Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default XP networked printing

Anyone happen to know the trick to sharing a printer across the network
in XP so that non-admin users on the client PC can print to it?

I've got two machines at home running XP pro, one with a (%$#^ing awful)
HP inkjet attached; I can share the printer on the one PC and then print
to it over the network when logged in as administrator on the other - but
it doesn't show up in the printer list to non-admin users on the 'client'
machine.

Note that I can happily read/write files on the print-host PC from the
client PC, no matter what the user, so the problem seems to be
specifically with the printing, rather than some "nobody but admin can
access this box" security setting.

Any ideas? I'm mostly (and happily clueless these days when it comes
to Windows problems, but googling has left me none the wiser...

cheers

Jules