Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Should washing machine hoses be replaced every ten years?

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote

I was contemplating what the results would be
if one or both hoses failed while I was away.

No big deal in my case, its in the laundry with
concrete block walls and a concrete slab floor
with a floor drain. It'd just go down the drain.

They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

I haven't had one fail in 40 years and that is with the
one washing machine. Same with the dishwasher.

Some do turn them off when going away for more
than overnight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 08:16, Rod Speed wrote:
MM wrote
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away.

No big deal in my case, its in the laundry with
concrete block walls and a concrete slab floor
with a floor drain. It'd just go down the drain.
They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

I haven't had one fail in 40 years and that is with the one washing
machine. Same with the dishwasher.
Some do turn them off when going away for more
than overnight.

+1.

Probably more sensible to turn water off at main stop-cock. There are
devices that you put in the main feed and will detect a significant leak
and shut off after a certain volume.

Here is an "electronic" one but ISTR there are simpler mechanical systems.

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/wa...on-system.html

I'm a big fan of utility rooms with floor drains, sadly not common here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:02:16 +0100, MM wrote:

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Some years ago I noticed that the pressure rating dropped rapidly with
temperature. Not a problem on indirect HW, but a combi feed would rise close
to mains pressure when shut off, so if the hose is full of hot water...

About 15 years ago I installed a Miele - the hose was rated above any mains
pressure at 90 deg. C.

Hoses are cheap, but I'm always wary of a new one being worse than the
original one. My last machine, an AEG, was OK for 13 years, so hoses were
good then.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:02:16 +0100, MM wrote:

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Some years ago I noticed that the pressure rating dropped rapidly with
temperature. Not a problem on indirect HW, but a combi feed would rise close
to mains pressure when shut off, so if the hose is full of hot water...

About 15 years ago I installed a Miele - the hose was rated above any mains
pressure at 90 deg. C.

Hoses are cheap, but I'm always wary of a new one being worse than the
original one. My last machine, an AEG, was OK for 13 years, so hoses were
good then.

I asked a plumber I know if he's seen any old appliance hoses look bad
(perished) after 10+ years. No was the answer.

I suspect these days, the hose will outlive the machine mechanics.

The main thing to check is if they've been damaged (kinked, cut etc).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 11:04, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

These days they tend to have a PVC cladding, which eliminates Ozone and
UV attack on the rubber (not that they usually see much light). And of
course machines have been cold fill only for a long time now. I think
the only failure I have seen was at the cheap and nasty coupling, where
one of the "nuts" pinged out one thread a few weeks after (someone else)
fitted it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

The main failure point is the rubber washers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but usually only when they are disturbed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd hope the hoses that came with the washing machine would outlast the
machine. of course the more likely scenario is that the couplers can work
loose or the hose rub on something during spin and make it fail.
I'm afraid there is no simple answer there should have been a simple way
to detach the furniture, so to speak to get in and inspect stuff.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"MM" wrote in message
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Well, my 10-year-old Hotpoint has both hot and cold hoses. It works
fine, though, even if the hot water is only tepid. Just has to heat
more itself, I assume.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:05:13 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I'd hope the hoses that came with the washing machine would outlast the
machine. of course the more likely scenario is that the couplers can work
loose or the hose rub on something during spin and make it fail.
I'm afraid there is no simple answer there should have been a simple way
to detach the furniture, so to speak to get in and inspect stuff.
Brian

Only problem: The w/m is f... heavy! Don't forget I had the sternum
cracked open 2 years ago...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

I did have one hose start to leak.

IIRC it was at the end of the hose - there was a metal bit crimped to
the hose or something where it joined onto the screwy bit.

Only a slow leak though
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:43:28 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Exactly like mine, in fact!

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

The stop-cock is OFF.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 09/10/2015 05:58, MM wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:43:28 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Turn the water off.
Put bars on the windows and doors.

Get a big roll of Aldi tin foil and put it round you head in case of
radiation from The Sun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 09/10/2015 09:27, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

The stop-cock is OFF.

MM's is allways off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:54:51 +0100, The Todal wrote:

On 09/10/2015 05:58, MM wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:43:28 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
[...]

They can't hear you scream in space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:27:12 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

The stop-cock is OFF.

And central heating in winter? As frost protection?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

The stop-cock is OFF.

And central heating in winter? As frost protection?

MM

The combi is on and has limited water in it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

The stop-cock is OFF.

And central heating in winter? As frost protection?

MM

The combi is on and has limited water in it.

Dunno what that means.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 08:02, MM wrote:
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your machine to last?
Judging by what I see, heard and read, more than 19 years would be a
miracle.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 06/10/2015 08:02, MM wrote:
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your machine to last?
Judging by what I see, heard and read, more than 19 years would be a
miracle.

Nothing like a miracle, mine did 40 years fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 09:50:24 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 06/10/2015 08:02, MM wrote:

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your machine to last?
Judging by what I see, heard and read, more than 19 years would be a
miracle.

I've had many miracles then.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 08:02, MM wrote:

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your machine to last?
Judging by what I see, heard and read, more than 19 years would be a
miracle.

I've had many miracles then.

How many? Seems a bit odd to have machines which last so long and yet to
have had two or more of them. Surely if they are so long-lived, you
wouldn't get through many even in a lifetime.

Almost all my household appliances are miracles according to your definition. Several are multi-miracles. People do seem to have unrealistic ideas about electronics these days.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
polygonum wrote
nt wrote
polygonum wrote
MM wrote

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or
both hoses failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but
I can only see a part of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

"Every" ten years? Just how long do you expect your
machine to last? Judging by what I see, heard and
read, more than 19 years would be a miracle.

I've had many miracles then.

How many? Seems a bit odd to have machines which last so
long and yet to have had two or more of them. Surely if they are
so long-lived, you wouldn't get through many even in a lifetime.

Almost all my household appliances are miracles according
to your definition. Several are multi-miracles.

Yeah, all of my major appliances like dishwasher, wall oven, cooktop,
washing machine, microwave etc have all managed 40+ years. Some
like the original fridge has managed 60 and I stopped using it
because its just too small and has bugger all frozen storage.

No so true of the smaller appliances. Wouldn't like to count how many
toasters I have been thru, dozens of them. Not quite as many of the
small glass convection ovens, but I have only been using them for a
much shorter time. They mostly don't last as long as the toasters and
the current one does get used at about the same frequency, most days.

Some other stuff like CRT monitors in the middle life wise.

People do seem to have unrealistic ideas about electronics these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 19:08:28 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
nt:
polygonum wrote
nt wrote
polygonum wrote
MM wrote

[...]

The old Dualits last well, but little else seems to. No idea if the wildly overpriced modern ones will.

I think the issue is generally that people have no idea how to buy long lasting appliances, and no idea when to repair and when to chuck. Too many people chuck out good stuff to replace it with short lived gimmicky crap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 07:58:34 UTC+1, MM wrote:
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Would a hose get blocked or the internal diameter reduced by limescale, as over the last few years the water pressure has dropped slightly and my washing machine beeps with an error code which means lack of water pressure.
SO was thinking maybe after 5 years it could be the hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

The old Dualits last well,

Never tried one of those, the price is too silly.

but little else seems to.

Yep.

No idea if the wildly overpriced modern ones will.

Never tried one of those either. I was tempted with
one of them that was a lot more fancy than most of
them with a fancy system for showing you the toast
and you being able to say 'that needs a bit more etc'
and it remembers that for next time.

I think the issue is generally that people have
no idea how to buy long lasting appliances,

I'm not convinced that they ever did or that its even possible.

Even the sort of life stats that operations like Which attempt
isn't much use at all. By the time they have any useful stats,
you can hardly ever buy that model new anymore.

and no idea when to repair and when to chuck.

That mostly isn't knowable either.

Too many people chuck out good stuff to
replace it with short lived gimmicky crap.

And it can take a while before it becomes
clear that some approaches really don't
work that well like the washer/dryers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-14, nt wrote:

I think the issue is generally that people have no idea how to buy
long lasting appliances, and no idea when to repair and when to
chuck. Too many people chuck out good stuff to replace it with
short lived gimmicky crap.

What is the secret to buying long lasting appliances then? I've had
back luck with some reputable brands.

This deserves its own thread, so will repost

NT