Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homebase

On 03/10/14 15:50, John Williamson wrote:
On 03/10/2014 09:03, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:12:31 +0100, fred wrote:

You were right the first time, it is neither big nor clever, and
unwelcome.

Agreed.

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha. drags knuckles

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to
change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

There's a HUGE difference between mocking a state and being evil against
a person who is possessed of said state IMHO.

Others may disagree. I like Clarkson's humour...

But to my mind making joke about nationality/sexual
preference/disability is in a whole different world to sticking a sign
in your B&B window saying "no blacks/irish/gays" (the latter being a
very current example).

And the danger is if you drive riske humour out of the mainstream,
you'll just breed hidden resentment which very often does manifest in
nasty ways. Jokes are a good way to lighten things up and they don't
have to be nasty.

May I remind people that it is still common for someone to say "are you
blind" to someone who cannot locate an item.

This is exactly equivalent to so many things that have become
politically incorrect.

Is anyone offended? Perhaps Brian might have an opinion on this
particular example.