Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3D Printing

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2014 10:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 09:52:45 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

They recently e-mailed 3D printer instructions for a spanner up to the
International Space Station. Much simpler than sending a real one up
by rocket! http://tinyurl.com/l9qfq6v

Yep - I smiled when I saw that - I think our printer kit arrived the day
the spanner was made. :-)

(When I first saw the story, my astigmatic eyes saw "spammer" and I
struggled to understand why they'd want one of them anywhere, least of
all on the ISS!)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

I think the ISS one is a standard "squirt hot plastic and hope it sets
fast enough" type. Maybe not "standard", but adapted for space use...

And I've seen a shifting spanner printed on one in the past - the moving
bits are held in place with thin "webs" which you break or cut with a
scalpel/knife, but they're usable - for e.g. plastic meccano...

And if you can 3D print a "gun" then I imagine you can 3D print a custom
spanner - might only be good enough for 1 or 2 uses, but still cheaper than
the alternative...

Happy eating too much day

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:46:40 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are industrial
ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I think there
are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work with a
container full of powder that is then some how fused at points in 3D
space.

I think the ISS one is a standard "squirt hot plastic and hope it sets
fast enough" type. Maybe not "standard", but adapted for space use...

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in an environment full of somewhat important
electronics...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:38:18 +0000 (UTC)
Adrian wrote:

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS* environment full of somewhat
important electronics...

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:49:42 +0000, Davey wrote:

in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS*

Yes, I'd imagine the ISS is a bit echoey...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS* environment full of somewhat
important electronics...

Eh? What are you correcting?

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

I have an Ultimaker2 bought for the local Remap group
(www.remap.org.uk) and a very useful device it is too. Brackets,
handles and attachment devices of one sort or another, Raspberry Pi
and Arduino mounting plates. It will print working hinges as one
piece although that trick isn't of much practical use.

The plastic used is PLA (PolyLacticAcid) or ABS. "Solid" parts are
usually a honeycomb internal structure to save plastic, eliminate
distortion when cooling yet keep strength.

PLA can also be used to produce parts for in metal using the lost wax
casting process, or in this case, lost PLA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of
metallic powder, in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS* environment full
of somewhat important electronics...

Eh? What are you correcting?

Oops, reading too fast, apologies. And that's before starting the
Christmas Day boozing....

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know that they need to be very careful with things like Toner as well, as
that can play havoc with vacuum cleaners and presumably air condigioning
filters too.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:49:42 +0000, Davey wrote:

in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS*

Yes, I'd imagine the ISS is a bit echoey...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

The thing is though, How does one get the data about the part into the
system? Is there a 3D scanner as well?

Yes, they call them cameras.

polygonum wrote

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2014 20:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing is though, How does one get the data about the part into the
system? Is there a 3D scanner as well?
Brian

There certainly are 3D scanners. However, I suspect that a lot of items
are designed in software and that design simply put into a form that a
3D printer can use.

The other week there was a post here about a scanning system which
measured big rocks at a quarry, and worked out how best to place them in
the structure being built.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

They recently e-mailed 3D printer instructions for a spanner up to the
International Space Station. Much simpler than sending a real one up
by rocket! http://tinyurl.com/l9qfq6v

So what was the spanner made out of?
Some **** plastic I suppose.
WTF is the use of a plastic spanner?

Just a gimmick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2014 08:39, harryagain wrote:
So what was the spanner made out of?
Some **** plastic I suppose.
WTF is the use of a plastic spanner?

Just a gimmick.

I have had several plastic spanners - for example, there are at least
two radiator bleed valve things, and as part of some kit devices. They
work adequately though I certainly prefer good quality metal. The
function required might not need particularly high torque but is very
awkward without something designed for the job.

