Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl parking

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them. On that
occasion, the till person obviously forgot to ask me for my details. Not
that I noticed at the time. And they could have changed the system anyway.

Emailed the car park company and said I'd paid by plastic so they could
check with the store easily that I'd used the store on the date and time
in question.

Some time later, I've had an email asking me to prove I made a purchase.
They want a copy of the till receipt.

As it happens I do still have it - as I bought something with a warranty.
But had it been just groceries, would have been junked the same day.

So I've told them to check themselves. Be interesting to see what happens
next.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
[...]

They wrote to me initially. So obviously have my name and address. Lidl
will have the name etc on their records - it appears on the receipt, along
with the card number.

As I said, what happens if I didn't have the receipt? Just how many people
keep grocery receipts for weeks?

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it doesn't
end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

Bill

And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

My problem is that I drive a company (leased) car so the DVLA
search returns the leaseing company's details, and they email my
employer who pass the details on to me.
The leasing company charge my employer £20 for doing this, and my
employer in turn deducts this administration fee from my salary.

Even if I successfully appeal the parking charge or Road Traffic
Act offence, the admin charge still stands.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris
[...]

Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them.

There's plenty online, especially in local groups, of people
who've ignored these demands and simply thrown them away
without any consequences at all.
As its cropped up before, and so presumably is actually
in their letter they can't "fine" anyone. Only the Courts
can do that.

I'm not sure of the legal basis on which people have got away
with ignoring these things, but a few minutes Googling may
provide more information.

This was a first Google hit

" Argue your case and stand your ground if you get a ticket – fewer
than 5 per cent of cases are taken to County Court. If they are,
most are found in the motorist’s favour.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...going-far.html

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras

Same with an aldi I used on Monday, a few hours after I'd left I
realised I hadn't punched my reg into the touchscreen, emailed their
head office, told them I could provide a receipt where the timestamp
would match the camera - they were good about it and said they were
confident they could help me successfully appeal the ticket (outsourced
obviously).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:41:03 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras

Same with an aldi I used on Monday, a few hours after I'd left I
realised I hadn't punched my reg into the touchscreen, emailed their
head office, told them I could provide a receipt where the timestamp
would match the camera - they were good about it and said they were
confident they could help me successfully appeal the ticket (outsourced
obviously).

The trick with Parking Eye who operate many ALDI carparks is to make not
response at all. you will get 3 letters and then nothing more.

I have been through this a few months back and sat tight as recommended
and had no comeback. The letters and my till receipt are on the
mantelpiece ready for a fight if they try anything!

The folklore is that if you do respond and then fail to convince them
that they will pursue for the payment but I'm not convinced.
They are universally hated by our local ALDI staff who will bend of
backwards to help provide proof that you are a customer.

They are the scum of the earth using frightening tactics to extort
money. Going through the courts as they suggest costs them far too much
and they don't bother.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

Bill

And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking space.
Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored system, a
parking space is usually available, implying that many of the spaces were
being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop there. Some people
may, on principle stop going there, but others will take their place.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 14:36, Bob Minchin wrote:

They are the scum of the earth using frightening tactics to extort
money. Going through the courts as they suggest costs them far too much
and they don't bother.

Bit like TVL then...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,

Their cold meats are nice, and where else do you go when the craving for a
tin of herrings in mustard and parsley sauce hits?

rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range,

Some stuff is comparable, some *is* much cheaper.

and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging wuckfits.

That might improve as they are now paid the living wage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:37:19 +0100, charles wrote:

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

My findings haven't varied from Aldidls across at least five countries.
Mind you, the stores themselves were utterly indistinguishable across
those five countries, either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scion
writes

where else do you go when the craving for a
tin of herrings in mustard and parsley sauce hits?

So far, I've waited 63 years for the first hit :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:33:40 +0000, Scion wrote:

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,

Their cold meats are nice

Last cold meat I bought in one was some Bresaola, in Italy. The packaging
had more flavour.

and where else do you go when the craving for a tin of herrings in
mustard and parsley sauce hits?

I can honestly say it never has - although SWMBO's scandi half is rather
partial to dill sill, so the Swedish embassy supplies that portion of her
diet (in glass jars), rather than the German embassy.

and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging wuckfits.

That might improve as they are now paid the living wage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559

Aldidl are only paying a relatively small minority of the knuckle-
dragging wuckfits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 15:06:13 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
Even if I successfully appeal the parking charge or Road Traffic
Act offence, the admin charge still stands

If you successfully appeal the parking charge then you should counterclaim against them for the admin charge. It's a loss wholly due to their pursuing an unenforceable claim against you.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
charles wrote:

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you
give them your card number in the first email?

