Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homebase

On 03/10/14 15:50, John Williamson wrote:
On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to
change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

well that's because despite all the PC faux horror, no one really gives
a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homobase

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:42:14 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

Some things have, I believe, legal limits for retail sale. Try buying
three packets paracetamol... I get paracetamol from Costco 24 packs
of 16 tabs "trade only".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:42:14 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

Some things have, I believe, legal limits for retail sale. Try buying
three packets paracetamol... I get paracetamol from Costco 24 packs
of 16 tabs "trade only".

Logical, I suppose. No one in trade ever tries to kill themselves. ;-)

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 October 2014 16:37:15 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:42:14 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how

credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a

hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread..

Some things have, I believe, legal limits for retail sale. Try buying

three packets paracetamol... I get paracetamol from Costco 24 packs

of 16 tabs "trade only".

Logical, I suppose. No one in trade ever tries to kill themselves. ;-)

I had teh same problem in sainsburys wanted to buy 3 packs 1 aprin 1 parcetomol and one nuerofen or whatever they are called the till girl said I can only buy 2 packets. The only reason I brought them was because all of mine were out of date the paracetomol was dated jan 2013 I had used two of them. Dates on the other boxes were all about the same.

Anyway what makes tehm think I'm trying to kill myself I can think of many other people I'd prefer to kill before myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 October 2014 16:17:09 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/10/14 15:50, John Williamson wrote:

On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and

unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to
change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

well that's because despite all the PC faux horror, no one really gives
a ****.

Yeah us Homosapians really don't give a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Logical, I suppose. No one in trade ever tries to kill themselves. ;-)

I had teh same problem in sainsburys wanted to buy 3 packs 1 aprin 1
parcetomol and one nuerofen or whatever they are called the till girl
said I can only buy 2 packets. The only reason I brought them was
because all of mine were out of date the paracetomol was dated jan 2013
I had used two of them. Dates on the other boxes were all about the
same.

Anyway what makes tehm think I'm trying to kill myself I can think of
many other people I'd prefer to kill before myself.

I'm fairly certain that's the reason for the restriction.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 15:50, John Williamson wrote:
On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to
change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

There's a HUGE difference between mocking a state and being evil against
a person who is possessed of said state IMHO.

Others may disagree. I like Clarkson's humour...

But to my mind making joke about nationality/sexual
preference/disability is in a whole different world to sticking a sign
in your B&B window saying "no blacks/irish/gays" (the latter being a
very current example).

And the danger is if you drive riske humour out of the mainstream,
you'll just breed hidden resentment which very often does manifest in
nasty ways. Jokes are a good way to lighten things up and they don't
have to be nasty.

May I remind people that it is still common for someone to say "are you
blind" to someone who cannot locate an item.

This is exactly equivalent to so many things that have become
politically incorrect.

Is anyone offended? Perhaps Brian might have an opinion on this
particular example.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 16:47, whisky-dave wrote:

Yeah us Homosapians really don't give a ****.

Homo erectus.

Fnarr fnarr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Aside: I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not
clever, and not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I
thought] I know and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of
plywood.

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 10:01, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:53:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

Since when did bigotry require logic?

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".
Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

FUNNY!

Forget it Dave: you made the "crack", a coupla people (inc. me)
commented, you took an appropriate step back, but a coupla people won't
let it go. .... Just forget it!

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman
escribió:

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Funny. And I'm gay.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no hope for you.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:10:14 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

It's sub-Clarkson.

Who is in trouble again.

Driving a Porsche in Argentina with number plate H982 FKL... (1)982
Falklands?

Stones, insults and rude words thrown in Clarkson's direction by the
local Patagonians and the car has been abandoned with his nibs and the
crew leaving in a hurry.

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 21:45, F wrote:
On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

It's sub-Clarkson.

Who is in trouble again.

Driving a Porsche in Argentina with number plate H982 FKL... (1)982
Falklands?

Stones, insults and rude words thrown in Clarkson's direction by the
local Patagonians and the car has been abandoned with his nibs and the
crew leaving in a hurry.

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

Just discovered they were in Ushuaia. We've been there a few times and
there's not a lot going on so chasing Clarkson probably offered them as
much entertainment as they've had in the last ten years!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:45:35 +0100, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The plate is genuinely on a taxed and tested grey 928, though, and is the
right age.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 21:45, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The should know it is a river.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 22:16, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:45:35 +0100, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The plate is genuinely on a taxed and tested grey 928, though, and is the
right age.

