Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine hoses

Hello,

Is it possible to get washing machines hoses in any length other than
a metre? I realise you want enough slack to be able to pull the
machine out but I really would like some shorter ones.

Is it ok to cut the waste pipe to a shorter length or is it essential
to keep the rubber ferrule on the end?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to get washing machines hoses in any length other than
a metre? I realise you want enough slack to be able to pull the
machine out but I really would like some shorter ones.

Is it ok to cut the waste pipe to a shorter length or is it essential
to keep the rubber ferrule on the end?

Thanks,
Stephen.

In what situation is it not feasible to use the standard metre ones? - they
are a metre long for a reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:36:03 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

In what situation is it not feasible to use the standard metre ones? - they
are a metre long for a reason.

What reason is that? I thought they were that size because it was a
good compromise for the manufacturers. If they were too long they
would cost more to make but if they were too short customers would
complain, so this was somewhere between the two extremes.

A quick google finds many posts from people needing longer hoses.

I'd like shorter hoses for two reasons:
1. there is so much excess they are coiled behind the machine and I've
noticed one is kinked, which possibly impedes flow.

2. there's not much space between the washing machine and door, so if
the amount of clutter behind the machine was reduced, the machine
could be pushed further back, increasing the clearance between it and
the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:12:36 +0100, Stephen wrote:

2. there's not much space between the washing machine and door, so if
the amount of clutter behind the machine was reduced, the machine
could be pushed further back, increasing the clearance between it and
the door.

Are the connection points also in the space used by the washer? Shift
'em into an adjacent cupboard then the machine will go back as far as
it can.
Having them in a cupboard also means you can turn 'em off without
dragging the machine out when summat starts leaking...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen writes:

Is it possible to get washing machines hoses in any length other than
a metre? I realise you want enough slack to be able to pull the
machine out but I really would like some shorter ones.
Is it ok to cut the waste pipe to a shorter length or is it essential
to keep the rubber ferrule on the end?

A few months ago someone on the top floor of a tenement building had a
major disaster with, I was told, some kind of Y coupling between her
dishwasher and her washing machine. (I suspect her boyfriend did the
work).
The result was flooding of her flat, the one beneath on the second
floor, my about-to-be-let flat on the first floor, and even the ground
floor flat, whose occupants called the fire brigade (!). (Who BTW say
they don't respond to water leaks.)

Damage to my flat alone was 2000.

Most machines rock to and fro. If the hose(s) are too short, disasters
are likely, especially if it's mains pressure water.

A metre sounds a bit on the *short* side to me.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 02:56:33 GMT, Windmill wrote:

A metre sounds a bit on the *short* side to me.

Does to me as well with a 600 deep worktop and space to get an arm
in, say another 100, that's only 150 each end to have the pipe curve
through without putting undue strain on connectors...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 03:56, Windmill wrote:
writes:

Is it possible to get washing machines hoses in any length other than
a metre? I realise you want enough slack to be able to pull the
machine out but I really would like some shorter ones.
Is it ok to cut the waste pipe to a shorter length or is it essential
to keep the rubber ferrule on the end?

A few months ago someone on the top floor of a tenement building had a
major disaster with, I was told, some kind of Y coupling between her
dishwasher and her washing machine. (I suspect her boyfriend did the
work).

One of these no doubt.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2705/p81426

Spawn of Satan. Useless bloody objects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 03:56, Windmill wrote:
whose occupants called the fire brigade (!). (Who BTW say
they don't respond to water leaks.)

When my son's flat flooded they came out and turned off the main water
for him. They also turned off every other stop cock in the place just
in case, took me a while to get it all going again.

He now knows _exactly_ where the main stopcock is. Which was just as
well when the pushfit feed into the replacement cistern popped off. And
didn't help the ground floor shop at all when the neighbour had a split
washing machine hose. That's three floods in a year...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 09:42, Tim Streater wrote:

writes:

Is it possible to get washing machines hoses in any length other than
a metre? I realise you want enough slack to be able to pull the
machine out but I really would like some shorter ones.
Is it ok to cut the waste pipe to a shorter length or is it essential
to keep the rubber ferrule on the end?

A few months ago someone on the top floor of a tenement building had a
major disaster with, I was told, some kind of Y coupling between her
dishwasher and her washing machine. (I suspect her boyfriend did the
work).

One of these no doubt.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ries/Washing+M

achine+Y+Piece/d20/sd2705/p81426

Spawn of Satan. Useless bloody objects.

No they aint. I got one for a quid or so from Screwfix. While we're
having extensive re-plumbing done, the washing machine is in the
kitchen. Its 15 years old so needs hot and cold feeding. Our temp fixup
is: garden hose attached to outside tap, in through a window, and then
attach inside end of garden hose to Y coupling, after which ordinary
hoses to washing machine. Works a treat as temporary lashup.

Might be OK temporarily, but IME they have a 100% failure rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Good reason for us to get a new machine then, since new plumbing is
gonna be cold feed only.

I went out of my way to find a hot & cold fill machine about 5 years
ago, it uses far less water than my previous machines, to the extent
that it barely has chance to drain the dead-leg, unless I remember to
run the hot-tap first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In what situation is it not feasible to use the standard metre ones? - they
are a metre long for a reason.

What reason is that? I thought they were that size because it was a
good compromise for the manufacturers. If they were too long they
would cost more to make but if they were too short customers would
complain, so this was somewhere between the two extremes.

A quick google finds many posts from people needing longer hoses.

I'd like shorter hoses for two reasons:
1. there is so much excess they are coiled behind the machine and I've
noticed one is kinked, which possibly impedes flow.

2. there's not much space between the washing machine and door, so if
the amount of clutter behind the machine was reduced, the machine
could be pushed further back, increasing the clearance between it and
the door.

Its fairly easy to shorten them. They're plastic end fittings with
hose pushed over them, anda metal sleeve crimped on. Cut off the metal
sleve with an angle grinder, die grinder, or even tinsnips more
slowly. Shorten hose, push it on the end connector, and add a jubilee
clip in place of the original sleeve.

NT