Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove a parked car

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 00:18:57 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large
power tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of
twig flying everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)

Trouble with that approach is that you have to be out there
ready with the large power tool when the car shows up.

If the car is there when I don't know about it, it doesn't affect me.

It does if you happen to be on the net when it gets parked there
and notice it parked there once you stop trolling in here.

When I notice it, then I take action to remove it.

But when you notice it there well after the driver has left, a large
power tool such as a brush cutter wont be any use for removing it.

When she's in, she's usually in her living room opposite.

And when she isnt...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 01:04:34 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 00:20:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:37:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:37:03 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 14 August 2016 16:37:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power
tool
such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying
everywhere.
The car will get moved very quickly :-)

The road in front of your house is not yours.
Anyone can park there subject to yellow lines etc.

Does that include parking across your drive so you can't get your
car
in
or
out? I know that you can't lay claim to the road *opposite* or
*either
side
of* your drive.

Well, you can't lay claim to the road, but it is a parking offence
to leave a vehicle parked across a dropped kerb (introduced in
the 2004 Traffic Management Act)

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped
kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where
they
haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

The council can ticket it, or potentially get a vehicle removed.
Think for single driveways they tend not to enforce this (s it
may well be the householder or someone with permission.) Unless
the householder specifically complains about it.

(According to our local council when I spoke to them about it re
our driveway).

We quite often get people parking across our drive as we are near
the village shops and there is at times limited parking space.
Normally they are just stopping for a minute or two. Annoying if
you want to get out (though normally we aren't,) but not the end
of the world.

We did call the police one night when someone left their car
parked across it and as it happens my wife was on call (O&G
consultant, if she gets called in in the middle of the night,
it's because someone's birth is going pear shaped in a pretty
big way) . They managed after a while to locate the driver and
get them to move it.

If someone blocked the exit to my drive and I needed to get out
(especially as urgently as your wife), I'd reverse into the offending
car
and shove it out of my way.

But its unlikely she drives a wreck of a car like
you do given that she needs something reliable.

Reversing a car slowly into the side of another won't damage it,
especially if it has a towbar.

But you wont be able to do that if you have backed your car into your
driveway.

I don't do stupid things like that

And wont work if you don't have a towbar.

The back of a car is still much stronger than the side.

Not necessarily. Modern plastic bumpers don't last long when you
use the car to shove another car out of the way sideways and the
lights are in fact much more expensive to replace than a new door.

I've never ad a problem when someone rams the back of me because they weren't paying attention.

And only someone with a wreck would use the back of the car to do that
anyway.

Not if they knew it was stronger than the sides.

--
What's a diaphragm?
A trampoline for dickheads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Her car gets scratched.

--
They have Mother's day for Mothers and Father's day for Fathers -- so what do they have for Single Men?
Palm Sunday
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 22:34, Tim Streater wrote:

left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they haven't
bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

You can drive across any pavement in order to gain access to the land
behind it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 00:27:34 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Yet everyone does it. There are countless drives like that around here.
It is no more dangerous to anyone to drive over one than a dropped one.

Nothing to do with danger. A dropped kerb implies that the pavement has
been strengthened where it will be driven over, to protect the services
underneath. Not the case where it's not dropped.

Yes, very obvious round here where the pavements are badly cracked where
people drive over them. Driveways aren't cracked!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 22:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If your driveway doesn't have a dropped kerb...
You commit an offence every time you drive in out across the pavement,

Sorry but that's wrong.

and anyone is allowed to park across it (unless there is some other
parking restriction which prevents this.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 19:15, ARW wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power
tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying
everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)

Would love to know how to get rid of an abandoned car in the road,
where we are short of parking places.

When I was a young and stupid teenager I would have moved it for £20
cash and no questions asked.

This is one of those occasions when citizens should act, but
surreptitiously so the authorities aren't forced to act. Have a word in
the ear of the local cops, then late at night pull the car onto a
transporter (smash the glass to release the handbrake and knock it into
neutral) and take it away. The destination is your choice, but if it's
left somewhere where it's causing an obstruction the council will remove
it. A possibility is somewhere along a long straight narrow rural road.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Sure but that's a separate issue to moving a car parked across your driveway
that way.

