Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Lidl parking

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them. On that
occasion, the till person obviously forgot to ask me for my details.
Not
that I noticed at the time. And they could have changed the system
anyway.

Emailed the car park company and said I'd paid by plastic so they could
check with the store easily that I'd used the store on the date and
time
in question.

Some time later, I've had an email asking me to prove I made a
purchase.
They want a copy of the till receipt.

As it happens I do still have it - as I bought something with a
warranty.
But had it been just groceries, would have been junked the same day.

So I've told them to check themselves. Be interesting to see what
happens
next.

I'm not being horrible, but it seems to me that most of these parking
problems happen in the south.
We have never ever had problems parking in supermarket car parks in the
north.
Even if we won £40M we would never move to the south.
See, I've not been horrible.

We?

Is there more than one of you?

There is a Mrs Pounder Esquire.

Do you have bigger tits than her?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:33:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no
****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

Because he worked in the middle of London or some other city?

In the 1950s?

Even then, central London would have a parking problem

and it was most definitely the centre of the universe where jobs where
concerned

Working in central London wasn't just the preserve of finance and media (as
it is now), even "engineering" companies had offices there.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them.

There's plenty online, especially in local groups, of people
who've ignored these demands and simply thrown them away
without any consequences at all.
As its cropped up before, and so presumably is actually
in their letter they can't "fine" anyone. Only the Courts
can do that.

I'm not sure of the legal basis on which people have got away
with ignoring these things, but a few minutes Googling may
provide more information.

the legal basis is that it's more expensive for the company to collect the
required evidence that they have complied with all the rules on "private
parking enforcement" than to let you off. So they let you off. (Of course
it could be that they may have started to compile that evidence only to
discover that they don't have it - I couldn't possible comment)

Unless you just happen to be the one that they chose to take to court to
remind all the numpties who maintain that "they have no right to "fine"
you", that they do, in fact have that right (if they have complied with all
the rules on "private parking enforcement" etc, etc)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim w" wrote in message
On 09/10/2015 14:11, michael adams wrote:

I'm not sure of the legal basis on which people have got away
with ignoring these things, .....

Simply this:

If you have some land you can run a private car park, no question. Put a
bloke in a kiosk or a pay and display machine, whatever you like,

BUT you are NOT entitled to issue a fine or a ticket for non-compliance

yes they are (subject to satisfactory signage etc)

or failure to pay and you are NOT entitled to clamp either.

So what looks like a parking ticket is actually only an invoice for
inflated charges on the basis that you agreed to a contract when you
parked there because the terms were written up on a sign. But you didn't
read the small print and even if you did unreasonable terms are
unenforceable under consumer legislation.

So it is a scam tolerated by every town council in every town centre in
the land. If you ignore the demands the 'fine' wil be doubled and doubled
until it is in the hundreds and backed up by letters from solicitors that
probably don't even exist, with charges added on so it can get quite
scary. In the end it is all bluster and hollow threats. they can't enforce
it in court.

Oh yes it can

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:11:23 +0100, michael adams wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[quoted text muted]

There's plenty online, especially in local groups, of people who've
ignored these demands and simply thrown them away without any
consequences at all.

Dangerous advice, post Beavis. *Probably* what would happen. But the
courts have allowed it now.

As it happens I wasn't advising the OP to do anything. I was simply making
an observation.

Any advice on offer would have been in the webpage to which I left a link

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...going-far.html

As to Beavis I'm not aware of any judgement being made,
and in any case with Beavis, there is no disagreement as
to fact.

Beavis has been found in favour of the parking company at the appeal court,
as such is precedence creating and applies everywhere (in England)

The Supreme count have heard Beavis' (2nd) appeal and the world is awaiting
their response.

(After that there's nowhere else to go - this isn't a subject likely to get
a very positive response for a hearing at the European court)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scion" wrote in message
Adrian put finger to keyboard:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,

Their cold meats are nice, and where else do you go when the craving for a
tin of herrings in mustard and parsley sauce hits?

rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range,

Some stuff is comparable, some *is* much cheaper.

The cleaning materials in particular

and as I don't eat it I don't care if it doesn't taste (smell) as nice, as
long as it does the job as well (it does)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:51:23 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:45:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking
space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored
system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the
spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop
there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will
take their place.

