Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How to remove a parked car

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:04:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty dropped kerbs
left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they haven't
bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

When I bought this house the previous occupants had been here *years*
and because it was an EOT, had a garage in the back garden that they
use to park their car in, regularly driving over the pavement to do
so.

I had been here a few years myself when I received a letter from the
Council informing me that it was illegal to drive over the pavement
and I should desist doing so or ... pay to have the kerb dropped and
proper crossover laid ... with accompanying white lines etc, which I
did.

So, just because 'everyone' (and it isn't 'everyone' of course) does
something, doesn't mean it is right.

snip

Cheers, T i m