Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl parking

Talking about terms and conditions, does anyone actually read them on
anything these days.
I had this very silly thought the other day that if I wanted to run a car
park I'd put in the terms, all patrons parking here have to disrobe before
entering the shop as the s staff need a good laugh.
:-)

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Phil L" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them. On that
occasion, the till person obviously forgot to ask me for my details. Not
that I noticed at the time. And they could have changed the system
anyway.

Emailed the car park company and said I'd paid by plastic so they could
check with the store easily that I'd used the store on the date and time
in question.

Some time later, I've had an email asking me to prove I made a purchase.
They want a copy of the till receipt.

As it happens I do still have it - as I bought something with a warranty.
But had it been just groceries, would have been junked the same day.

So I've told them to check themselves. Be interesting to see what happens
next.

I've never been to an Aldi or Lidl that has parking charges of any kind,
almost all the ones I know of are shared car parks, Lidl shares with a
large gym chain, Aldi shares with Halfords, Maplins, Iceland and a few
poundshops etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Nightjar cpb wrote:

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out

Which fails as a technique if they miss you going out.

The local Sainsbury's have never failed in that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
All these problems are solved by not living so close to each other. I
don't have parking problems in Scotland.

That probably depends where in Scotland.

Certainly does. He's never obviously been to a city there.

Indeed. try parking near Waverley Station

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

Must be your neighborhood!

Nah. He walked into a hall of mirrors once and the experience has scarred
him for life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should
be sited on large areas of ground. If they don't, they can
**** off. I want to park my car, go shopping, then go
home. I will not mess about with ****ing tickets.

Rather than NEEDING a car to go to an out of town supermarket ALdi/Lidl
seem to be mainly targeting sites where people actually live and where
people can walk to shop.

They don't do that here. Most of them do need a car to be able to get to.

I can't think of any of ours that you can walk to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 00:44:32 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Or, indeed, the centre of any major city anywhere worldwide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 19:07:43 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Aldi is just about the only grocer still selling breadcrumbed
Camemberts.

Are you incapable of egg-dipping then breadcrumbing your own camembert?

Alternatively, just take an unbreadcrumbed camembert, unwrap it then put
it back in the box - and put the box in the oven. Take the lid off, and
dip crusty bread in. Even better than deep-fried breadcrumbed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:58:45 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 21:38:48 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 09/10/2015 21:25, charles wrote:
In article , Tough Guy no. 1265

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card?
Did you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase
does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have
get and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside
an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to
Heathrow airport.

No it isn't.

Since the station waa built before the age of the motor car - and Town
&
Country planning did not exist - it is very similar

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

Women driving? Next thing they'll will be smoking pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzqAC_7Vxg

Blocked. But this one isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVer2e3TX6s

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/10/15 14:36, Bob Minchin wrote:

They are the scum of the earth using frightening tactics to extort
money. Going through the courts as they suggest costs them far too much
and they don't bother.

Bit like TVL then...

They say they will be visiting me on the Thurday:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
newshound wrote

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter
station (Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but
it was seldom more than half full. Most of those commuters who
were lucky enough to have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

No. She stayed at home with the car and did woman's work.

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

And my mum drove the car in the 50s.

Even Liz drove a truck in the 40s and could fix basic problems too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote
Chris wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

[...]

Nowadays, EVERYthing's linked, EVERYthing's discoverable.

Nope. Tell me what my mobile phone number is.

Tell me what my care number plate is.

Tell me what the last transaction on my card was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

Talking about terms and conditions, does anyone actually read them on
anything these days.

A few of the most anal do.

I had this very silly thought the other day that if I wanted to run a car
park I'd put in the terms, all patrons parking here have to disrobe before
entering the shop as the s staff need a good laugh.
:-)

Bet if you did that, it would be noticed pretty quickly.

"Phil L" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Why would anyone want to from choice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/15 15:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it
returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

Tunbridge Wells is getting an Aldi - not far from the station (well
right next to, if you include Tunbridge Wells West station!).

Although it's not somewhere I'm likely to do my regular shop[1] I'm
expecting to go and sample their more interesting items...

[1] I could be persuaded, but we'll have to see...

That was my thinking about a year ago. Now about 80% of our weekly
shop comes from Aldi and the rest from a fortnightly trip to ASDA and
the odd trip to Costco.

What don’t you get from Aldi and is that because you don’t like
Aldi's offering on that, the price or because its not stocked ?

It is a mix of offering and stock Rod. We prefer unsliced bread and Aldi
don't stock that. I am diabetic so we buy diet cold drinks and Aldi are
often sold out.
Prices are better or equal to those of ASDA.
Wine quality at Aldi is excellent but stock levels are variable which
leads me to stock up when I see a favourite in stock, which depletes the
stock for the next customer of course!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Nope.

But this one isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVer2e3TX6s

Better than his.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:51:32 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?

Strange sometimes. Dumpton Park (near Broadstairs) is a commuter station.
Not as busy as it used to be, perhaps, but the car park is tiny (about 8
spaces). Yet there used to be a load of spare land nearby, which was used
for a small housing estate.

Now you have to drive through the housing estate to get to the car park.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 23:18, polygonum wrote:
On 09/10/2015 18:13, Nightjar cpb wrote:
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Which fails as a technique if they miss you going out. They might then
see a going-in one day and a going-out the next - and assume an
overnight+ stay.

That would require a failure of both the outgoing capture on the first
day and the incoming capture on the second, which would be a very low
probability event.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Why would anyone want to from choice?

