Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homobase

Not my favourite store.

Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!!

Also had two jobs where customer has bought Homobase own label 'one
coat' emulsion. If it hadn't said so on the tin, I'd have thought it
was normal paint. Not a patch on Wilkinson's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:25:59 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Not my favourite store.
Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!!

*had to*?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

*had to*?

Circumstances. Once in the south of England I *had* to buy a roll
of coax from B & Q for three times what it would have cost at my
normal suppliers, because the customer (it was a chain store)
suddenly decided to add another 15 TV points. B & Q was almost next
door, and it was 5pm. Needless to say I marked the cable up from
the B & Q price by 33%.

Likewise I was forced to buy a pack of AAA batteries at the most
ridiculous price from Morrisons because when I visited one of my
more helpless friends in Leeds the batteries in his remote were
flat.

And I once paid a small fortune for one recordable CD. I was in
Limerick and I needed to post some data.

You're trading your time & convenience (which has a cost) against
the inflated price of something you need right *now*. Might be
galling, but sometimes you have no choice. Even then it can be a
winner if you work out the cost of the hassle / inconvenience of
getting a better price.

I use a lot of CR2032 button batteries in various items. Usually
get them in boxes of 10 by by mail order. If I forget to do so,
and have to buy a battery locally, there's no need to stick a GPS
tracking device on my Zimmer frame to trace my route to the local
shops. You can tell my route by the clouds of angry-looking steam
emanating from the top of my head...even so, the need outweighs the
cost.
--
Dennis Davis

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

*terribly* witty subject heading, dahling...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So no different from buying milk from a corner shop to a supermarket?

I've just purchased some milk at a corners shop £1 for 4 pints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

As do B&Q if you compare their prices with Toolstation. Or even sometimes
Screwfix.

But you already knew this - so why buy from them?

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know
and love!

I agree with you about their "pricing structures": we've just had one
open here, so have had leisure to wander round: classic "marketing and
presentation" aimed at their (increasingly not in accurate) idea of the
general public: livestock, to be herded into the buying pens.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 19:29, Another John wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know
and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

I agree with you about their "pricing structures": we've just had one
open here, so have had leisure to wander round: classic "marketing and
presentation" aimed at their (increasingly not in accurate) idea of the
general public: livestock, to be herded into the buying pens.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know
and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

Fair comment

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:56:42 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

This is the 2010s. Straight men are allowed to buy scatter cushions you know.

Homebase selling plywood is a bit like Woolworths competing with Poundland.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 22:12, fred wrote:
In article ],
Another John writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not
clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know
and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of
plywood.

Fair comment

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and unwelcome.

In your opinion....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 18:33, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power
as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.

Tesco et al have much greater purchasing power than a corner shop.

true, but many "corner shops" are served by a purchasing group such as
"Costcutter" or "Londis".

And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

He needs to go to Lidl or Aldi. They'll sell you the entire shop stock if
you are willing to pay.

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:42:14 PM UTC+1, John Williamson wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson johnwilliamson wrote:

And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.
I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

You can bulk buy at Asda if you call ahead to order the stuff in. I expect other supermarkets would do the same.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

I managed to order 50 tins of pineapple online from Waitrose (by
mistake).

They did ring me to check if I really wanted them, but I missed the
call, so they delivered them with the rest of the order. It was
apparently pretty much the stores entire stock (they ahd had to bring
small tins as well, to make up enough) :-)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

In article ],
Another John writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know
and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

Fair comment

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

It was, at least, novel... to begin with (unlike Microshaft or
Micro$oft references seen in other groups where it's a case of
'preaching to the choir', 'Teaching Granny to suck eggs' and is
getting just a little tired now).

The ideal would have been to only use the deliberate 'typo' in the
subject line and nowhere else but I know what it's like when you think
up an appropriate epiphet like this, you tend to get carried away with
it.

I used to do the same with Microsoft and Packard Bell (Packard Bell
End) but I tend to avoid such expressions now since, if persisted in,
it tends to be regarded as not big nor clever.
--
J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman
escribió:

Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power
as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.

Homobase have huge stores = high rent and hordes of spotty sullen
teenage "assistants" that have to be paid.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

He needs to go to Lidl or Aldi. They'll sell you the entire shop stock if
you are willing to pay.

regularly see people with trolleys loaded with just flour or tins of
food (mushy peas seem popular)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 22:12, fred wrote:
In article ],
Another John writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:
I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not
clever, and
not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I
know
and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of
plywood.

Fair comment

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

In your opinion....

Mine too. Especially given your pathetic explanation.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

As do B&Q if you compare their prices with Toolstation. Or even sometimes
Screwfix.

On this particular item B&Q were much cheaper. They aren't as bad as
Homobase.

But you already knew this - so why buy from them?

As I said, I was nearby.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 23:23:37 UTC+1, John Williamson wrote:

And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

Sounds familiar. When my late father gave up running his grocer's shop around 40 years ago this was one of the reasons he gave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:16:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

But you already knew this - so why buy from them?

As I said, I was nearby.

So the price premium was outweighed by the convenience.

And you probably recharged the part to the customer anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power
as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.

Homobase have huge stores = high rent and hordes of spotty sullen
teenage "assistants" that have to be paid.

They also provide a "Service" of displaying the kit on shelves where you
can study the goods up close and compare different versions side by side
before making your purchase. Not easy when all the stock is held in a
store room and only brought out to the front when you have bought it.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Homobase have huge stores = high rent and hordes of spotty sullen
teenage "assistants" that have to be paid.

Really? Lucky to find any staff in my local one - even on the till.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

He needs to go to Lidl or Aldi. They'll sell you the entire shop stock
if you are willing to pay.

regularly see people with trolleys loaded with just flour or tins of
food (mushy peas seem popular)

Yes. I've seen people with trolleys groaning with multiples of just one
item. I assumed they were buying it for commercial use.

If a supermarket is genuinely selling something as a loss leader I could
understand them limiting the numbers. But Lidl etc don't do that sort of
nonsense. Their customers aren't so easily conned.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Not my favourite store.

Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!!

I'd get a refund. Their site says 2.99.

Also had two jobs where customer has bought Homobase own label 'one
coat' emulsion. If it hadn't said so on the tin, I'd have thought it
was normal paint. Not a patch on Wilkinson's.

They do different qualities of own brand paint. I've found their top
quality one pretty good. One of the few things I'd buy from them.
People who buy paint for someone else to use usually buy the cheapest.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Aside: I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not
clever, and not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I
thought] I know and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,
furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of
plywood.

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:53:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

Since when did bigotry require logic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

Aside:

I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and

not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know

and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,

furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

And what traumatic experience involving Beelzebub befell you in Toolsatan?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homebase

On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to
change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.