Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default 3D Printing

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:46:40 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are industrial
ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I think there
are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work with a
container full of powder that is then some how fused at points in 3D
space.

I think the ISS one is a standard "squirt hot plastic and hope it sets
fast enough" type. Maybe not "standard", but adapted for space use...

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in an environment full of somewhat important
electronics...