Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default XP networked printing

Anyone happen to know the trick to sharing a printer across the network
in XP so that non-admin users on the client PC can print to it?

I've got two machines at home running XP pro, one with a (%$#^ing awful)
HP inkjet attached; I can share the printer on the one PC and then print
to it over the network when logged in as administrator on the other - but
it doesn't show up in the printer list to non-admin users on the 'client'
machine.

Note that I can happily read/write files on the print-host PC from the
client PC, no matter what the user, so the problem seems to be
specifically with the printing, rather than some "nobody but admin can
access this box" security setting.

Any ideas? I'm mostly (and happily clueless these days when it comes
to Windows problems, but googling has left me none the wiser...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 22:33, Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

From technet..

To change or remove permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes.

Right-click the printer for which you want to change or remove
permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change
or remove.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission
you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the user or group
from the permissions list, click Remove.

To view or change the underlying permissions that make up Print, Manage
Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

[...]

Hope you get an answer to this.
I use and like HP printers, but their s/w is crap.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

Anyone happen to know the trick to sharing a printer across the network in
XP so that non-admin users on the client PC can print to it?

I've got two machines at home running XP pro, one with a (%$#^ing awful)
HP inkjet attached; I can share the printer on the one PC and then print
to it over the network when logged in as administrator on the other - but
it doesn't show up in the printer list to non-admin users on the 'client'
machine.

Note that I can happily read/write files on the print-host PC from the
client PC, no matter what the user, so the problem seems to be
specifically with the printing, rather than some "nobody but admin can
access this box" security setting.

Any ideas? I'm mostly (and happily clueless these days when it comes to
Windows problems, but googling has left me none the wiser...

I have no ideas except that googling for this in terms of "networked
printing" will probably not help; to me that implies a network-addressable
printer, ie one with its own LAN cable & IP address.

I think you mean "printer sharing" - if the printer is physically attached
to one of the PCs.

One drawback of printer sharing in the latter way is that presumably to
print from the PC that doesn't have the printer attached to it you need the
other PC to be running as well.

You might find the simplest approach - assuming your HP inkjet doesn't have
a network port - would be to get a standalone network print server box and
plug the printer into that. Some router/firewalls have a printer port
specifically for that purpose.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 23:42:48 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

From technet..

To change or remove permissions for a printer

Well, it's all just set to simple sharing right now - which might *be*
the problem, although I'd be surprised if simple sharing lets a non-admin
user write to a shared folder yet doesn't let a non-admin user print...
(OTOH it is Microsoft!)

Actually, I think that simple file-sharing is all that there is in the
non-pro versions of XP, yet a quick google suggests that it's still
capable of sharing a printer - so on that basis it *should* be OK as it
is.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 01:24, Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]

From technet..

To change or remove permissions for a printer

Well, it's all just set to simple sharing right now - which might *be*
the problem, although I'd be surprised if simple sharing lets a non-admin
user write to a shared folder yet doesn't let a non-admin user print...
(OTOH it is Microsoft!)

ell it certainly possible to set that up.
XP supports full group and user privileges.

Actually, I think that simple file-sharing is all that there is in the
non-pro versions of XP, yet a quick google suggests that it's still
capable of sharing a printer - so on that basis it *should* be OK as it
is.

It can share printers.
However I recall some drivers asking if stuff should be installed for
all users or just the person installing them.
The instructions were for the client so you could check what permissions
were set.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 1:24*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
[...]

*From technet..

To change or remove permissions for a printer

Well, it's all just set to simple sharing right now - which might *be*
the problem, although I'd be surprised if simple sharing lets a non-admin
user write to a shared folder yet doesn't let a non-admin user print...
(OTOH it is Microsoft!)

Actually, I think that simple file-sharing is all that there is in the
non-pro versions of XP, yet a quick google suggests that it's still
capable of sharing a printer - so on that basis it *should* be OK as it
is.

It works for me, sharing an XP shared printer with XP, Vista and 7
PCs. It was a pain finding and installing the drivers for Vista and 7,
but once installed it works just fine. Can't help with the how or why.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've has this working happily on W2k in the past. The print share is
very similar to a network share, with similar permissions. I can't
tell you the XP equivalent ATM, but it should be similar to W2k:

Rt-Click My Computer
Manage
Shared Folders
Shares
Double-Click Print$ (possibly, or, AISTR that is an admin default like
C$ on the system drive, whatever share name you actually gave to the
printer. If you didn't specify a non-admin-default share, you
probably need to add one)
Check the permissions

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 23:45:45 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

Note that I can happily read/write files on the print-host PC from the
client PC, no matter what the user, so the problem seems to be
specifically with the printing, rather than some "nobody but admin can
access this box" security setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:32:12 +0000, tony sayer wrote:
Q..

Is this a network printer thats one with an Ethernet socket on it or one
where you have the printer connected via USB or centronics cable to a
PC?

USB into the one PC; there's no Ethernet port on the printer itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 17:54:35 +0000, Toiler wrote:
It might sound obvious but have you installed the printer drivers on the
client? It won't work otherwise

Yes - and there's no problem printing as administrator from that machine;
it's just when logged in as a non-admin user that the printer doesn't
show up in the client machine's printer list.

It seems like there are some permissions screwed up somewhere, but
finding where might be tricky as of course being Microsoft it's supposed
to automagically work but then when it doesn't it's a complete flippin'
nightmare. :-(

The workaround at the moment is to just copy files to a share on the
server and then walk over to it and print from there, but it would be
nice if it worked as it was supposed to.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes

[...]

Start/help & Support/Printers & Faxes.

It's all about sharing permissions.

I used to run my previous printer that way but can't remember the
setting up details. You will need to install the drivers on every
client.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 21:38, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 17:54:35 +0000, Toiler wrote:
It might sound obvious but have you installed the printer drivers on the
client? It won't work otherwise

Yes - and there's no problem printing as administrator from that machine;
it's just when logged in as a non-admin user that the printer doesn't
show up in the client machine's printer list.

It seems like there are some permissions screwed up somewhere, but
finding where might be tricky as of course being Microsoft it's supposed
to automagically work but then when it doesn't it's a complete flippin'
nightmare. :-(

The pragmatic solution would be to by a cheap printserver and stick the
printer straight on the network and not fuss with solving the actual
problem! (IME some of these can take some time to track down!)

The workaround at the moment is to just copy files to a share on the
server and then walk over to it and print from there, but it would be
nice if it worked as it was supposed to.

It might be worth trying to reset all the normal security settings to
their defaults. You can do this on XP SP3 machines with:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson posted

Anyone happen to know the trick to sharing a printer across the network
in XP so that non-admin users on the client PC can print to it?

I've got two machines at home running XP pro, one with a (%$#^ing awful)
HP inkjet attached; I can share the printer on the one PC and then print
to it over the network when logged in as administrator on the other - but
it doesn't show up in the printer list to non-admin users on the 'client'
machine.

Note that I can happily read/write files on the print-host PC from the
client PC, no matter what the user, so the problem seems to be
specifically with the printing, rather than some "nobody but admin can
access this box" security setting.

Here's something that worked for me:

If User Account Control is disabled on the computer, you cannot install
a network printer successfully. This problem occurs if the network
printer is hosted by a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based
computer.
However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer
from vista:
Run a command prompt and type the following:
net use LPT2: \\servername\printer
This sets up a behind-the-scenes connection to the printer.
Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer,
and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and
you can just choose whatever XP driver you might have been using before.
The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.
From poking around, it seems when the error appears that the driver is
actually installed, but something between it being installed and it
actually being added to vista's list of printers breaks. Doing the above
just works though.

--
Les