While assembling my 3D printer (well, work's), several places I have had
to use something to stop a nut spinning as I have tightened up a screw.
It really didn't take much force, but without the screw tends to keep
turning the nut and not tightening. (Yes - I know that a very sharp turn
of the screwdriver can sometimes achieve that initial start to
tightening after which friction is often enough.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

They recently e-mailed 3D printer instructions for a spanner up to the
International Space Station. Much simpler than sending a real one up
by rocket! http://tinyurl.com/l9qfq6v

So what was the spanner made out of?
Some **** plastic I suppose.
WTF is the use of a plastic spanner?

They could make the handle part dildo shaped, then you can stick it up your
arse after using it to tighten your nuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 25/12/2014 20:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing is though, How does one get the data about the part into the
system? Is there a 3D scanner as well?
Brian

There certainly are 3D scanners. However, I suspect that a lot of items
are designed in software and that design simply put into a form that a
3D printer can use.

True. But what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in my
20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike? Call up the
manufacturer and ask?

CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

For 2D stuff I've had good results by flatbed scanning the thing I want it
to mate with (eg the holes on a PCB) and dropping the output PDF (which is
correctly scaled) into my design for laser cutting. But getting complex
curved surfaces 3D scanned, and then turning them into printable meshes, is
somewhat trickier.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/14 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

RHINO CAD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2014 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

I think there will probably be a lot of informal swapping of "drawings".
Let me rephrase that: I hope there will be a lot of informal swapping...
Doing the 3D design of everything I might want to 3D print would be a
big overhead. But contributing back the odd one to the pool would be
within reach.

I worry about the various intellectual rights issues that will
inevitably occur.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
polygonum wrote:
On 25/12/2014 20:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing is though, How does one get the data about the part into the
system? Is there a 3D scanner as well?
Brian

There certainly are 3D scanners. However, I suspect that a lot of items
are designed in software and that design simply put into a form that a
3D printer can use.

True. But what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my
20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike? Call up
the
manufacturer and ask?

I have heard that there are 3-D scanners that will create the DXF file for
you,
prior to conversion with your favourite CAM program.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Hmm, I've not looked at one of those for maybe 35 years. What's the bit at
the back that the fuel pipe's connected to? I remember the needle valve
being in front, on the carburettor...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/14 23:37, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Hmm, I've not looked at one of those for maybe 35 years. What's the bit at
the back that the fuel pipe's connected to? I remember the needle valve
being in front, on the carburettor...

on a 1bhp engine relocating the finger-twiddlable needle valve away
from the prop^H^H^H^h rotating knives, but retaining the front rotary
induction was a challenge met successfully in that design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Thingiverse springs to mind

http://www.thingiverse.com

Sketchup now has a decent .stl export plug in which makes the 3D warehouse handy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gareth wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my 20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike?

I have heard that there are 3-D scanners that will create the DXF
file for you, prior to conversion with your favourite CAM program.

So you have to strip down every new item you buy and 3D scan all the
parts that might break in future?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
gareth wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my 20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike?

I have heard that there are 3-D scanners that will create the DXF
file for you, prior to conversion with your favourite CAM program.

So you have to strip down every new item you buy and 3D scan all the parts
that might break in future?

Nope, just 3D scan it after it breaks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

290jkl wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

gareth wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my 20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike?

there are 3-D scanners

So you have to strip down every new item you buy and 3D scan all the parts
that might break in future?

Nope, just 3D scan it after it breaks.

That's ok for things that snap cleanly (but you could probably just glue
them as strongly as print a replacement part) what about parts that
disintegrate or get lost?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
290jkl wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

gareth wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my 20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike?

there are 3-D scanners

So you have to strip down every new item you buy and 3D scan all the
parts
that might break in future?

Nope, just 3D scan it after it breaks.

That's ok for things that snap cleanly

Doesn’t have to snap cleanly. With stuff that wears
it wouldn’t be that hard to edit the result of the 3D
scan so that the 3D printer produces a good copy
of the original.

(but you could probably just glue them as strongly as print a replacement
part)

That's unlikely.

what about parts that disintegrate

That doesn’t happen that often and you should be
able to ask someone to 3D scan theirs that hasn’t.

or get lost?

