Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Drill a hole in concrete block wall for a 1/2" PVC pipe

On Nov 13, 6:37*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I would like to drill a hole through my 8" concrete block wall to pass a
1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe through from the outdoor to the inside courtyard
area to continue the sprinkler branch.

Problem is I have a 9/16" hammer drill, I don't have a mean heavy duty
demolition hammer drill.

I believe a 1/2" niminal PVC pipe has an outside diameter a little bigger
than 3/4". *Is there a masonry bit longer than 8" and wider than 3/4" that
could be used for my hammer drill? *Or do I need to rent a big one from the
tool store just for one hole?

If there is not one big enough, is there something else I can do to get
around this - for example, using 1/2" CPVC - those are much skinnier and if
I can just use that for the stretch through the block...don't know, probably
not a good idea.

Thanks,

MC

OD of 1/2" pipe is .840"

you really need a rotary hammer with a 7/8 bit.

but this might work... search string was........ 7/8 masonry bit
with reduced shank

http://www.hermanscentral.com/produc...cfm?sid=google

what size bits do you currently have?

In your situation, I'd drill through with 3/8 or 1/2, bump up to 9/16
(or skip it if you started with 1/2), finish with the 7/8

or rent a larger hammer with a 7/8" bit & blow through it.

cheers
Bob