Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default 3D Printing

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:43:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I have no idea how a 3D printer can make a spanner strong enough to undo
and tighten screws. what is the media it prints? Perhaps someone could
point us to a web page that explains it all.

There are 3D printers and 3D printers. The domestic ones squirt
thermosetting plastic out of nozzle in layers. But there are
industrial ones that produce objects in ceramic (of some sort) and I
think there are ones about that can produce metal objects. These work
with a container full of powder that is then some how fused at points
in 3D space.

I think the ISS one is a standard "squirt hot plastic and hope it sets
fast enough" type. Maybe not "standard", but adapted for space use...

And I've seen a shifting spanner printed on one in the past - the moving
bits are held in place with thin "webs" which you break or cut with a
scalpel/knife, but they're usable - for e.g. plastic meccano...

And if you can 3D print a "gun" then I imagine you can 3D print a custom
spanner - might only be good enough for 1 or 2 uses, but still cheaper than
the alternative...

Happy eating too much day

Gordon