Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homobase

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/10/2014 21:03, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:10:14 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with
the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

And you're doing that by...?

Sigh.

First of all - it's a joke.

Think we got that.

Glad someone did.

However, you obviously dislike Homebase since your post criticised them.
And not for the first time. That is up to you. Everyone is entitled to
their opinion.

Thank you.

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've chosen
to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a poor
opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

Homebase have moved their product offering from bricks/timber/cement to
scatter cushions/cookware/table lamps.

Fine. Since you already know that, no point in going to them for things
they no longer sell.

Gay men are more likely to be interested in interior design and have a
greater appreciation of it than most straight men. Its also probably
true that gay men have better fashion sense than most straight men. A
stereotype I know, but probably accurate.

Having an interest and ability in interior design is a positive trait,
not a negative trait.

Right. So you're now saying you were complimenting Homebase when you used
that nickname? Didn't seem so by your posts.

No, I'm saying that Homebase product line has radically shifted away
from basic DIY supplies.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume that
I was having a go at straight men - or Wickes product offering?

What makes you think only straight men drive white vans?

I don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:51:12 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I think it says more about your lack of humour.

There are some things that just aren't funny. Bigotry is one.

I repeat, I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm commenting on
Homebase's product range.

You're doing so BY comparing them negatively to gay people.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume
that I was having a go at straight men

Since when were all white van men straight? Those who aren't hide the
fact largely because of prejudice such as you're displaying here.

That is a complete irrelevance.

No, it's _precisely_ the point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he
can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of
each item you can buy.

He needs to go to Lidl or Aldi. They'll sell you the entire shop stock if
you are willing to pay.

regularly see people with trolleys loaded with just flour or tins of food
(mushy peas seem popular)

at 16p per tine, I'm not surprised!

Woman in front of me at T last week had a trolley full of about 30 tins of
"special offer" Celebrations.

IIRC they were only a pound off at 5 pounds a tin (normally in the weeks
before at Xmas they are BOGOF), so I don't know what she thought she was
saving.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:53:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've
chosen to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a
poor opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much of
an insult to Homebase, would it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
"Chris French" wrote in message

In message , John Williamson
writes
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been
told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's
cheaper than his wholesaler.

So why doesn't he buy his stock there too?

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he can't
sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of each
item you can buy.

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how
credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a
hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

I managed to order 50 tins of pineapple online from Waitrose (by mistake).

They did ring me to check if I really wanted them, but I missed the call,
so they delivered them with the rest of the order. It was apparently
pretty much the stores entire stock (they ahd had to bring small tins as
well, to make up enough) :-)

So, are you sick of tinned pineapple yet?

Oh come on

it's only one tin a month for the next 4 years

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2014-10-04, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/10/2014 23:30, F wrote:
On 03/10/2014 22:16, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:45:35 +0100, F wrote:

The BBC claim the plate is a coincidence!

The plate is genuinely on a taxed and tested grey 928, though, and is
the right age.

The plate/car combination may be genuine but their presence in
Argentina is quite a coincidence.

Clarkson plays the press like a violin.

ITYM he lies when it suits him.

Just like the press, then.

Well, he is basically a journalist. Long before he was a TV personality.

You can say something is a coincidence once in a while. But every time is
beyond belief.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Yep, and it says a lot about your level of humour that you don't realise
that you think it funny to insult them by calling them gay. Most people
grew out of that in school.

When I was at school the word "gay" hadn't been hijacked by a minority
group

And it's been hijacked again - with a less than pleasant meaning.

Oh - gay wasn't hijacked by homosexuals. It was initially a word used by
them as a code word. It was hijacked by the 'straight' meja who started
using it publically. Rather than the less pleasant alternatives.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:53:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've
chosen to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a
poor opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much
of an insult to Homebase, would it?

