Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3D Printing

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:25:10 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

I see you can get a domestic one for only £275: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141512708869

--
Her voice had that tense grating quality, like a first-generation thermal paper fax machine that needed a band tightened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

My dentist has one that starts with a cube of ceramic, and uses a
couple of milling bits to remove material, resulting in a crown or
inset piece of replacement tooth. I watched it making a piece for
me - took about 20 mins. (System is called CEREC.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian writes:

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in an environment full of somewhat important
electronics...

I remember thinking something similar when one of the astronauts
demonstrated emptying a beaker of water out in mid-air in zero gravity,
pinging the droplets about and letting them combine (might have been
on Spacelab).

At the end, he threw a towel over them, but I expect some smaller
ones probably got away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 8:35:07 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

Thats CNC milling , subtractive manufacture, which has alot to commend it , but without going over 3 axis overhangs are a problem.

3D Printing is additive and can do the overhang thing, software patents permitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
I know that they need to be very careful with things like Toner as well, as
that can play havoc with vacuum cleaners and presumably air condigioning
filters too.

Toner is like soot - if a filter is fine enough to catch it, it will
very quickly block it. A standard vacuum cleaner bag can't filter
toner powder and just blows most of it out in the exhaust, making it
air-borne, which is bad news from a health point of view, and it's
explosive in air (ignited by low level static created in vacuum
cleaner pipework).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2014 19:34, 290jkl wrote:

Neither is getting someone else to scan theirs for you.

I have a feeling that is precisely what a lot of people will be doing...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ist-in-trouble

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2014 20:34, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In whill.co.uk,
"Dave writes:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

My dentist has one that starts with a cube of ceramic, and uses a
couple of milling bits to remove material, resulting in a crown or
inset piece of replacement tooth. I watched it making a piece for
me - took about 20 mins. (System is called CEREC.)

As others have said, that *ain't* a 3D printer - it's a CNC milling machine!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2014 12:49, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:38:18 +0000 (UTC)
Adrian wrote:

I can only imagine the consequences of a spilt container of metallic
powder, in zero g, in *A GRAVITY-LESS* environment full of somewhat
important electronics...

Well, it's not 'gravity-less', it's in free-fall.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Given the materials that can be 3D printed, has anyone found a practical
use for home 3D printing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:35:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 26/12/14 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Beautiful.

(Talking of different induction / needle valve techniques) I still
have one of these in my catamaran:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/market/...758-0-1216.jpg

It used a rotary valve rather than a ported crankshaft.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Given the materials that can be 3D printed, has anyone found a practical
use for home 3D printing?

Gear wheels, especially internal gears; figures for 16mm garden railway
at a fraction of the price of the BusyBodies range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/14 18:25, gareth wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Given the materials that can be 3D printed, has anyone found a practical
use for home 3D printing?

Gear wheels, especially internal gears; figures for 16mm garden railway
at a fraction of the price of the BusyBodies range.

Definitely making scale model parts. Or moulds for them. Prototyping
knobs and so on too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 26/12/14 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Beautiful.

(Talking of different induction / needle valve techniques) I still
have one of these in my catamaran:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/market/...758-0-1216.jpg

It used a rotary valve rather than a ported crankshaft.

Cheers, T i m

sweet. I did visual models of lots of engines for fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Given the materials that can be 3D printed, has anyone found a practical
use for home 3D printing?

Should be fine for those little figurine/dinosaur things that kids like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 26/12/14 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Beautiful.

(Talking of different induction / needle valve techniques) I still
have one of these in my catamaran:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/market/...758-0-1216.jpg

It used a rotary valve rather than a ported crankshaft.

sweet. I did visual models of lots of engines for fun.

Did you ever do an aero 4/ by any chance as I'd love to see that?

OOI, how long would it take to create the example you linked above?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 26/12/14 17:58, Theo Markettos wrote:
CAD is the biggest problem IMHO. It's fine to design simple objects, but
most of the things I want to build with a 3D printer aren't simple. The
'funny clippy bit' has a particular rounded shape in order to clip, and I
can't just duplicate that with cubes and spheres and extruded outlines.

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

Beautiful.

(Talking of different induction / needle valve techniques) I still
have one of these in my catamaran:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/market/...758-0-1216.jpg

It used a rotary valve rather than a ported crankshaft.

sweet. I did visual models of lots of engines for fun.

Did you ever do an aero 4/ by any chance as I'd love to see that?

Never did a 4 stroke no

Takes and hour or two to do a motor as a visual more if internal detail
is wanted. Of course not strictly to scale..

OOI, how long would it take to create the example you linked above?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:08:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

well thats the challenge of 3D CAD. I got pretty good at it meself...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/OS61.jpg

snip

sweet. I did visual models of lots of engines for fun.

Did you ever do an aero 4/ by any chance as I'd love to see that?

Never did a 4 stroke no

Shame. I'd love to have one, even just to hold and look at. ;-)

It's the same with these cycle frame couplings:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/spec_ssc.htm

Engineering pron to me ... a delight to hold, use and look etc. ;-)

Takes and hour or two to do a motor as a visual more if internal detail
is wanted.

Ok thanks. Not as long as I imagined, even for someone who knows what
they are doing.

Of course not strictly to scale..

Maybe not but it still looks fine. ;-)

I love cutaway / exploded diagrams as well as for me a picture has
always been worth more than 1000 words g. Daughter seems to now be
appreciating the times we have shared doing practical stuff and
mentioned she is starting to see things like an X-ray, (as I have done
for years now).

Do you have any cutaway / sectioned images you created that you would
care to share?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2014 09:52, polygonum wrote:
I am currently assembling an Ormerod 2 3D printer at work. It's a fun
project - we are not launching into 3D printing services. Not yet... :-)

About three-quarters of the way through the basic assembly.

I've never used one before and, other than the parts of the printer
itself, have not even knowingly come into contact with 3D printed parts
before. Now I have the opportunity to play with one, it seems not a bad
idea to start a 3D printing thread. I know I'd have liked one to
re-create a number of small parts for various things around the house!

I first came across 3D printing about 10 years ago, when I needed some
plastic parts moulded. The moulder produced prototypes by 3D printing,
which, while not cheap at the time, was a lot less expensive than having
a set of soft mould tools made.

--
Colin Bignell