Yes. The Lidl car park at Clapham Junction isn't as big as many of their
others - and before the scheme could be difficult to get a space.

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on large
areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to park my
car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with ****ing
tickets.

and bugger the people who live in town centres and don't have cars then

That's a stupid place to live. Towns are for shops and factories.

--
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:11:48 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:51:32 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?

Strange sometimes. Dumpton Park (near Broadstairs) is a commuter station.
Not as busy as it used to be, perhaps, but the car park is tiny (about 8
spaces). Yet there used to be a load of spare land nearby, which was used
for a small housing estate.

Now you have to drive through the housing estate to get to the car park.

Probably full of immigrunts.

--
If you consider television dangerous but routinely carry explosives in your clothing, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:20:37 +0100, ARW wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside
an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?

Why would you want a car park at a train station? If you have a car, why
not use it for the whole journey?

'cos there's nowhere to park at the other end. And, if you work in London,
the train gets you there quite a bit faster.

I can do Ruislip Manor to Oxford Street faster in my van than on the tube if
I avoid rush hours. There is always somewhere to park, but it costs.

In your job you can be flexible about th time you travel at.

--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 07:48:17 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 09/10/2015 20:06, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Rather than NEEDING a car to go to an out of town supermarket ALdi/Lidl
seem to be mainly targeting sites where people actually live and where
people can walk to shop.

You do know what a supermarket is, right? I fill the equivalent of 6 large rucksacks when I go to a supermarket. That requires a car.

--
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or the tiger. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, trampling and eating everything it sees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Graham." wrote:

the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

where the Lidl car park is the only source of free parking within walking
distance of the high street, if they didn't operate this scheme the only
workable alternative is to make everybody pay

beware what you wish for

Happened the other way round here ... the council car parks used to be
free until a few years ago, independent bakery became a Gregs, two
larger Waitroses opened within driving range, so the tiny Waitrose is no
longer the draw it used to be, and the range of shops generally is less
attractive.

Then Aldi opened, if they hadn't gone with a CCTV scheme I daresay
motorists would inundate their car park rather than paying for the
council one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:58:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 21:38:48 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 09/10/2015 21:25, charles wrote:
In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card?
Did you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase
does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have
get and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside
an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to
Heathrow airport.

No it isn't.

Since the station waa built before the age of the motor car - and Town
&
Country planning did not exist - it is very similar

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter
station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was
seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

Women driving? Next thing they'll will be smoking pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzqAC_7Vxg

Blocked. But this one isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVer2e3TX6s

Oh look

****ing autoplay's turned itself back on again -
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd expect so. When I were a lad in the '50s, it was far less common for
women to drive - even if there was a family car, which again wasn't
everyone.

Women drivers don't have to be bad..
I find the ones taught to drive by their husbands are bad, the ones that
had a driving instructor are far better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Nope.

what part of:

"This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your
country on copyright grounds"

do you not understand

;-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

shouldn't it be Mrs Pounder Madam

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

[...]

That's a purely practical consideration and isn't a satisfactory
legal basis for ignoring their letters.

The only legal basis for doing so, would be if they'd never
won such a case. And even then circumstances might change.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I just said, above.

(After that there's nowhere else to go - this isn't a subject likely to get a very
positive response for a hearing at the European court)

tim

Unlike in this case, AFAIUI Beavis is appealing simply on the grounds
that it's "unfair"; on a matter of principle, not on matters of fact.
And as such I'm rather surprised that he's got this far.

In this case the OP is in the right, he shopped at Lidl and
didn't exceed the limit. And there's proof of this as he paid
by credit card and his car was filmed by the CCTV both
in and out. So he doesn't need to do anything or explain
himself in any way. As it happens he helpfully explained to
them that he'd paid by CC, which is more than I'd have done.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
You do know what a supermarket is, right? I fill the equivalent of 6
large rucksacks when I go to a supermarket. That requires a car.

You use rucksacks with a car? Knew you were odd.

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
But why did he not drive to work?

Because there were no ****ing parking spaces there either.

But surely, since you obviously have lost the use of your legs, they'd
give you a disabled space?

Where did you get the idea that I was the hypothetical driver?
Do keep up, dearie.

Right. So the lack of parking merely hearsay. Figures.

Because you and Adrian snip relevant parts of the dialogue, context gets
lost. Try to follow things. The whole bit from just before you asked "And
the wife drove in those days?" was not about a specific individual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Parking in Central London is so expensive (and often difficult) that I
never use the car. The trick is to plan your PT journey to give the most
pleasant one. Sitting on a tube is about the most boring thing ever -
while the top of a bus can be ok, although slower. After all, tourists pay
good money for bus tours of London. ;-) But of course if simply commuting,
speed is likely the essence.

Speed and reliability. What most hated about commuting (it's thirty
years since I last had to) was getting to the station to find a train
cancelled etc: all too easy for a ~30 minute journey to the suburbs to
become 2 hours. Or longer when it was a case of dashing out from a
theatre to catch the last train home which was not running so then a
long round-about journey by an alternative route.

--
DJC
(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
complain about poor PT without ever using it.

Why should I?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Of course.
I hear that your latest gf has two backs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

As in Madam Pounder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:53:01 +0100, Richard wrote:

Because you and Adrian snip relevant parts of the dialogue, context gets
lost.

I only snip the irrelevant bits, and all the relevant context is still
there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article5_ydndeLUZDrTYXLnZ2dnUU78XmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Why would anyone want to from choice?

Some 9 million?

You don't really think they want to live there do you? It has
to be experienced on an occasional basis to really see and smell how bad
it is. Transport is messed up, no parking, even if you can reach your
destination. The people are very unappealing, I suspect because they are
so unhappy. Housing is unobtainable for the average wage individual.
It's a mess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:53:01 +0100, Richard wrote:

Because you and Adrian snip relevant parts of the dialogue, context gets
lost.

I only snip the irrelevant bits, and all the relevant context is still
there.

Debatable.
From my post:
Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter
station (Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it
was seldom more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky
enough to have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

No. She stayed at home with the car and did woman's work.

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

And my mum drove the car in the 50s.

There is quite a lot that goes straight over the top with you.

Even Liz drove a truck in the 40s and could fix basic problems too.

Victoria didn't drive and she should have fixed some basic problems when it
was not politically incorrect to do so.
/q

Adam's response to yours:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:51:42 +0100, Richard wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?
/q

And from there, poor old Dave couldn't cope with following what was going
on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
But why did he not drive to work?

Because there were no ****ing parking spaces there either.

But surely, since you obviously have lost the use of your legs, they'd
give you a disabled space?

Where did you get the idea that I was the hypothetical driver?
Do keep up, dearie.

Right. So the lack of parking merely hearsay. Figures.

Because you and Adrian snip relevant parts of the dialogue, context
gets lost. Try to follow things. The whole bit from just before you
asked "And the wife drove in those days?" was not about a specific
individual.

Remember Adrian doesn't do reading very well. Maybe Dave is
similarly challenged!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:33:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

Because he worked in the middle of London or some other city?

In the 1950s?

The traffic was still buggered up in the 50s. The London smogs
were appalling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:33:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

Because he worked in the middle of London or some other city?

In the 1950s?

Many of the suburbs were built long before then. And many did indeed work
in central London and go in by train or tube.

The travel costs them IMO were much more affordable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:36:59 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
You do know what a supermarket is, right? I fill the equivalent of 6
large rucksacks when I go to a supermarket. That requires a car.

You use rucksacks with a car? Knew you were odd.

No, that was the first thing I thought of the size of the plastic crates I use that everyone would know the size of.

--
What is the first thing a blonde learns when she takes driving lessons?
You can also sit upright in a car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
You do know what a supermarket is, right? I fill the equivalent of 6
large rucksacks when I go to a supermarket. That requires a car.

You use rucksacks with a car? Knew you were odd.

You'd have to if you walked.

--
I met this gal in a bar and one thing lead to another. I said, "Let's go back to my place."
She said, "Oh, do you have cable?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:25:15 +0100, tim..... wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles

wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

You do realise Rod is in Australia? For some reason the BBC wishes to give non-license payers such as him access to the videos, but not us.

Of course if you didn't use a ****ed up browser that admits what country you're in, you'd see it just fine, as I did.

--
How do you embarrass an archeologist?
Give him a used tampon and ask him which period it came from.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Different video, also funny.

--
I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 05:12:24 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:45:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking
space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored
system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the
spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop
there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will
take their place.

Yes. The Lidl car park at Clapham Junction isn't as big as many of their
others - and before the scheme could be difficult to get a space.