Because a lot more happens there than anywhere else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. We are about to get one. Previously the closest
was $50 in petrol away and I never did buy anything on the few
occasions I was in that town for other reasons, mainly because
I do have very decent stocks of what I use much. Going to be
interesting to see how much I use it when it opens. Quite a bit
I expect, may as much as you do, although I do get quite a bit
of stuff from the source of the stuff like with the biggest
chicken operation in the southern hemisphere which is
just down the road and from the producers with stuff
like limes and lemons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?

Presumably because that is easier said than done there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2015 10:14, Nightjar cpb wrote:
On 09/10/2015 23:18, polygonum wrote:
On 09/10/2015 18:13, Nightjar cpb wrote:
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Which fails as a technique if they miss you going out. They might then
see a going-in one day and a going-out the next - and assume an
overnight+ stay.

That would require a failure of both the outgoing capture on the first
day and the incoming capture on the second, which would be a very low
probability event.

It happened to us.

They might simply have ignored/not noticed the incoming capture. I don't
know what the accuracy of such ANPR systems is, but they must have a
certain failure rate due to being blocked such as by taller vehicles,
heavy rain or snow, or obscuring of plates even by a leaf.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"Capitol" wrote in message
news:5_ydndeLUZDrTYXLnZ2dnUU78XmdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Why would anyone want to from choice?

Because a lot more happens there than anywhere else.

Sounds a good reason not to move to London :-)

I like living in the sticks where nothing much happens, where there are
no car parking charges, no large supermarkets, no traffic lights, no
roundabouts, no belisha beacons ...

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

Richard wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
newshound wrote

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter
station (Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it
was seldom more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky
enough to have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

No. She stayed at home with the car and did woman's work.

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

And my mum drove the car in the 50s.

There is quite a lot that goes straight over the top with you.

Even Liz drove a truck in the 40s and could fix basic problems too.

Victoria didn't drive and she should have fixed some basic problems when it
was not politically incorrect to do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

Why haven't they built a car park?

Money?

Collingham train station has recently built a car park due to the numbers of
cars parked on the country road next to the station[1].

The car park is empty as everyone still parks on the road as they do not
like to pay for the parking.

[1] I did a very nice LED car park lighting job the-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles writes:

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it doesn't
end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

At one of the ones I use, you have to enter your number into
a console in store, but only if you parked for over 90 minutes,
IIRC.

It's easy walking distance so I only drive if I'm going back
collect something which is too big to carry home, which is
going to be 10 minutes tops, but I do still type my number in.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:51:42 +0100, Richard wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:31:38 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Most of the local hospitals use this sort of system these days, but
what throws a lot of them is blind people with blue badges, as we can
turn up in almost any car, so their cunning plan to ally a car number
with a badge won't work.

But they can (and do) insist only disabled tax cars are valid ...
certainly Birmingham Town Hall does ...

Well, since it's unlikely the blind person will be driving

Considering the way many motorists leave their cars parked I would not be so
sure about that.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

The best idea is to not use shops in places like that.

Ok. I'll drive for an hour or more to Lakeside. No parking restrictions
there.

Do you enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face?

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
polygonum wrote:

Nightjar cpb wrote:

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out

Which fails as a technique if they miss you going out.

The local Sainsbury's have never failed in that way.

There is such at setup at the Beehive Centre in Cambridge (big Asda and
other stores). 3 hrs free parking

Generally works fine, and I have no problem with it - otherwise everyone
would use it to park in all day and go into central cambridge.

But it did cock up with a friend of mine. They went in and out in the
morning, and then went back in and out in the afternoon.

I can't remember if the recording system failed or it was a software
error - but it recorded here as being there all day
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:51:42 +0100, Richard wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Supermarkets should have adequate parking.

Easier said than done in some places.

Surely not in that vast country you are so proud of?

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2015 20:06, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Rather than NEEDING a car to go to an out of town supermarket ALdi/Lidl
seem to be mainly targeting sites where people actually live and where
people can walk to shop.

They actually have several smaller stores closer to me than the one in
question. But don't all have the 'special offers' which entice me to Lidl.

So it's easier to go to a large one knowing it will.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:51:42 +0100, Richard wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

Because there were no ****ing parking spaces there either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

No. She stayed at home with the car and did woman's work.

I'd expect so. When I were a lad in the '50s, it was far less common for
women to drive - even if there was a family car, which again wasn't
everyone.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/10/15 09:10, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/10/15 14:36, Bob Minchin wrote:

They are the scum of the earth using frightening tactics to extort
money. Going through the courts as they suggest costs them far too much
and they don't bother.

Bit like TVL then...

They say they will be visiting me on the Thurday:-)

Posting a video?

I will be at work if they call in the daytime. I wonder if I should leave a
note on the door with my mobile number (a new PAYG number not my number) and
see if s/he calls that? The CCTV would pick up the conversation if they
called.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Rather than NEEDING a car to go to an out of town supermarket
ALdi/Lidl seem to be mainly targeting sites where people actually
live and where people can walk to shop.

They don't do that here. Most of them do need a car to be able to get
to.

As it was here too, when they first arrived. The smaller local stores came
later.

I can't think of any of ours that you can walk to.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Tough Guy no. wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

Why would anyone want to from choice?

Some 9 million?

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:33:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

So why didn't he park the car at the station ?

Because he preferred to walk to the station, or there were no ****ing
parking spaces.

Or, more likely, because people weren't so inherently lazy, so didn't
even consider driving half a mile to the station...

But why did he not drive to work?

Because he worked in the middle of London or some other city?

parking OT? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 37 October 7th 15 05:37 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Another Dave UK diy 142 July 23rd 10 09:58 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 2 July 16th 10 12:13 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM