Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting a new window hole in a 4" thick conrete block wall - tool recommendations?

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 12:30:08 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/08/16 11:59, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 10:28:22 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/08/16 10:21, GB wrote:
On 16-Aug-16 6:58 PM, breeze wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 08:34:22 -0700, trancenotes1776 wrote:

so I'll be doing the outside using a ladder.

make sure your life insurance is up to date

Seriously you cannot use an angle grinder on a ladder
Unless you have at least three arms

Possible on a ladder but I really wouldn't like to. And most likely you won't end up with a neat result. Won't matter if you're rendering.

Surely, a platform is not that expensive to hire? Apart from the weight
of a 9" angle grinder, it has quite a lot of gyroscopic force. You
really need both hands on the angle grinder.

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

If you do use a grinder I would not consider hiring. Not much is worth hiring these days.

I hired a diamond tipped grinder to cut some patio sandstone slabs. Took
ten minutes. cost £15.

Provervial hot knife through butter

Hired a concrete saw to do similar on a lump of concrete I need to lay a
mains cable under.

However I bought a tile saw after my hiring costs exceeded the cost of a
new one.

Is a question of doing the sums.

And in almost all cases the sums say buy.

NT