Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How to remove a parked car

On 15 Aug 2016 10:35:38 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:25:42 +0100, T i m wrote:

On 15 Aug 2016 09:22:23 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:56:45 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:04:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:34:17 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty
dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or
driveways where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

Which is illegal to drive across.

Yet everyone does it.

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to
Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

But look at the Road Traffic Act 1988.

And as I have mentioned elsewhere, that may be only where there has been
some provision for that, like a dropped kerb?

The fact that it's not specifically mentioned may not mean that it can
be assumed to be ok?

I thought one reason it *wasn't* allowed is because of potential damage
to the kerb?

I'm just wonndering if there is something else that allows councils to
insist on it, like a local byelaw that they pretty well all have.

I know some councils have different rules on pavement parking so it's
entirely possible.

When they wrote to me stating that they believed I had been crossing
the pavement illegally to access my garage (so where did that come
from if I'm allowed to access my own property by crossing the
pavement?).

I had just put the remains of a car out on the road for collection by
a scrap man and they had noticed that it had no TAX. I wrote back
saying that it didn't have an engine as I had removed it to build a
kit car (so wasn't a 'motor vehicle') and because of the Council
notifying me about not crossing the pavement with anything (including
a sledge I believe), I wasn't able to return it to my own property
when the scrap-man failed to turn up as arranged. I think the best
they could do then was do me for 'obstructing the highway' as I could
for leaving a wheely bin on the road or a skip. I sent them copies of
the councils letters, including my acceptance of their offer to
provide a dropped kerb and it was all dropped. ;-)

Cheers, T i m