plastic, then use a 9" angle grinder to make a neat hole on the inside
and outside, and then join up those lines with an sds drill and chisel
attachment.

Last time I did it, I was cutting through a wall from someone's garage
into their hall (garage conversion). It started in the garage having
completely closed in the space with sheeting etc. Got dressed up in a
head to toe bunny suit, respirator, goggles, and ear defenders, and took
a 1kW work light with me. I could just about see what I was doing, and I
was able to contain most of the dust in the garage, but not quite
cutting right through into the hall. Then marking the cut position by
drilling through in a few places, before using a wall chaser with
collection to cut the remaining half inch from the hall side of things.

Still created a hell of a mess in the garage though.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
No professional would contemplate cutting a hole like this with any kind
of grinder - the entire house will be filled with dust.

No door in the room? The room where you are cutting out the hole for the
window is going to need decorating anyway - so a little more dust isn't
going to make much difference. I fitted a much larger window to my
bathroom using an angle grinder on a 9" brick wall - and the dust wasn't
spectacular.

It will take 45 minutes with a hammer and bolster chisel.

Really? You must be a fast worker. ;-)

Cut the outside brickwork with any grinder you like.

I'm assuming you've thought about lintels and such likes?

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Good job I didn't know that when I did it. That was with a 12in one!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17-Aug-16 12:43 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
No professional would contemplate cutting a hole like this with any kind
of grinder - the entire house will be filled with dust.

No door in the room? The room where you are cutting out the hole for the
window is going to need decorating anyway - so a little more dust isn't
going to make much difference. I fitted a much larger window to my
bathroom using an angle grinder on a 9" brick wall - and the dust wasn't
spectacular.

It will take 45 minutes with a hammer and bolster chisel.

Really? You must be a fast worker. ;-)

Cut the outside brickwork with any grinder you like.

I'm assuming you've thought about lintels and such likes?

We had a window enlarged when we moved in here - I didn't have the time
to DIY it, and frankly I'd have been scared. Out of my league. They did
it with a Kango hammer, and managed a very neat result.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 10:28:22 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Possible on a ladder but I really wouldn't like to. And most likely you won't end up with a neat result. Won't matter if you're rendering.

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

If you do use a grinder I would not consider hiring. Not much is worth hiring these days.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Possible on a ladder but I really wouldn't like to. And most likely you won't end up with a neat result. Won't matter if you're rendering.

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

If you do use a grinder I would not consider hiring. Not much is worth hiring these days.

I hired a diamond tipped grinder to cut some patio sandstone slabs. Took
ten minutes. cost £15.

Provervial hot knife through butter

Hired a concrete saw to do similar on a lump of concrete I need to lay a
mains cable under.

However I bought a tile saw after my hiring costs exceeded the cost of a
new one.

Is a question of doing the sums.

NT

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you been
pleased with it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 12:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
And then the top of the window hole falls onto your head leaving an
interestingly shaped hole and a crack all the way up the wall.

Brian

Yes, I recall my dad doing exactly that about 40 years ago. He took a
window out to replace it with patio doors, either forgetting that the
window might be structural or assuming that the bricks would support
themselves for a while ... there followed a frantic scramble to get an
Acro in place!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 12:48, wrote:
... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you been
pleased with it?

I got an Ali one recently from BPS:

https://laddersandscaffoldtowers.co....ld-Towers.html

Not made extensive use of it yet, but with what I have done it seems
pretty good. Quick and easy to assemble and feels solid in use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17-Aug-16 10:25 AM, Capitol wrote:
breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Good job I didn't know that when I did it. That was with a 12in one!

Thank goodness you didn't know it was incredibly dangerous. That might
have put you off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 14:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2016 12:48, wrote:
... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you been
pleased with it?

I got an Ali one recently from BPS:

https://laddersandscaffoldtowers.co....ld-Towers.html

Not made extensive use of it yet, but with what I have done it seems
pretty good. Quick and easy to assemble and feels solid in use.

They look interesting, although working at 5 or 6 metres with such a
small width seems slightly worrying, even with outriggers. There's a job
coming up that I was going to pay someone to do (against my religion,
usually) and the saving would pay for one of these towers. Hmmm!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 4:11:35 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On 17/08/2016 14:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2016 12:48, wrote:
... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you been
pleased with it?

I got an Ali one recently from BPS:

https://laddersandscaffoldtowers.co....ld-Towers.html

Not made extensive use of it yet, but with what I have done it seems
pretty good. Quick and easy to assemble and feels solid in use.

They look interesting, although working at 5 or 6 metres with such a
small width seems slightly worrying, even with outriggers. There's a job
coming up that I was going to pay someone to do (against my religion,
usually) and the saving would pay for one of these towers. Hmmm!

I have one of these BPS ones. Honestly I find it a bit flimsy when high up as it wobbles. But I'm not good with heights anyway - and last time I used it I also had proper scaffolding up at the time to compare it with - no contest! It would probably lash it to some fixing eyes before using in anger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
No door in the room? The room where you are cutting out the hole for the
window is going to need decorating anyway - so a little more dust isn't
going to make much difference. I fitted a much larger window to my
bathroom using an angle grinder on a 9" brick wall - and the dust wasn't
spectacular.

It will take 45 minutes with a hammer and bolster chisel.

Really? You must be a fast worker. ;-)

Cut the outside brickwork with any grinder you like.

I'm assuming you've thought about lintels and such likes?

We had a window enlarged when we moved in here - I didn't have the time
to DIY it, and frankly I'd have been scared. Out of my league. They did
it with a Kango hammer, and managed a very neat result.

I used my trusty DeWalt SDS to first remove the bricks for the Acro then
lintel. Once that was in place and the mortar set, cut out the rest with
the angle grinder. Wanted a nice neat cut on the external bricks. And it
worked very well. First time I'd done this. But did have decent
scaffolding since it was first floor.

Angle grinder was a Lidl one with Toolstation diamond blade. Nice soft
start - and the two cost less than hiring.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 16:11, wrote:
On 17/08/2016 14:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2016 12:48,
... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you been
pleased with it?

I got an Ali one recently from BPS:

https://laddersandscaffoldtowers.co....ld-Towers.html

Not made extensive use of it yet, but with what I have done it seems
pretty good. Quick and easy to assemble and feels solid in use.

They look interesting, although working at 5 or 6 metres with such a
small width seems slightly worrying, even with outriggers.

Yup it will wobble about a bit, but hopefully not fall down. As with any
portable access device, it feels a whole lot better when tied on at the top!

(I should also say I have not used mine at full height yet (I got the
5.5m one with outriggers and adjustable feet))

There's a job
coming up that I was going to pay someone to do (against my religion,
usually) and the saving would pay for one of these towers. Hmmm!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
[...]

And in almost all cases the sums say buy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/17/2016 10:28 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I found a three story commercial aluminium one on eBay for about £600,
it's about 6 foot by 4 foot but each bit including the three trapdoor
platforms is an easy lift, I can put it up to full height single handed
(I'm 67 and not particularly athletic). Easily justified in my case for
full repoint and repaint front and rear. Also makes me popular with the
neighbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/17/2016 7:18 PM, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2016 16:11, wrote:
[...]

I looked at those before I got mine, but went for a second hand "pro"
one with larger base area rather than these "cheap" new "diy" ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k wrote:
Mark out, and carefully drill a hole (at right angles to the wall -
use a set square etc to check) right through at each corner. Join up
the holes inside with a pencil, etc. Cut from both sides with your
angle grinder.

Erm it's a cavity wall?!

And?

His angle grinder only cuts to 3" he says, so he can't cut from
the cavity sides of both leaves of the cavitywall, unless he's
really thin ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:

Mark out, and carefully drill a hole (at right angles to the wall -
use a set square etc to check) right through at each corner. Join up
the holes inside with a pencil, etc. Cut from both sides with your
angle grinder.

Erm it's a cavity wall?!

And?

His angle grinder only cuts to 3" he says, so he can't cut from
the cavity sides of both leaves of the cavity
wall, unless he's
really thin ;-)

He doesn't need to. Please go & read a basic diy manual.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Mark out, and carefully drill a hole (at right angles to the wall -
use a set square etc to check) right through at each corner. Join up
the holes inside with a pencil, etc. Cut from both sides with your
angle grinder.

Erm it's a cavity wall?!

And?

His angle grinder only cuts to 3" he says, so he can't cut from
the cavity sides of both leaves of the cavity
really thin ;-)

Ah. My angle grinder cuts through a standard brick. Thought that was why
it was the size it is. But even if not, a nice neat edge to the face as
deep as it will go followed by splitting should still give a decent job.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17-Aug-16 7:18 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Yup it will wobble about a bit, but hopefully not fall down. As with any
portable access device, it feels a whole lot better when tied on at the
top!

Should houses have eyes in the brickwork for this purpose? It wouldn't
be expensive, and I'm sure that Elfin Safety would approve.