The plate/car combination may be genuine but their presence in Argentina
is quite a coincidence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Job 100 yards from Homobase, nearest alternative 4 miles away, 4:45
pm.

So no different from buying milk from a corner shop to a supermarket?

Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power
as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.

I'll bet they haven't, for the sort of things those firms sell.

Large companies deal direct with the maker - not the likes of Costco etc
where you can buy most things in one go, like a corner shop might do.

And I can't see Homebase selling anything like the same quantities of
wiring accessories as a proper electrical wholesaler.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Somewhere, I have read that the limit of 32 paracetamol/aspirin/etc
tablets only applies to shops. At a pharmacist, they *can* sell you more
(maybe 100?) - but maybe this is only if you're served by a qualified
pharmacist.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 21:03, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:10:14 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Homebase have moved their product offering from bricks/timber/cement to
scatter cushions/cookware/table lamps.

Gay men are more likely to be interested in interior design and have a
greater appreciation of it than most straight men. Its also probably
true that gay men have better fashion sense than most straight men. A
stereotype I know, but probably accurate.

Having an interest and ability in interior design is a positive trait,
not a negative trait.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume that
I was having a go at straight men - or Wickes product offering?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Funny. And I'm gay.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no hope for you.

All British humour needs a victim, and the stand-ups generally have a
thinly disguised contempt for anyone but themselves. Actually, I think I
can do without humour (and maybe laughter) altogether.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 00:05, JoeJoe wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2014 22:38, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:25:59 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Not my favourite store.
Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!!

*had to*?

Owain

Job 100 yards from Homobase, nearest alternative 4 miles away, 4:45 pm.

So no different from buying milk from a corner shop to a supermarket?

Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power
as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.

Tesco et al have much greater purchasing power than a corner shop.

4 pints of milk at Tesco used to be ~£1.30 until very recently until the
pressure from the German duo must have forced them to go down to £1 like
the rest...

I have a Tesco and an Asda at a similar distance from my house. Prices
at Tesco for standard box-shifting stuff, i.e. branded goods, are at
least 20% higher on average. Haven't set foot there in the last few
years and glad to see that everybody else has finally woken up to this too.

SWMBO got a Morrisons loyalty card in the post. Similar to the one
where you get points on petrol, but now applies in store.

Apparently when you swipe the card at the till it automatically compares
the prices of the goods with the other big three supermarkets AND Aldi &
Lidl. It mentions them by name.

You get points for any difference in price; including non branded goods.

"Morrisons has announced a new loyalty card scheme in an effort to seize
back the initiative in the supermarket wars.

The retailer says its Match & More card will award points equivalent to
the difference in price on items that are cheaper in other supermarkets.

Morrisons said its scheme provided a price match guarantee against
discount chains Aldi and Lidl, as well as Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29454970

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 23:30, F wrote:
On 03/10/2014 22:16, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:45:35 +0100, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The plate is genuinely on a taxed and tested grey 928, though, and is the
right age.

The plate/car combination may be genuine but their presence in Argentina
is quite a coincidence.

Clarkson plays the press like a violin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message ...

In message , John Williamson
writes
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he can't
sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of each item
you can buy.

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

I managed to order 50 tins of pineapple online from Waitrose (by mistake).

They did ring me to check if I really wanted them, but I missed the call,
so they delivered them with the rest of the order. It was apparently pretty
much the stores entire stock (they ahd had to bring small tins as well, to
make up enough) :-)

So, are you sick of tinned pineapple yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:16:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

But you already knew this - so why buy from them?

Gives him the opportunity to keep writing Homo?

As I said, I was nearby.

So the price premium was outweighed by the convenience.

And you probably recharged the part to the customer anyway.

Yep. And I bet there are cheaper variants of TMHomoman in the locality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Funny. And I'm gay.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no hope for you.

All British humour needs a victim, and the stand-ups generally have a
thinly disguised contempt for anyone but themselves.

All humour needs a 'victim'.

Actually, I think I
can do without humour (and maybe laughter) altogether.

I never could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:41:45 AM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Gay men are more likely to be interested in interior design and have a
greater appreciation of it than most straight men. Its also probably
true that gay men have better fashion sense than most straight men.

Which explains why gay men shop in Ikea and wouldn't be seen dead in Homebase.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:28:17 AM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Most pharmacists are conservative to the point of paranoid. There are exceptions out there, but they're hard to find. I more often buy online when I want chemicals now.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 09:41:45 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections
with the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Yep, and it says a lot about your level of humour that you don't realise
that you think it funny to insult them by calling them gay. Most people
grew out of that in school.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume that
I was having a go at straight men

Since when were all white van men straight? Those who aren't hide the
fact largely because of prejudice such as you're displaying here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/10/2014 23:30, F wrote:
On 03/10/2014 22:16, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:45:35 +0100, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The plate is genuinely on a taxed and tested grey 928, though, and is
the right age.

The plate/car combination may be genuine but their presence in
Argentina is quite a coincidence.

Clarkson plays the press like a violin.

ITYM he lies when it suits him.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/10/2014 21:03, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:10:14 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Think we got that.

However, you obviously dislike Homebase since your post criticised them.
And not for the first time. That is up to you. Everyone is entitled to
their opinion.

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've chosen
to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a poor
opinion of those.

Homebase have moved their product offering from bricks/timber/cement to
scatter cushions/cookware/table lamps.

Fine. Since you already know that, no point in going to them for things
they no longer sell.

Gay men are more likely to be interested in interior design and have a
greater appreciation of it than most straight men. Its also probably
true that gay men have better fashion sense than most straight men. A
stereotype I know, but probably accurate.

Having an interest and ability in interior design is a positive trait,
not a negative trait.

Right. So you're now saying you were complimenting Homebase when you used
that nickname? Didn't seem so by your posts.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume that
I was having a go at straight men - or Wickes product offering?

What makes you think only straight men drive white vans?

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 10:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 09:41:45 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections
with the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Yep, and it says a lot about your level of humour that you don't realise
that you think it funny to insult them by calling them gay. Most people
grew out of that in school.

When I was at school the word "gay" hadn't been hijacked by a minority
group
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:20:07 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Yep, and it says a lot about your level of humour that you don't
realise that you think it funny to insult them by calling them gay.
Most people grew out of that in school.

When I was at school the word "gay" hadn't been hijacked by a minority
group

No, they were probably all too busy trying to hide who they were out of
sheer fear of persecution by both the law and bigots.

Thank gawd we've got past those dark days, eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Funny. And I'm gay.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no hope for you.

All British humour needs a victim, and the stand-ups generally have a
thinly disguised contempt for anyone but themselves.

All humour needs a 'victim'.

Actually, I think I
can do without humour (and maybe laughter) altogether.

I never could.

I don't rule out smiling! NBC's Parks and Rec is a good example of
"victimless" humour IMO. The writers need to be a whole lot cleverer
than Clarkson though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:15:43 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 03/10/2014 10:01, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:53:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

Since when did bigotry require logic?

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the
furniture".

Robin Williams

Is that bigotry? Or just funny?

Definitely not bigotry, stereotyping. As a 'throw away line' it was
funny.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 09:28, Ian Jackson wrote:

Somewhere, I have read that the limit of 32 paracetamol/aspirin/etc
tablets only applies to shops. At a pharmacist, they *can* sell you more
(maybe 100?) - but maybe this is only if you're served by a qualified
pharmacist.

Pharmacies can have larger packs too.

The statistics show that suicides have dropped since the limits on the
number sold even though one small pack is enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 1:30:07 PM UTC+1, Dennis@home wrote:
On 04/10/2014 09:28, Ian Jackson wrote:
Somewhere, I have read that the limit of 32 paracetamol/aspirin/etc
tablets only applies to shops. At a pharmacist, they *can* sell you more
(maybe 100?) - but maybe this is only if you're served by a qualified
pharmacist.

Pharmacies can have larger packs too.
The statistics show that suicides have dropped since the limits on the
number sold even though one small pack is enough.

which would seem to suggest the cause is something else

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 10:22, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 09:41:45 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections
with the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Yep, and it says a lot about your level of humour that you don't realise
that you think it funny to insult them by calling them gay. Most people
grew out of that in school.

I think it says more about your lack of humour. I repeat, I'm not having
a go at homosexuals, I'm commenting on Homebase's product range.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume that
I was having a go at straight men

Since when were all white van men straight? Those who aren't hide the
fact largely because of prejudice such as you're displaying here.

That is a complete irrelevance.