Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl parking

Aldi is just about the only grocer still selling breadcrumbed
Camemberts. Their junk collection is much wider than Lidl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/15 15:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

Tunbridge Wells is getting an Aldi - not far from the station (well
right next to, if you include Tunbridge Wells West station!).

Although it's not somewhere I'm likely to do my regular shop[1] I'm
expecting to go and sample their more interesting items...

[1] I could be persuaded, but we'll have to see...

That was my thinking about a year ago. Now about 80% of our weekly shop
comes from Aldi and the rest from a fortnightly trip to ASDA and the odd
trip to Costco.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 14:11, michael adams wrote:

I'm not sure of the legal basis on which people have got away
with ignoring these things, .....

Simply this:

If you have some land you can run a private car park, no question. Put a
bloke in a kiosk or a pay and display machine, whatever you like,

BUT you are NOT entitled to issue a fine or a ticket for non-compliance
or failure to pay and you are NOT entitled to clamp either.

So what looks like a parking ticket is actually only an invoice for
inflated charges on the basis that you agreed to a contract when you
parked there because the terms were written up on a sign. But you didn't
read the small print and even if you did unreasonable terms are
unenforceable under consumer legislation.

So it is a scam tolerated by every town council in every town centre in
the land. If you ignore the demands the 'fine' wil be doubled and
doubled until it is in the hundreds and backed up by letters from
solicitors that probably don't even exist, with charges added on so it
can get quite scary. In the end it is all bluster and hollow threats.
they can't enforce it in court.

Tim w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 18:21, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:13:08 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Probably because even short-term minutes parking near Clapham Junction is
at an expensive premium, and if the store want to provide it free to
their customers, they want to ensure their customers aren't blocked out
of all spaces by non-customers...

Fair enough. In the same town as my Lidl you get the first two hours
free in the town centre car park.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:45:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking
space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored
system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the
spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop
there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will
take their place.

Yes. The Lidl car park at Clapham Junction isn't as big as many of their
others - and before the scheme could be difficult to get a space.

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with ****ing tickets.

--
Caller: "Can you give me the telephone number for Jack?"
Operator: "I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand who you are talking about".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the council approve a station with no car park?

--
You are the only person I know that has ever had a brain tumour removed from their arse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:11:23 +0100, michael adams wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[quoted text muted]

There's plenty online, especially in local groups, of people who've
ignored these demands and simply thrown them away without any
consequences at all.

Dangerous advice, post Beavis. *Probably* what would happen. But the
courts have allowed it now.

As it happens I wasn't advising the OP to do anything. I was simply making
an observation.

Any advice on offer would have been in the webpage to which I left a link

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...going-far.html

As to Beavis I'm not aware of any judgement being made,
and in any case with Beavis, there is no disagreement as
to fact.

In this case there most certainly is. It's for the complainant
to prove that the OP hadn't shopped in Lidl at the appropriate
times, not for him to prove that he had.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did
you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the council
approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to Heathrow
airport.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did
you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the council
approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to Heathrow
airport.

No it isn't.

--
If an alien presented you with a piece of technology that could end all disease and famine throughout the entire planet, what would you do?
1) Present it to the President of the United States of America.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card?
Did you give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase
does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to
get and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside
an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

That's rather like asking why Windsor Castle was built so close to
Heathrow airport.

No it isn't.

Since the station waa built before the age of the motor car - and Town &
Country planning did not exist - it is very similar

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:25:52 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

And everything nearby is equally old is it? When a building is knocked down, a car park should be made if there aren't enough already.

--
"Sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome, and natural things that money can buy." -- Steve Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 21:25, charles wrote:
In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

All these problems are solved by not living so close to each other. I don't have parking problems in Scotland.

--
Seen in a health food sto
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

That probably depends where in Scotland.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:19:57 +0100, charles wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Yes there are a couple of horrid places called Glasgow and Edinburgh, but normal people don't live there.

--
Chaos will reign over order - it's easier to implement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Women driving? Next thing they'll will be smoking pipes.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzqAC_7Vxg

--
Can you grow birds by planting birdseed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 18:13, Nightjar cpb wrote:
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Which fails as a technique if they miss you going out. They might then
see a going-in one day and a going-out the next - and assume an
overnight+ stay.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?
at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

The best idea is to not use shops in places like that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

All these problems are solved by not living so close to each other. I
don't have parking problems in Scotland.

It's other people who live close to me, not me who lives close to them.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:13:08 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Probably because even short-term minutes parking near Clapham Junction
is at an expensive premium, and if the store want to provide it free to
their customers, they want to ensure their customers aren't blocked out
of all spaces by non-customers...