And it wouldn't work anyway. Even if you don't care about any damage
to your own car, the car shoved would end up in the middle of the road
and you would be legally liable for any damage that occurs to it.

And only someone with a wreck would use the back of the car to do that
anyway.

Not if they knew it was stronger than the sides.

The back of your own car isnt if you don't have a towbar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But doesn't get moved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:04:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty dropped kerbs
left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they haven't
bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

When I bought this house the previous occupants had been here *years*
and because it was an EOT, had a garage in the back garden that they
use to park their car in, regularly driving over the pavement to do
so.

I had been here a few years myself when I received a letter from the
Council informing me that it was illegal to drive over the pavement
and I should desist doing so or ... pay to have the kerb dropped and
proper crossover laid ... with accompanying white lines etc, which I
did.

So, just because 'everyone' (and it isn't 'everyone' of course) does
something, doesn't mean it is right.

snip

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 19:02:07 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 14 August 2016 16:37:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power tool
such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying everywhere.
The car will get moved very quickly :-)

The road in front of your house is not yours.
Anyone can park there subject to yellow lines etc.

Does that include parking across your drive so you can't get your car in or
out? I know that you can't lay claim to the road *opposite* or *either side
of* your drive.

We have problems with people (relatives visiting to the house opposite) who
choose to park directly opposite our drive rather than a few yards one way
or the other (between our drive and either of our neighbours). It makes it a
bit more difficult to reverse our car onto our drive or to drive it out, but
it's not the end of the world. I asked politely once whether they'd be able
to park a few yards either way, and was told "I'll park wherever I f*cking
like, mate - and don't you f*cking bash my f*cking car". I suspect envy:
although all the houses along our bit of the street used to be council
houses, the ones on the opposite side of the road were built with no drives
(they have a communal car park 100 yards up the road) and those houses are
mainly still owned by the housing association, whereas those on our side
have drives and many were sold off in Maggie's Right to Buy scheme in the
80s.

People that don't have off road places to keep a car shouldn't be allowed to have one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Only in the snobbiest towns would anyone do anything about you driving over your own section of pavement. Why do you think those little ramps sell so well?

--
Friends are like condoms: They protect you when things get hard.

It's not your pavement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

That's due to trucks driving on the pavement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 21:28:12 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 18:05:41 +0100, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 16:37:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)

The road in front of your house is not yours.
Anyone can park there subject to yellow lines etc.

Everybody round here has adequate driveways to park their cars in. Parking on the road is chavvy and inconsiderate.

Parking on the verge is even worse.
You can always tell chavvy areas by the state of the verges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:01:48 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

People that don't have off road places to keep a car shouldn't be allowed to have one.

And yet another example of just how disconnected you are from the real
world, up there in your subsidised (by us) ivory tower. Maybe part of
taking the FIT from other electricity consumers is that you should
hand over all of your spare parking to the rest of us? Fair's fair?

The Highways Act 1980, Obstruction of highways and streets:

"137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
offence and liable to a fine .. "

So, whilst there already is legislation that should prevent all roads
from being free for two way traffic, the chances are that the
authorities generally 'turn a blind eye' whilst the general population
get's on with it and whist there are no accidents etc.

My mum used to sometimes park her car in a local side road (they had
their own off-street parking but if they had visitors etc ... ) and it
was 'accepted' they all parked the same side to keep the other side
free / clear for (very local, just that crescent) traffic.

She leant her car to a friend who parked it back in the same road but
on the 'wrong side'. It turned out a Fire Engine needed to get round,
the Police were called and Mum got a fine for 'obstruction', along
with all the other cars that were causing such (the friend paid the
FPN for her of course).

Luckily, where we live the road is very wide so even with cars parked
both sides, two lorries can still pass in the road with room to spare
.... but that's not the case for many (most?) high roads in the UK!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

When I bought this house the previous occupants had been here *years*
and because it was an EOT, had a garage in the back garden that they
use to park their car in, regularly driving over the pavement to do
so.

I had been here a few years myself when I received a letter from the
Council informing me that it was illegal to drive over the pavement
and I should desist doing so or ... pay to have the kerb dropped and
proper crossover laid ... with accompanying white lines etc, which I
did.

