Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cut hole in cement block load bearing wall for window A/C?

I have an attached garage with cement block outside wall that I would
like to cut a hole in large enough for a 15,000 - 20,000 btu window
a/c. Feasible??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an attached garage with cement block outside wall that I would
like to cut a hole in large enough for a 15,000 - 20,000 btu window
a/c. Feasible??

Sure. I've done it on a few houses. Add a lintel on the top. It is possible
to notch and fit a lintel in place, but you can also cut the opening wider
than what is needed, then put the steel on top and support it with brick
under it. If you can put the hole under a window there is less weight to be
supported also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

aside from a lintle, you should also consider the width of the wall, and how
that will affect the air movement in the ac housing.
when they are window mounted, there are narrow window frames/sills for the
ac to rest on, giving some space for air flow.
you may need to add similar structure for air flow.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an attached garage with cement block outside wall that I would
like to cut a hole in large enough for a 15,000 - 20,000 btu window
a/c. Feasible??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. net...
aside from a lintle, you should also consider the width of the wall, and
how that will affect the air movement in the ac housing.
when they are window mounted, there are narrow window frames/sills for the
ac to rest on, giving some space for air flow.
you may need to add similar structure for air flow.

I had to read your post a couple of times to understand. I think you mean
the wall thickness. You don't want to block the side vents in the case of
the AC unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are split AC units kinda pricey but only ned holes for coolant
lines, more secure if thats a issue

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. net...
aside from a lintle, you should also consider the width of the wall, and
how that will affect the air movement in the ac housing.
when they are window mounted, there are narrow window frames/sills for

the
ac to rest on, giving some space for air flow.
you may need to add similar structure for air flow.

I had to read your post a couple of times to understand. I think you mean
the wall thickness. You don't want to block the side vents in the case of
the AC unit.

Not a problem- you just buy a 'wall-through' unit, rather than a window
unit. And for service, the guts slide out without breaking the weather seal
on the casing.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:11:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have an attached garage with cement block outside wall that I would
like to cut a hole in large enough for a 15,000 - 20,000 btu window
a/c. Feasible??

Sure. I've done it on a few houses. Add a lintel on the top. It is possible
to notch and fit a lintel in place, but you can also cut the opening wider
than what is needed, then put the steel on top and support it with brick
under it. If you can put the hole under a window there is less weight to be
supported also.

Good advice, I've seen this done(with the brick work on the bottom for
a sill), and it looked very nice. Especially if you trim it out, and
hide the lental behind molding.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com