I'm afraid the logic of discussion doesn't seem to be one of TMH's strong
points.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/stuart noble
All British humour needs a victim, and the stand-ups generally have a
thinly disguised contempt for anyone but themselves. Actually, I think I
can do without humour (and maybe laughter) altogether/q

We hadn't noticed....:-)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Huge
On 2014-10-04, Ian Jackson wrote:

Somewhere, I have read that the limit of 32 paracetamol/aspirin/etc
tablets only applies to shops. At a pharmacist, they *can* sell you more
(maybe 100?) - but maybe this is only if you're served by a qualified
pharmacist.

[Makes mental note to stock up on painkillers whilst in the US next month.] /q

Er... that'll be nice for you dear.... remember the bourbon too.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 14:05, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:51:12 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I think it says more about your lack of humour.

There are some things that just aren't funny. Bigotry is one.

I'd agree, which is why I'm not engaging in bigotry.

I repeat, I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm commenting on
Homebase's product range.

You're doing so BY comparing them negatively to gay people.

I'm not comparing them negatively at all.

If I referred to Wickes as "White Van Man" Wickes, would you assume
that I was having a go at straight men

Since when were all white van men straight? Those who aren't hide the
fact largely because of prejudice such as you're displaying here.

That is a complete irrelevance.

No, it's _precisely_ the point.

No, its an irrelevance. Would you complain if I compared Wickes
negatively with white van drivers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 14:06, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:53:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've
chosen to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a
poor opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

I'm insulting Homebase because their product range has changed from
basic DIY supplies to lifestyle interior design accessories.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much of
an insult to Homebase, would it?

I don't have any issues with gay people.

I do have a sense of humour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:53:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's not
unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since you've
chosen to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must also have a
poor opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much
of an insult to Homebase, would it?

I'm afraid the logic of discussion doesn't seem to be one of TMH's strong
points.

I've seen no evidence of logical discussion from either of you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

I'm insulting Homebase because their product range has changed from
basic DIY supplies to lifestyle interior design accessories

Right. You insult them by calling them 'Homebase', but that isn't intended
an insult to 'homos'?

Something not quite right there.

--
*Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I'm afraid the logic of discussion doesn't seem to be one of TMH's
strong points.

I've seen no evidence of logical discussion from either of you.

As I said you don't seem to understand what you're saying.

--
*ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:19:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

However, you've chosen to give them your own made up name. So it's
not unreasonable to assume you mean it as an insult. And since
you've chosen to use a slang expression for homosexuals, you must
also have a poor opinion of those.

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion
of homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much
of an insult to Homebase, would it?

I'm afraid the logic of discussion doesn't seem to be one of TMH's
strong points.

I've seen no evidence of logical discussion from either of you.

That's probably because you wouldn't recognise it if it bit you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:18:10 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

I'm insulting Homebase because their product range has changed from
basic DIY supplies to lifestyle interior design accessories.

Which you deem "inferior" and associate with homosexuality.

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much
of an insult to Homebase, would it?

I don't have any issues with gay people.

So why use them as an insult?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

John Williamson wrote:
[...]

They would ahve taken it back, but I felt that I couldn't really .

The kids like it, so will often have a tin. Still have some left though
:-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

I'm insulting Homebase because their product range has changed from
basic DIY supplies to lifestyle interior design accessories

Right. You insult them by calling them 'Homebase', but that isn't intended
an insult to 'homos'?

No, I call them Homobase. Do pay attention.

Something not quite right there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 16:55, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:18:10 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Nope, I have a poor opinion of Homebase.

So you insult them by calling them gay - which suggests your opinion of
homosexual people is similarly low, if not lower.

I'm insulting Homebase because their product range has changed from
basic DIY supplies to lifestyle interior design accessories.

Which you deem "inferior" and associate with homosexuality.

"interior" not "inferior".

After all, if you had no issue with homosexuality, it wouldn't be much
of an insult to Homebase, would it?

I don't have any issues with gay people.

So why use them as an insult?

I'm not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/ I've seen no evidence of logical discussion from either of you.

That's probably because you wouldn't recognise it if it bit you.

Kettle, pot, black/q

Racist

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 October 2014 20:10:14 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

In article ,

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Aside: I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not

clever, and not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I

thought] I know and love!

