Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill a hole in concrete block wall for a 1/2" PVC pipe

I would like to drill a hole through my 8" concrete block wall to pass a
1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe through from the outdoor to the inside courtyard
area to continue the sprinkler branch.

Problem is I have a 9/16" hammer drill, I don't have a mean heavy duty
demolition hammer drill.

I believe a 1/2" niminal PVC pipe has an outside diameter a little bigger
than 3/4". Is there a masonry bit longer than 8" and wider than 3/4" that
could be used for my hammer drill? Or do I need to rent a big one from the
tool store just for one hole?

If there is not one big enough, is there something else I can do to get
around this - for example, using 1/2" CPVC - those are much skinnier and if
I can just use that for the stretch through the block...don't know, probably
not a good idea.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 9:37�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

start by drilling small hole then go larger, gradually.

stores often have larger sized bits that are turned down to fit
smaller drills.

or buy a large harbor freight hammer drill they are cheap and work
great, for occasional home use......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:37*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

OD of 1/2" pipe is .840"

you really need a rotary hammer with a 7/8 bit.

but this might work... search string was........ 7/8 masonry bit
with reduced shank

http://www.hermanscentral.com/produc...cfm?sid=google

what size bits do you currently have?

In your situation, I'd drill through with 3/8 or 1/2, bump up to 9/16
(or skip it if you started with 1/2), finish with the 7/8

or rent a larger hammer with a 7/8" bit & blow through it.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
[...]

Bob the biggest masonry bit I have is 1/2", but I have no bits that is
longer than 8" so I need bits in any case. I just wasn't sure if a big bit
with a smaller shank will actually have the power to do the job, I know the
right hammer will chew through it like butter.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Rent a rotary hammer. The drill bit that you will get with it will be
long enough. Cost isn't that high and there are times when trying to
do it "on the cheap" just isn't worth it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

You can take a small diameter bit, drill holes
in a triangle or box pattern through the void
in the block and knock the center out with a
chisel. I've used the method to make holes of
all sizes and shapes through CMU walls. You can
use a 1/4" bit to make a 4" hole for a dryer
vent using the method to cut through the void
in the block. It may not work too well if the
blocks are filled in. I have cut through solid
concrete that had no rebar in it but your results
may vary.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.hermanscentral.com/produc...it-w-12-reduce...

what size bits do you currently have?

In your situation, I'd drill through with 3/8 or 1/2, bump up to 9/16
(or skip it if you started with 1/2), finish with the 7/8

or *rent a larger hammer with a 7/8" bit & blow through it.

cheers
Bob

Bob the biggest masonry bit I have is 1/2", but I have no bits that is
longer than 8" so I need bits in any case. *I just wasn't sure if a big bit
with a smaller shank will actually have the power to do the job, I know the
right hammer will chew through it like butter.

MC

Will your 1/2" bit drill drill through the entire wall thickness?

If so, then it will have removed ~1/3 of the total material needed to
be drilled out.

As another poster had mentioned (& you as well), a proper sized hammer
& bit will make short work of the hole.

Years ago before I switched to Hilt TE-Y and Milwaukee SDS hammers,
I had a hammer drill with "standard" drill chuck, the bits would
always come loose.

If yours stays tight you might be able to do the job purchasing a
couple new bits (maybe 1/2" or 9/16" in addition to the 7/8" bit) for
less than rental...its a tossup. Try to get rotary / percussion bits
without reduced shank if they will fit the drill.

It might be more difficult with the littler hammer drill but after its
done you'll have a set of bits & capability.

I think these bits are probably a better match to your tool.

http://www.hermanscentral.com/depart... ssion)%20Bit

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
[...]

I did rent one yesterday. I was at Harbor Freight and they had a rotary
hammer for sale at $59.00 and I was thinking whether I should get one to
this and may be other future once in a blue moon projects. But I decided to
let it go and do the rental.

The cost is not a big factor, is just having to make two trips there to rent
and return.

Well as expected, whenever I have a simple task to do it always get
complicated.

I went to a nearby Home Depot to rent a hammer, the guy recommended a Makita
cordless, so the drill was $32 for 4 hours, I needed a 1" masonry bit and
that was $11 etc...walked out the door for $45.00 or so, thinking may be I
should have gotten the cheapo hammer at Harbor Freight.

Turning out of Home Depot driveway there were two cars in front of me,
traffic clears, we turned out of the driveway and the car in front of me
suddenly stopped, no idea why, and I bumped her in the rear. Pulled over
and looked at damages, no one is hurt which is good. I looked at her car
and the rear end looked like someone had crashed into her rear at 50mph
previously causing huge damages, and my car bumped into her at 5mph the most
and caused a little dent on the bumper. I said did your car have an
accident previously and she said "you hit me it's your fault". We called
the police and the city police came and turned out the road we were on, the
south side of the centerline is the county and north is the city and city
police left then county police came later...I got a citation and probably
had to pay for all the damages to her car despite the pre-established
conditions. I got the feeling this was somewhat staged. Nonetheless I was
cited for rearending and that's $156 of fine right there.

Anyways after almost 2 hours at the HD driveway I was on my way back.
Drilled one hole and the stupid drill ran out of battery after one minute.
They did give me a spare so I plugged that in and was able to get the two
holes I needed done done as the second battery dies. I had a charger too,
and I remember another spot I needed a hole drilled, I plugges the charger
in and after 30 min still no good.

So that's my rental story.