Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3D printing anyone?

Anyone here tried it or thinking of building a 3D printer?
I saw a demonstration be these people last week
http://readinghackspace.org.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 22, 4:33*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Anyone here tried it or thinking of building a 3D printer?
I saw a demonstration be these people last weekhttp://readinghackspace.org.uk

Already using 'plastic' 3D printer. part designed in one location.
files shipped to detailer in another location. final versions ok'd and
sent to another location where the part was 'printed' then picked up
at the printer's and taken over to replace broken part. all within the
same day. Very happy customer.

This is the one I'm most familiar with as a 'sprayer' onto plaster of
paris type, but now they make other styles.

Sales, Northern California, and Nevada
Peak Solutions LLC
900 Cherry Av, Suite 300
San Bruno, CA 94066
Phone 415-846-7839
http://www.peak-solutions-llc.com
http://www.zcorp.com

ZCorp
Z Corporation
32 Second Avenue
Burlington, MA 01803 USA
tel: +1 781 852 5005
Fax: +1 781 852 5100
http://www.zcorp.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

You can get kits to build your own. Check out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...your-first-3d-
printer

http://www.makerbot.com/

http://www.rapmanusa.com/

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

One of the UK electronics hobby magazines did a project, maybe half a year
ago - AFAIK they made arrangement with a supplier to make kits available.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/23/2012 5:17 AM, Ian Field wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
. ..
Robert wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, wrote:
[...]

Yup, that was Silicon Chip.

R.P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

Do you remember which mag that was Ian ? I have been considering building
one for a while now. At the end of last year, Elektor hinted that they were
going to be doing one as a major project in the mag this year, but nothing
so far. There are plenty of examples of them working and building DIY ones
on YouTube, and the results are surprisingly good. One DIY one is quite
famous. I can't for the life of me remember its name right now, but there is
quite a community around it, and it is fundamentally self replicating in
that a number of people are selling gears and other parts that are required
to make one, which have themselves been made on one.

I have a specific purpose in mind for one, so I'd be quite interested in
anybody's experiences of a DIY one.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

Those Reading bods have a lot of technical and sw knowledge. They've
converted to 1/32 microstepping and the use of Arduini ? micro PC and now
adapting to using the Pi.
It seems one requirement , for the UK, is to establish buying the plastic
feedstock direct from China

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/22/2012 4:33 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Anyone here tried it or thinking of building a 3D printer?
I saw a demonstration be these people last week
http://readinghackspace.org.uk

20 years ago, I converted a 3-axis IC fab handler to drive
a dremel tool.
When I first learned about this, I considered replacing the
dremel with a plastic extruder. Seemed pretty straightforward.
Then I looked at the cost of the plastic extrusion filament
and dropped the whole project.

3D printing excels when you need the ability to make internal
features that can't be machined.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

If it wasn't Elektor, it must've been EPE - theyy're the only 2 I get that
would handle such a project.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Macy wrote in
:

On Jun 22, 4:33 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

I've handled the output of several of the kit ones that melt strips of
plastic together into a part.

There's the novelty in you can make goofy parts on some wooden machine.

The quality of the outputted parts is fairly low though. they all seem to
have a really rough texture, like thy're made of shredded wheat- a type of
breakfast cereal.

The commercial machines that use the powder and spray produce much much
better surface finishes.

For modelling stuff, it probably doesn't matter, but with how slow those
kit machines are as well, you're not going to be churning out tons of
useful parts for anything.

3D Printing Rita and Neil Ward Woodworking 27 July 12th 11 10:42 PM
Printing Money? cavelamb Metalworking 1 June 7th 10 06:30 PM
Light printing on LJ5 Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Electronics Repair 29 January 13th 10 12:29 AM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
Printing on card R.P.McMurphy UK diy 36 April 16th 06 06:10 AM