Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do washing machine feed hoses fail?

I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to last longer than
one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote

I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them
with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail.

I havent either, and havent heard of one ever failing either.

With the dishwasher either.

Perhaps our UK hoses are beter than the ones in the US
- or perhaps their water pressure is typically higher?

I'm in Australia and our water pressure is much higher than yours is.

We don’t have anything like the same water system you lot have.

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to
last longer than one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

Dunno, and I wash in cold water anyway, and the dishwasher only has
a cold water feed, so my failure rate doesn’t prove anything with that.

I do have those stainless steel flexible hoses on the hot water service,
but that was only because it made fitting the replacement hot water
service easier. We have mains pressure hot water here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 10:39*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

There might be one important difference...
- USA tend to have gas/elec *mains pressure* hot water heaters, and
they tend to have the *temperature high*.
- Hose life is dependent on both temperature and pressure, high
temperature really drops their pressure rating.

Alternatively the difference may be a confounding factor.
- USA washing machines may not come with a free hose every time, so
the old hose gets re-used.
- USA washing machines may have a longer installed life re crude (!)
top load being repaired more often, so the hose does not get replaced
so often.

USA advertising & marketing is generally referred to as Be Arraigned
(BA) and May Be Arraigned (MBA).

UK washing machine hoses do fail, out of 3 machines I know of all but
one has failed.
CW catastrophic failure at the barb (unknown rural water pressure,
10yrs old). CW pin hole in front of the barb (8.8bar pressure,
concrete floor fortunately, 15yrs old, Bosch).

Miele do a very good hose, but silly price. Perhaps John Guest do
something good (ie, branded).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr 2012 09:39:03 GMT
"AL_n" wrote:

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our
UK hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water
pressure is typically higher?

We had one start to spray out a fine jet of water once. But with 3
different machines over a 30 year period I wouldn't regard that as
indicating that failure was a common occurrence.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:03:11 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

Japanese washing machines were interesting in this respect. Very
hitech but somewhat unreliable and homes had a 4" drip tray with
drain for the washing machine to sit in "just in case". Ours never
went wrong but the implication of having it in the building code was
clear.

Our Bosch dishwasher has something like that built in. The supply and
drain hose are contained in an outer hose which drains into a built in
tray in the base of the machine. If a leak is detected a water level
sensor in the tray cuts off the supply at a solenoid valve at the tap
end of the supply hose and shuts down the machine.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2012 6:21 AM, Davey wrote:

The American houses we lived in usually had a pressure reducer as the
supply came into the house, and then everything after that was at the
same pressure. No tanks anywhere, too likely to freeze in the bitter
cold 'Mid-Western' winters. Our washing machine supply here in the UK
comes from the tank, so is lower pressure than the machines saw in the
US.

Many years ago, in our house in NJ, we came home after a day out to find
the basement inches deep in water - the hot-water hose to the washer had
burst. The hose had been there when we moved in, and was not
steel-reinforced.
New installations in that area now have the washers sitting on trays -
but wouldn't have helped us, as the high pressure hot water sprayed up
to the ceiling, down the walls, and covered the floor...it took days to
clean and dry the basement!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

Had to change one last week due to it leaking, only a slow dribble, but
enough to cause a damp patch spreading from under the washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-18, AL_n wrote:

I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to last longer than
one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

I don't recall even knowing anyone who had a hose fail in either
country. I think water pressure is typically (but not always) higher
in the USA, and in particular, I've never come across cistern-fed hot
water over there (so hot water is typically at a higher pressure).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote in news:njwjr.8516
:

Some places in America the ozone levels are high enough to make rubber
go brittle - you can smell the LA ozone 50 miles downwind at peak times!

Perhaps it's the old rubber hoses that they are talking about, (the ones
made in the days before the durable synthetic hoses like the ones supplied
with new washing machines nowadays)..

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 10:39*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to last longer than
one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

Al

They certainly did in the past. They are much better now. In days of
yore they were rubber and cracks would appear as the rubber perished &
then they would fail.
I haven't heard of a recent failure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 2:07*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Perhaps it's the old rubber hoses that they are talking about, (the ones
made in the days before the durable synthetic hoses like the ones supplied
with new washing machines nowadays)..

Probably.

CW hose failure at 10yr was very probably from the previous 1985
washer.
CW hose failure at 16yr was bought 1996, and whilst subject to 8.8 bar
it had also suffered chronic water hammer. The rubber was obviously
perished and split. The blue outer sheath distorted by water working
its way along, finding a pinhole from which to emerge.