Ditto.

Much less work than scanning everything in case it might break.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/14 10:17, Andy Burns wrote:
what about parts that disintegrate or get lost?

Well you just have to design new ones

Or find someone else who has already done that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
gareth wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
what's the chance of getting the CAD file for that thing in
my 20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike?

I have heard that there are 3-D scanners that will create the DXF
file for you, prior to conversion with your favourite CAM program.

So you have to strip down every new item you buy and 3D scan all the parts
that might break in future?

When you have the broken bit, tack it together with contact adhesive
before scanning it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
That's ok for things that snap cleanly (but you could probably just glue
them as strongly as print a replacement part) what about parts that
disintegrate or get lost?

Examine the context, the environmant into which it fits, and measure up
before proposing the replacement to fit it. before the days of 3D printing,
this is what I had to do when the gear shift on the milling head for my
lathe
shattered into aluminium dust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

what about parts that disintegrate or get lost?

Well you just have to design new ones
Or find someone else who has already done that.

Yes I was pointing out that a 3D scanner is not necessarily the answer.
You may have to, or prefer to, design replacement parts through CAD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 26/12/14 23:37, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Hmm, I've not looked at one of those for maybe 35 years. What's the bit
at the back that the fuel pipe's connected to? I remember the needle
valve being in front, on the carburettor...

on a 1bhp engine relocating the finger-twiddlable needle valve away from
the prop^H^H^H^h rotating knives, but retaining the front rotary
induction was a challenge met successfully in that design.

That sounds sensible in a way, but must have made mounting such an engine
trickier, if there had to be room for a thumb & finger to twiddle the thing.
After all there was a certain amount of room around one when it was at the
front.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/14 14:54, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 26/12/14 23:37, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Hmm, I've not looked at one of those for maybe 35 years. What's the bit
at the back that the fuel pipe's connected to? I remember the needle
valve being in front, on the carburettor...

on a 1bhp engine relocating the finger-twiddlable needle valve away from
the prop^H^H^H^h rotating knives, but retaining the front rotary
induction was a challenge met successfully in that design.

That sounds sensible in a way, but must have made mounting such an engine
trickier, if there had to be room for a thumb & finger to twiddle the thing.
After all there was a certain amount of room around one when it was at the
front.

Well the whole needle valve assembly doesn't need adjusting often. Lots
of people add extensions with flexible tube etc.
And removable cowls are not unusual..once started and warmed up, the
setting doesn't need changing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 25/12/2014 20:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing is though, How does one get the data about the part into the
system? Is there a 3D scanner as well?
Brian

There certainly are 3D scanners. However, I suspect that a lot of items
are designed in software and that design simply put into a form that a
3D printer can use.

True. But what's the chance of getting the CAD file forthat thing in my
20 year old dishwasher? Or the 'funny clippy bit' on my bike? Call up the
manufacturer and ask?

CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

Chances are that if you're making a replacement 3D component, it won't
have that many critical dimensions. So measure the important bits of the
broken one, and design something which is functionally equivalent
without worrying too much about how pretty it looks.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
That's ok for things that snap cleanly (but you could probably just glue
them as strongly as print a replacement part) what about parts that
disintegrate or get lost?

Examine the context, the environmant into which it fits, and measure up
before proposing the replacement to fit it.

Makes more sense to find someone whose part
hasn’t yet disintegrated or got lost to scan it for you.

before the days of 3D printing, this is what I had to do when the gear
shift on the milling head for my lathe shattered into aluminium dust.

Sure, but that isn't always feasible.

Neither is getting someone else to scan theirs for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

They recently e-mailed 3D printer instructions for a spanner up to the
International Space Station. Much simpler than sending a real one up
by rocket! http://tinyurl.com/l9qfq6v

But can they email a beer?

--
A patient tells the Doctor, "I've been going to a faith healer, but wasn't getting any better."
The Doctor smiled and said, "And what dumb advice did this phony give you?"