So, just because 'everyone' (and it isn't 'everyone' of course) does
something, doesn't mean it is right.

Quite.

Here is someone who got it wrong:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/way/story-24077907-detail/story.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 00:57, James Wilkinson wrote:

Only in the snobbiest towns would anyone do anything about you driving
over your own section of pavement. Why do you think those little ramps
sell so well?

If you find one of those hazards while you are driving you take it to
the tip.
If it reappears you get the council to take it to the tip and issue a fine.
There is enough litter about without little ramps being left about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:51:00 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

T i m wrote:

When I bought this house the previous occupants had been here *years*
and because it was an EOT, had a garage in the back garden that they
use to park their car in, regularly driving over the pavement to do
so.

I had been here a few years myself when I received a letter from the
Council informing me that it was illegal to drive over the pavement
and I should desist doing so or ... pay to have the kerb dropped and
proper crossover laid ... with accompanying white lines etc, which I
did.

So, just because 'everyone' (and it isn't 'everyone' of course) does
something, doesn't mean it is right.

Quite.

Here is someone who got it wrong:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/way/story-24077907-detail/story.html

I think I remember hearing of that on the news (or something very like
it). I think she was saying she had to go a long way round to get to
the new car park but that's something that sometimes happens.

When I was working for BT my journey to / from work progressively got
longer, not because either of us moved, but they blocked the top of my
road and then built a bypass and because people were then using an
alternative route (that made it about the same as it was for me at the
beginning if I was on a bike) as a rat run, then blocked off even more
roads to make the rat-run longer and therefore (hopefully) less
worthwhile for those using it as such.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it. There are countless drives like that around here. It
is no more dangerous to anyone to drive over one than a dropped one.

Nothing to do with danger. A dropped kerb implies that the pavement has
been strengthened where it will be driven over, to protect the services
underneath. Not the case where it's not dropped.

Utter bull****. People park on pavements all the time. And pavements
are at least as strong as my driveway.

What an ignorant twerp it is, to be sure.

when I needed "highway access" for our first house - the original access
being on a bit of the garden that had been sold off - I was required to
build the access to "highway standards" for 6 feet from the road edge. A
full 5 cuyds of Readymix solved that. 1965 that was and it still looks as
strong as ever.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

No it's not. Trucks don't use that road (and there are too many poles at
roadside to let them reach the pavement). We're talking the whole length
of the pavement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways
where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

But look at the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 09:30, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it. There are countless drives like that around
here. It
is no more dangerous to anyone to drive over one than a dropped one.

Nothing to do with danger. A dropped kerb implies that the pavement has
been strengthened where it will be driven over, to protect the services
underneath. Not the case where it's not dropped.

Utter bull****. People park on pavements all the time. And pavements
are at least as strong as my driveway.

What an ignorant twerp it is, to be sure.

Clueless is another word.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:18:20 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

On 15/08/2016 00:57, James Wilkinson wrote:

Only in the snobbiest towns would anyone do anything about you driving
over your own section of pavement. Why do you think those little ramps
sell so well?

If you find one of those hazards while you are driving you take it to
the tip.

If it reappears you get the council to take it to the tip and issue a fine.
There is enough litter about without little ramps being left about.

Yup.

"Leaving ‘things’ (including advertising boards) on the highway

According to the Highways Act 1980 ( Section 148 and Section 149) it
is an offence if ‘a person deposits any thing whatsoever on a highway
to the interruption of any user of the highway without lawful
authority or excuse or if the thing “constitutes a nuisance” ‘ or
constitutes a “danger to users of the highway (including a danger
caused by obstructing the view)” then they they can remove it without
delay and recover the cost of removal from the owner. This can be used
by councils (sometimes) to removed advertising boards."

https://pedestrianliberation.org/the-law-2/

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they
do this on purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 01:36:17 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 14/08/2016 22:34, Tim Streater wrote:

left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they haven't
bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

You can drive across any pavement in order to gain access to the land
behind it.

But isn't that only where there is the provision (typically a dropped
kerb)?