Supermarkets should have adequate parking.

Easier said than done in some places.

Then they shouldn't be in those places. People shopping in supermarkets buy a lot at once, so need a car.

They should be sited on large areas of ground.

Tends to a bit of a shortage of those in some places
where some are silly enough to want to live and shop.

Then they can drive out to where the supermarket is.

If they don't, they can **** off.

Off got sick of being ****ed.

You're supposed to turn somebody on before ****ing.

I want to park my car, go shopping, then go home.

And I use supermarkets where I can do that.

Tad radical I know.

Same here. So what are they grumbling about up there?

I will not mess about with ****ing tickets.

I might well do if there is no alternative
and I want to use that supermarket because
what they have on offer is better than in
the supermarket that does use tickets,
particularly if when not having tickets
you can't find anywhere to park.

Having tickets would be a BIG reason to avoid it. Other reasons include having to remember a £1 coin for your trolley, having silly voucher schemes, and insisting you wear a shirt to shop.

--
I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
MM wrote
Chris wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

[...]

Nowadays, EVERYthing's linked, EVERYthing's discoverable.

Nope. Tell me what my mobile phone number is.

Tell me what my care number plate is.

You have a care number?

He needs it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 05:34:03 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card?
Did you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase
does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to
get and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside
an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to
Heathrow airport.

No it isn't.

Since the station waa built before the age of the motor car - and Town &
Country planning did not exist - it is very similar

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

All these problems are solved by not living so close to each other. I
don't have parking problems in Scotland.

But you do have a hell of a problem getting
and keeping a well paid job or even one
that you would be happy to do for free.

No more than I would in London. And in London you need a much better paid job as the house prices are stupid.

--
Aisle oven ice bitters are chasm!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 05:30:54 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:25:52 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

And everything nearby is equally old is it?

Irrelevant.

See below.

When a building is knocked down, a car park should be made if there aren't
enough already.

Pity about who owns that building and the land
its on and why the knocked the building down
and what they replaced it with.

The council is in control of what is allowed to be built where.

--
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'Edit, Undo.'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/15 15:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first
reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it
returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually
mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

Tunbridge Wells is getting an Aldi - not far from the station (well
right next to, if you include Tunbridge Wells West station!).

Although it's not somewhere I'm likely to do my regular shop[1] I'm
expecting to go and sample their more interesting items...

[1] I could be persuaded, but we'll have to see...

That was my thinking about a year ago. Now about 80% of our weekly
shop comes from Aldi and the rest from a fortnightly trip to ASDA and
the odd trip to Costco.

What don’t you get from Aldi and is that because you don’t like
Aldi's offering on that, the price or because its not stocked ?

It is a mix of offering and stock Rod. We prefer unsliced bread and
Aldi don't stock that. I am diabetic so we buy diet cold drinks and
Aldi are often sold out.
Prices are better or equal to those of ASDA.
Wine quality at Aldi is excellent but stock levels are variable which
leads me to stock up when I see a favourite in stock, which depletes
the stock for the next customer of course!

Thanks for that. We are about to get one. Previously the closest
was $50 in petrol away and I never did buy anything on the few
occasions I was in that town for other reasons, mainly because
I do have very decent stocks of what I use much. Going to be
interesting to see how much I use it when it opens. Quite a bit
I expect, may as much as you do, although I do get quite a bit
of stuff from the source of the stuff like with the biggest
chicken operation in the southern hemisphere which is
just down the road and from the producers with stuff
like limes and lemons.

Rod, it is possible that they may have different stocking policies in
your part of the world. Initially I used to go in for their promotional
items - tools etc and then tried a few food items and liked them and it
grew from there. I still can't just write out my shopping list and
expect to get everything in ALDI but in UK they and several other
supermarkets supply their prices to www.mysupermarket.com
And so I can see exactly who sells what and for how much as well as the
special offers. So far LIDL have refused to play ball with the website
but ALDI, ASDA, Tesco, sainsburys, morrisons waitrose and ocado show
their wares.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article5_ydndeLUZDrTYXLnZ2dnUU78XmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's the arsehole of England, biggest ******** in the country.

parking OT? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 37 October 7th 15 05:37 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Another Dave UK diy 142 July 23rd 10 09:58 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 2 July 16th 10 12:13 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM