Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Should washing machine hoses be replaced every ten years?

On 06/10/2015 08:16, Rod Speed wrote:
MM wrote
I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away.

No big deal in my case, its in the laundry with
concrete block walls and a concrete slab floor
with a floor drain. It'd just go down the drain.
They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part
of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

I haven't had one fail in 40 years and that is with the one washing
machine. Same with the dishwasher.
Some do turn them off when going away for more
than overnight.

+1.

Probably more sensible to turn water off at main stop-cock. There are
devices that you put in the main feed and will detect a significant leak
and shut off after a certain volume.

Here is an "electronic" one but ISTR there are simpler mechanical systems.

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/wa...on-system.html

I'm a big fan of utility rooms with floor drains, sadly not common here.