*Obviously* every one of us who has to drive ride across the pavement
to gain access to our property *has* to also drive on / across the
pavement ... but then there would typically be a dropped kerb (as it
was suggested by the Council I would have to have to allow me to
continue to gain vehicular access to my own property).

However, maybe the reason nothing is generally done about it (the
authorities seeing your vehicle on a piece of land where the only way
on would be to mount the kerb and drive across the pavement) is that I
believe they have to witness you doing so, as you could have had the
vehicle craned there.

Plus many of the local authority / and other service vehicles also
often drive up the kerb and across the pavement and park (or work on)
their own property so I think it's one of those things where there
simply aren't enough personnel (or desire) to deal with 99% of it.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways
where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

But look at the Road Traffic Act 1988.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, that may be only where there has
been some provision for that, like a dropped kerb?

The fact that it's not specifically mentioned may not mean that it can
be assumed to be ok?

I thought one reason it *wasn't* allowed is because of potential
damage to the kerb?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or
driveways where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

But look at the Road Traffic Act 1988.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, that may be only where there has been
some provision for that, like a dropped kerb?

The fact that it's not specifically mentioned may not mean that it can
be assumed to be ok?

I thought one reason it *wasn't* allowed is because of potential damage
to the kerb?

I'm just wonndering if there is something else that allows councils to
insist on it, like a local byelaw that they pretty well all have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:11:31 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

snip

"Leaving ‘things’ (including advertising boards) on the highway

According to the Highways Act 1980 ( Section 148 and Section 149) it
is an offence if ‘a person deposits any thing whatsoever on a highway
to the interruption of any user of the highway without lawful
authority or excuse or if the thing “constitutes a nuisance” ‘ or
constitutes a “danger to users of the highway (including a danger
caused by obstructing the view)” then they they can remove it without
delay and recover the cost of removal from the owner. This can be used
by councils (sometimes) to removed advertising boards."

https://pedestrianliberation.org/the-law-2/

Cheers, T i m

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental).

Same here.

Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance.

It is, especially if you are trying to 'make good progress'. ;-)

Do you suppose they
do this on purpose?

I think they possibly might. If you spoil the sight line like that
then I guess it forces (good) drivers to slow their speed accordingly?

They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

Easy target, easy money, although they never seem to be where the
really bad drivers are to punish them? ;-(

That said, I was behind a police car when then came to a car that had
pulled out of a petrol station intending to turn right and obstructed
that one lane. The Police car pulled in front of them, forcing them
back into the petrol station and later on I saw the car still parked
up and the occupants walking off.

So, either they were pulled up for 'obstructing the free flow of
traffic' or the Policemen recognised the driver and had history on him

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us which
have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously maintained,
so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see over the
roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they do this on
purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

It's not too bad if the centre of the roundabout is obscured by trees or a
large hump of land. The real problem is when they put a large sign (eg a
direction sign) low down on the island between the entry and exit lanes for
a road leading onto the roundabout, obscuring your view of traffic from the
right when you are waiting to join the roundabout. If they are going to put
a sign there (and it's a good place for traffic wanting to know which road
to take) then they need to put it on legs that are high enough that you can
see under the sign when you are checking whether it's clear yet to pull out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they
do this on purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

On the approaches to this roundabout:

http://goo.gl/maps/k1xYx

a barrier has been erected so that you can't see approaching
traffic until the last minute, presumably with the intention of
making you approach the give way line more slowly, rather than
speeding through if you think it is clear.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or
driveways where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

But look at the Road Traffic Act 1988.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, that may be only where there has been
some provision for that, like a dropped kerb?

The fact that it's not specifically mentioned may not mean that it can
be assumed to be ok?

I thought one reason it *wasn't* allowed is because of potential damage
to the kerb?

I'm just wonndering if there is something else that allows councils to
insist on it, like a local byelaw that they pretty well all have.

I know some councils have different rules on pavement parking so it's
entirely possible.

When they wrote to me stating that they believed I had been crossing
the pavement illegally to access my garage (so where did that come
from if I'm allowed to access my own property by crossing the
pavement?).

I had just put the remains of a car out on the road for collection by
a scrap man and they had noticed that it had no TAX. I wrote back
saying that it didn't have an engine as I had removed it to build a
kit car (so wasn't a 'motor vehicle') and because of the Council
notifying me about not crossing the pavement with anything (including
a sledge I believe), I wasn't able to return it to my own property
when the scrap-man failed to turn up as arranged. I think the best
they could do then was do me for 'obstructing the highway' as I could
for leaving a wheely bin on the road or a skip. I sent them copies of
the councils letters, including my acceptance of their offer to
provide a dropped kerb and it was all dropped. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:12:57 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they
do this on purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

On the approaches to this roundabout:

http://goo.gl/maps/k1xYx

a barrier has been erected so that you can't see approaching traffic
until the last minute, presumably with the intention of making you
approach the give way line more slowly, rather than speeding through if
you think it is clear.

On the 'old' road past the south side of the old Manston Airport, they've
done something similar. The old road is narrow and partially residential,
but the 'new' one is a dog-leg and longer. They haven't had much success
discouraging people from using the old road, so they put in a single lane
bit (for no other reason) and then put traffic lights on it with a long
dwell time. Of course, people jumped the lights rather than wait, so they
put up signs that block the view of other vehicles on the other side of
the lights...

Streetview images are too old to show it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Would love to know how to get rid of an abandoned car in the road,
where we are short of parking places. Not MoT'ed and SORN'ed.
Been there for 18 months. Interior now all gone moldy.

Council slapped a removal notice on it, but owners contacted them
and said they hoped to get it working again, which technically
means it's not abandoned, so council can't remove it.

Council however reported it to DVLA because it's SORNed and on the
public road, but DLVA did nothing.

A local policeman also tried to get it removed, but couldn't find
any way to do so and gave up.

Use a trolley jack to move it into the middle of the road. Then complain.

Is this a private road?

I'd also contact the DVLA myself. SORN means kept *off* the public roads,
so no VED payable. If it is on a public road VED is applicable even if it
never moves an inch.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Council however reported it to DVLA because it's SORNed and on the
public road, but DLVA did nothing.

I thought it was an offence to have a car on a public road without an
MOT?

It certainly is with no VED paid. Think it has to be insured too. But no
MOT may only be an offence if driven.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Does that include parking across your drive so you can't get your car
in or out? I know that you can't lay claim to the road *opposite* or
*either side of* your drive.

If your driveway has a dropped kerb, it must not be obstructed.

Yes - at one time you paid extra rates for this. Dunno if it applies with
the council tax.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 11:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they
do this on purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

Yes, it'll be deliberate. Same as the barriers on the central
reservation as you approach a roundabout to stop you seeing it. The idea
is it restricts your visibility, so forces you to slow down - I suspect
this works as intended, reducing accidents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 15/08/2016 11:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Talking of obstructing the view, there are a few roundabouts near us
which have bushes and trees cultivated on them (they are obviously
maintained, so their presence is not accidental). Not being able to see
over the roundabout is a bit of a bloody nuisance. Do you suppose they
do this on purpose? They seem to like punishing motorists round here.

Yes, it'll be deliberate. Same as the barriers on the central
reservation as you approach a roundabout to stop you seeing it. The idea
is it restricts your visibility, so forces you to slow down - I suspect
this works as intended, reducing accidents.

Maybe, but I think it makes it a bit more dangerous. The one I have in
mind is a small roundabout; and if you have already had to stop, it's
quite common to pull out into it, thinking (but not really sure) that
it's clear, while someone is just about to appear coming round the
corner to your right. You're committed by now, so all you can do is
keep going. I've never got used to it, and I go across the bloody thing
twice a day :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 22:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If your driveway has a dropped kerb, it must not be obstructed.

If your car is trapped on your drive then the police will deal with
the obstructing vehicle, but they won't help you if you simply
cannot access your drive from the road, dropped kerb or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 23:04, James Wilkinson wrote:

Only if you're a stupid pedant. Most people are sensible enough to
avoid parking in front of a DRIVEWAY, not a dropped kerb.

If there is no dropped kerb, then you are not causing any
obstruction.

In fact I would intentionally park across a driveway that
has been built without a dropped kerb just to make a point
that the house owner is a cheapskate.