Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting a new window hole in a 4" thick conrete block wall - tool recommendations?

In article ,
GB wrote:
No door in the room? The room where you are cutting out the hole for the
window is going to need decorating anyway - so a little more dust isn't
going to make much difference. I fitted a much larger window to my
bathroom using an angle grinder on a 9" brick wall - and the dust wasn't
spectacular.

It will take 45 minutes with a hammer and bolster chisel.

Really? You must be a fast worker. ;-)

Cut the outside brickwork with any grinder you like.

I'm assuming you've thought about lintels and such likes?

We had a window enlarged when we moved in here - I didn't have the time
to DIY it, and frankly I'd have been scared. Out of my league. They did
it with a Kango hammer, and managed a very neat result.

I used my trusty DeWalt SDS to first remove the bricks for the Acro then
lintel. Once that was in place and the mortar set, cut out the rest with
the angle grinder. Wanted a nice neat cut on the external bricks. And it
worked very well. First time I'd done this. But did have decent
scaffolding since it was first floor.

Angle grinder was a Lidl one with Toolstation diamond blade. Nice soft
start - and the two cost less than hiring.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.