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it
doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get
and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an
extremely busy station, with no car park.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will
drop the scheme as uneconomic.

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was
usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking
space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored
system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the
spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop
there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will
take their place.

Yes. The Lidl car park at Clapham Junction isn't as big as many of their
others - and before the scheme could be difficult to get a space.

I've no complaint about that - merely this company expecting me to provide
the proof I shopped when I said I did, when Lidl obviously already know
this.

Not everyone has the facilities to scan a receipt and email it to them -
and indeed plenty won't have kept a receipt anyway.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

Not at Clapham Junction. They use ASDA.

I don't buy fresh food at Lidl. But they are very good for many other
things.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging wuckfits.

That might improve as they are now paid the living wage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559

I assumed Adrian meant the customers?

In general, Lidl staff seem a happier lot than Tesco. I'd guess because
the company values them more.

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well their hq appears to be moving from Wimbledon to Tolworth if they get
around to building their Lego monstrosity.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 15:37, charles wrote:

not my findings round here.

The knuckle dragging ****wits that use my local Lidl/Aldi fill the car
parks with their Chelsea tractors and can be heard to say how
down-market the shop is as they pile their trolleys high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of the local hospitals use this sort of system these days, but what
throws a lot of them is blind people with blue badges, as we can turn up in
almost any car, so their cunning plan to ally a car number with a badge
won't work.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
Chris wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nothing will and there's no need to respond any further. It's a fairly
fundamental principle of civil litigation that you aren't obliged to do the
other side's homework for them. Just keep the evidence in case they're
stupid enough to make a claim in court but they won't. Their procedure is
likely to fire off a couple of letters to try and flush the really nervous
types out and earn a few quid and give up on anyone else.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar cpb wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Because that doesn't stop people parking at lidl while shopping elsewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:13:08 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Probably because even short-term minutes parking near Clapham Junction is
at an expensive premium, and if the store want to provide it free to
their customers, they want to ensure their customers aren't blocked out
of all spaces by non-customers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 17:06, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well their hq appears to be moving from Wimbledon to Tolworth if they get
around to building their Lego monstrosity.
Brian

Not Tolworth Towers?

I lived in Tolworth - for the first year of my life anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 15:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

not my findings round here.

Tunbridge Wells is getting an Aldi - not far from the station (well
right next to, if you include Tunbridge Wells West station!).

Although it's not somewhere I'm likely to do my regular shop[1] I'm
expecting to go and sample their more interesting items...

[1] I could be persuaded, but we'll have to see...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm not being horrible, but it seems to me that most of these parking
problems happen in the south.
We have never ever had problems parking in supermarket car parks in the
north.
Even if we won £40M we would never move to the south.
See, I've not been horrible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've never been to an Aldi or Lidl that has parking charges of any kind,
almost all the ones I know of are shared car parks, Lidl shares with a large
gym chain, Aldi shares with Halfords, Maplins, Iceland and a few poundshops
etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:31:38 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Most of the local hospitals use this sort of system these days, but
what throws a lot of them is blind people with blue badges, as we can
turn up in almost any car, so their cunning plan to ally a car number
with a badge won't work.

But they can (and do) insist only disabled tax cars are valid ...
certainly Birmingham Town Hall does ...

Well, since it's unlikely the blind person will be driving, there's not a
great issue with the sighted driver dropping the blind passenger
somewhere convenient, then parking elsewhere, before returning to their
passenger.

A driver with very reduced mobility, otoh, that might be a big issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar cpb wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number
recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout.
Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking...

Why don't they just read the number going in and the number going out,
which is what my local Lidl does?

Because that doesn't stop people parking at lidl while shopping elsewhere?

My local Lidl, which takes numbers, allows 1½ hours free parking. This
allows you to go other shops, or the bank, after you have done your Lidl
shopping

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging wuckfits.

That might improve as they are now paid the living wage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559

I assumed Adrian meant the customers?

In general, Lidl staff seem a happier lot than Tesco. I'd guess because
the company values them more.

The customers also seem happier!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:35:48 +0100, Davey wrote:

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is
that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned
the wrong location for my home.

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre,
rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and
predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging
wuckfits.

Must be your neighborhood!

parking OT? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 37 October 7th 15 05:37 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Another Dave UK diy 142 July 23rd 10 09:58 PM
OT - Parking scam at Lidl Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 2 July 16th 10 12:13 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM