Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Benny Dicked Us Benny Dicked Us is offline

Default Should washing machine hoses be replaced every ten years?

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:54:51 +0100, The Todal wrote:

On 09/10/2015 05:58, MM wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:43:28 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
On 06/10/2015 11:04, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:02:16 +0100, MM wrote:

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses
failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a
part of them. The rest is behind the w/m.

MM

Some years ago I noticed that the pressure rating dropped rapidly
with temperature. Not a problem on indirect HW, but a combi feed
would rise close to mains pressure when shut off, so if the hose is
full of hot water...

About 15 years ago I installed a Miele - the hose was rated above
any mains pressure at 90 deg. C.

Hoses are cheap, but I'm always wary of a new one being worse than
the original one. My last machine, an AEG, was OK for 13 years, so
hoses were good then.

I asked a plumber I know if he's seen any old appliance hoses look
bad (perished) after 10+ years. No was the answer.

I suspect these days, the hose will outlive the machine mechanics.

The main thing to check is if they've been damaged (kinked, cut
etc).

Agreed.

These days they tend to have a PVC cladding, which eliminates Ozone
and UV attack on the rubber (not that they usually see much light).
And of course machines have been cold fill only for a long time now.
I think the only failure I have seen was at the cheap and nasty
coupling, where one of the "nuts" pinged out one thread a few weeks
after (someone else) fitted it.

I did have one hose start to leak.

IIRC it was at the end of the hose - there was a metal bit crimped to
the hose or something where it joined onto the screwy bit.

Exactly like mine, in fact!

Only a slow leak though

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?

MM

Turn the water off.
Put bars on the windows and doors.

Get a big roll of Aldi tin foil and put it round you head in case of
radiation from The Sun.

They can't hear you scream in space.