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware,

furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of

plywood.

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with

the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

I'm not having a go at homosexuals, I'm having a go at Homebase.

for providing a gay service.

"The word 'gay', in addition to being used to mean 'homosexual' or 'carefree', was often now used to mean 'lame' or 'rubbish'. This is a widespread current usage of the word amongst young people... The word 'gay' ... need not be offensive... or homophobic ... "

The meaning of teh work Fag has also changed somewhat to some people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 October 2014 17:24:10 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave wrote:

Logical, I suppose. No one in trade ever tries to kill themselves. ;-)

I had teh same problem in sainsburys wanted to buy 3 packs 1 aprin 1

parcetomol and one nuerofen or whatever they are called the till girl

said I can only buy 2 packets. The only reason I brought them was

because all of mine were out of date the paracetomol was dated jan 2013

I had used two of them. Dates on the other boxes were all about the

same.

Anyway what makes tehm think I'm trying to kill myself I can think of
many other people I'd prefer to kill before myself.

I'm fairly certain that's the reason for the restriction.

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

--

*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/14 14:03, whisky-dave wrote:

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

Which is odd as it must the worst method possible.

It either doesn't work or it takes so long to work that the victim
changes their mind by which time their liver is so buggered that death
is merely a matter of time - a horrible nasty painful time.

If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2. One of
which is very readily available on the high street.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 2:34:36 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/10/14 14:03, whisky-dave wrote:

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

Which is odd as it must the worst method possible.
It either doesn't work or it takes so long to work that the victim
changes their mind by which time their liver is so buggered that death
is merely a matter of time - a horrible nasty painful time.
If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2. One of
which is very readily available on the high street.

We could have a diy death how-to thread. How cheerful.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
We could have a diy death how-to thread. How cheerful.

NT/q

Wot no wiki?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Tim Watts

Angle grinder?/q

Pressure washer?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 2:34:36 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2. One of
which is very readily available on the high street.

CO is fairly readily available if you know where to look.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 5:23:29 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 2:34:36 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2. One of
which is very readily available on the high street.

CO is fairly readily available if you know where to look.

Trivial to make in situ too. Not my first choice though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 06/10/14 15:45, wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 2:34:36 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/10/14 14:03, whisky-dave wrote:

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill
overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

Which is odd as it must the worst method possible.
It either doesn't work or it takes so long to work that the victim
changes their mind by which time their liver is so buggered that death
is merely a matter of time - a horrible nasty painful time.
If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2. One of
which is very readily available on the high street.

We could have a diy death how-to thread. How cheerful.

Angle grinder?

I once posted about a DIY angle grider death in my village. He adapted a
lawnmower motor to fit an angle grider disc.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Logical, I suppose. No one in trade ever tries to kill themselves. ;-)

I had teh same problem in sainsburys wanted to buy 3 packs 1 aprin 1
parcetomol and one nuerofen or whatever they are called the till girl
said I can only buy 2 packets. The only reason I brought them was
because all of mine were out of date the paracetomol was dated jan 2013
I had used two of them. Dates on the other boxes were all about the
same.

Anyway what makes tehm think I'm trying to kill myself I can think of
many other people I'd prefer to kill before myself.

I'm fairly certain that's the reason for the restriction.

Can you only buy 1m lengths of rope in Bridgend?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:

/Tim Watts
Meow222:
We could have a diy death how-to thread. How cheerful.

Angle grinder?/q

Pressure washer?

Excellent, you two! Thanks for the laugh! :-D

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 19:06:08 +0100, ARW wrote:

I once posted about a DIY angle grider death in my village. He adapted a
lawnmower motor to fit an angle grider disc.

Please tell me that it was a petrol lawnmower...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 19:06:08 +0100, ARW wrote:

I once posted about a DIY angle grider death in my village. He adapted a
lawnmower motor to fit an angle grider disc.

Please tell me that it was a petrol lawnmower...

I could tell you that but it would not be true.

--
Adam