Most UK washing machines are now one hose cold fill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:26:29 -0700 (PDT), js.b1 wrote:

On Apr 18, 10:39*am, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

The Miele hose has a much higher pressure rating than 'ordinary' hosen. The
pressure curve against temperature is frightening for standard hoses - hot
fill (unlikely) from a nearby combi, valve shuts off, hose hot and near
mains pressure...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 5:41*pm, PeterC wrote:
The Miele hose has a much higher pressure rating than 'ordinary' hosen.

I believe the price is much higher, £28-39?

The pressure curve against temperature is
frightening for standard hoses

China OUVAN
- OH-WMH-102, grey outer, 1.5-2m, 0-80oC, 1.5bar
- Could that 1.5bar be at 80oC?

Amazon
- 90oC, 10bar - but I bet not at the same time

BES UK
- 20oC = 12 bar
- 65oC = 5 bar
- Could that be 1.5bar at 80oC... I guess it could?

HW Vented cylinder 0.6-2bar re 2-4 storey.
HW Unvented cylinder PRV 3.5 - 5 - 6.5 bar, most likely 3.5 bar.

So another reason to fit a safety thermostat to immersion heaters, and
PRV to cold anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-18, js.b1 wrote:

On Apr 18, 2:07Â*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Perhaps it's the old rubber hoses that they are talking about, (the ones
made in the days before the durable synthetic hoses like the ones supplied
with new washing machines nowadays)..

Probably.

CW hose failure at 10yr was very probably from the previous 1985
washer.
CW hose failure at 16yr was bought 1996, and whilst subject to 8.8 bar
it had also suffered chronic water hammer. The rubber was obviously
perished and split. The blue outer sheath distorted by water working
its way along, finding a pinhole from which to emerge.

Most UK washing machines are now one hose cold fill.

I just bought a new AEG washing machine: cold-fill only, and it came
with one hose with a fancy gadget (pressure regulator?) on the supply
end & the instructions said not to re-use your old plain hose with
this machine. The gadget has a ratchet (with a release button) on the
female fitting, which made it a bit awkward to undo (I discovered
after starting to install the washer-dryer that I'd have to swap it
with the dishwasher under the worktop).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2012 10:39, AL_n wrote:
I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to last longer than
one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

Al

My son's maisonette (word chosen carefully) is on the back of 1st and
2nd floors of an old pub. The ground floor is a shop; the front of the
building is another apartment.

He had a tap fail full on, and flooded the shop. The builders doing the
repairs cocked up, the feed pipe came off the new cistern, and flooded
the shop. The shop got really shirty with us for the third flood... and
then apologised when it turned out to be next doors washing machine hose.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 10:39*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I just watched a couple of American videos claiming that the no.1 cause of
water damage in the home is burst waching machine hoses. They claim that
the rubber/plastic kind don't last long. They recommend replacing them with
stainless steel-braised ones.

Dos this advice apply equally well in the UK?

Personally, I've never had a washing machine hose fail. Perhaps our UK
hoses are beter than the ones in the US - or perhaps their water pressure
is typically higher?

I would imagine that a cold water feed hose is likely to last longer than
one carrying hot water. Anyone agree?

The hot hose failed at the supply end on our Neff just recently - a
fancy metal-braided affair. It appeared to be leaking down through
where the braiding disappeared into the crimp; replacing the washer
didn't help.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:13:58 -0700 (PDT), js.b1 wrote:

On Apr 18, 5:41*pm, PeterC wrote:
The Miele hose has a much higher pressure rating than 'ordinary' hosen.

I believe the price is much higher, £28-39?

The pressure curve against temperature is
frightening for standard hoses

China OUVAN
- OH-WMH-102, grey outer, 1.5-2m, 0-80oC, 1.5bar
- Could that 1.5bar be at 80oC?

Amazon
- 90oC, 10bar - but I bet not at the same time

BES UK
- 20oC = 12 bar
- 65oC = 5 bar
- Could that be 1.5bar at 80oC... I guess it could?

ISTR one figure of about 3bar at 65C - well within the figures attainable
from a combi.
It does look as if the suppliers are using the 'best' specs.

HW Vented cylinder 0.6-2bar re 2-4 storey.
HW Unvented cylinder PRV 3.5 - 5 - 6.5 bar, most likely 3.5 bar.

So another reason to fit a safety thermostat to immersion heaters, and
PRV to cold anyway.

And those introduce 2 more points of failure, as does the solenoid valve and
switchgear for detecting leaks/too long filling.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:03:11 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I remember at university in a shared house we had a front loading
washing machine where the interlock only prevented the door from
changing state while a wash program was in progress. It spent one whole
night trying to fill the kitchen with water to the required level.

Jeez, the designer of that deserves some sort of award.