Yes - there is a Boots next door with no car park. The ASDA - where you
you don't need a purchase to park - is rather further away.

Other Lidl car parks in the area don't seem to have any restrictions at
all - apart from the usual signs.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Because that doesn't stop people parking at lidl while shopping
elsewhere?

My local Lidl, which takes numbers, allows 1½ hours free parking. This
allows you to go other shops, or the bank, after you have done your Lidl
shopping

You're allowed 90 minutes at this Lidl too - but you do have to make a
purchase to get the parking validated. According to the letter I got, I
was only there for 25 minutes.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Excellent news. Means you'll not be moving to London.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

--
*I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
All these problems are solved by not living so close to each other. I
don't have parking problems in Scotland.

That probably depends where in Scotland.

Certainly does. He's never obviously been to a city there.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park. Why did the
council approve a station with no car park?

It was built before cars were invented. Next point?

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them. On that
occasion, the till person obviously forgot to ask me for my details. Not
that I noticed at the time. And they could have changed the system
anyway.

Emailed the car park company and said I'd paid by plastic so they could
check with the store easily that I'd used the store on the date and time
in question.

Some time later, I've had an email asking me to prove I made a purchase.
They want a copy of the till receipt.

As it happens I do still have it - as I bought something with a warranty.
But had it been just groceries, would have been junked the same day.

So I've told them to check themselves. Be interesting to see what happens
next.

I'm not being horrible,

You were spawned horrible, that's why you were
strangled at spawning time but your 'parents' are
so inbred that they couldn’t even manage to get
that right because they were so blotto at the time.

but it seems to me that most of these parking problems happen in the
south.
We have never ever had problems parking in supermarket car parks in the
north.

Because you lot can't afford cars, stupid.

Even if we won £40M we would never move to the south.

Because you would be summarily executed
if you were stupid enough to try that.

See, I've not been horrible.

You were spawned horrible, that's why you were
strangled at spawning time but your 'parents' are
so inbred that they couldn’t even manage to get
that right because they were so blotto at the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote

Aldi is just about the only grocer still
selling breadcrumbed Camemberts.

Bloody hell. Can't imagine why for the life of me.

They don't even stock chutney routinely here.

Their junk collection is much wider than Lidl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
[...]

What don’t you get from Aldi and is that because you don’t like
Aldi's offering on that, the price or because its not stocked ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:45:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking
space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored
system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the
spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop
there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will
take their place.

Yes. The Lidl car park at Clapham Junction isn't as big as many of their
others - and before the scheme could be difficult to get a space.

Supermarkets should have adequate parking.

Easier said than done in some places.

They should be sited on large areas of ground.

Tends to a bit of a shortage of those in some places
where some are silly enough to want to live and shop.

If they don't, they can **** off.

Off got sick of being ****ed.

I want to park my car, go shopping, then go home.

And I use supermarkets where I can do that.

Tad radical I know.

I will not mess about with ****ing tickets.

I might well do if there is no alternative
and I want to use that supermarket because
what they have on offer is better than in
the supermarket that does use tickets,
particularly if when not having tickets
you can't find anywhere to park.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did
you
give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

Then the station should build themselves a car park.

Easier said than done with some stations.

Why did the council approve a station with no car park?

Presumably it was approved in the days before many had cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:25:52 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant.

When a building is knocked down, a car park should be made if there aren't
enough already.

Pity about who owns that building and the land
its on and why the knocked the building down
and what they replaced it with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:11:19 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:39:24 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

[...]

But you do have a hell of a problem getting
and keeping a well paid job or even one
that you would be happy to do for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?
at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine. They obviously have to control
parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

The best idea is to not use shops in places like that.

You don't necessarily have much choice with operations like Aldi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 20:06, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Supermarkets should have adequate parking. They should be sited on
large areas of ground. If they don't, they can **** off. I want to
park my car, go shopping, then go home. I will not mess about with
****ing tickets.

Rather than NEEDING a car to go to an out of town supermarket ALdi/Lidl
seem to be mainly targeting sites where people actually live and where
people can walk to shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Yes indeed. When I was a lad (1950's) my local suburban commuter station
(Ewell West) had a couple of dozen car parking spaces, but it was seldom
more than half full. Most of those commuters who were lucky enough to
have a car left it at home with the wife.

And the wife drove in those days?

No. She stayed at home with the car and did woman's work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:59:18 +0100, Chris

[...]

Nowadays, EVERYthing's linked, EVERYthing's discoverable.

MM

parking OT? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 37 October 7th 15 06:37 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Another Dave UK diy 142 July 23rd 10 10:58 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 2 July 16th 10 01:13 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 09:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 06:56 PM