Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchens..... Schreiber and Homebase....

Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

I'm doing the floor tiling, the wall tiling, electrics, and plumbing myself.

We have been to Homebase and looked at Shreiber Kitchens

We were given two quotes, supply only as I can get my own kitchen fitter
and a supply and fit quote using homebase supplied permanent/contractors.

Digging around the net it appears that Schreiber and Homebase have an
exclusivity agreement... i.e. Shreiber supply only to Homebase and only
Homebase sell Shreiber kitchens along with hygena etc.

Now we have never used homebase before for a big project, and we have
never had a Shreiber kitchen before.

So we have several questions:

What are Homebase like with kitchen projects?
What are Shreiber like with kitchen products?
Whats the standard of workmanship like, i.e are they exact, pay
attention to detail or do they do it as quick as possible and dissappear
if we go for supply & fit?
Will there be buck passing between fitter and Homebase/Shreiber if we
have supply only?
Whats aftercare like from Homebase?
Whats aftercare like from Shreiber?
ARe Homebase or Shreiber potential future victims of
liquidation/administration given teh current recession? (we plan to use
a credit card anyway for extra protection)

We've already found that we can source appliances cheaper ourselves than
getting them from Homebase, saving £1200.

Homebase quoted £15 quid each for the door handles, we have found the
same ones elsewhere for less than £2 each!

In addition, Homebase supply laminate worktops only up to 3m long, we
need a 4.2m long one if we wish to avoid joints, so we were quoted for
Maia worktops (the seams can be fused apparently), it appears to be like
corian sheet on a chipboard former rather than solid corian. This was
almost £2k. Searching on the net indicates that we can get worktops up
to something line 4.8m long! (we were trying to avoid worktop joints/seams)

We've been told its 4 weeks for delivery after placing & paying for
order. That troubles me a bit as if somethings missing or we need an
extra panel etc, we could have to wait a further four weeks for snagging
works to be sorted out.....

We had been to Been & Queued (atrocious product knowledge and poor
customer service), been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

We have not tried Wickes yet.

I have fitted kitchens before, I've been pleased with Sheraton, but
unfortunately the local Independent kitchen retailer has stopped doing
kitchens and only focusses on bathrooms now.

We are going to another independent to get a quote for Sheraton.

Incidentally, Homebase are doing a 60% off all kitchen materials
provided we pay a deposit of £250 by 8.00pm Tuesday 7th January.
Apparently they can adjust the final order should we make changes, and
will hold the offer open on the final supply or supply and fit quotes.
(there is no discount on labour though on the supply & fit)

I look forward to hearing from those of you who have direct & recent
experience of Homebase and Shreiber.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 22:55:04 +0000 Stephen wrote :
In addition, Homebase supply laminate worktops only up to 3m long, we
need a 4.2m long one if we wish to avoid joints, so we were quoted for
Maia worktops (the seams can be fused apparently), it appears to be like
corian sheet on a chipboard former rather than solid corian. This was
almost £2k. Searching on the net indicates that we can get worktops up
to something line 4.8m long! (we were trying to avoid worktop
joints/seams)

When I did my last UK kitchen, the tops came from Stantons, Byfleet
http://www.stantonsuk.co.uk/ . The choice of colours was amazing and they
did all sorts of special finishing, not just standard mason mitres and BB
ends. Also worth noting that they did 650mm deep tops which give a bit
more space for appliances under. No doubt there are similar firms
everywhere if you know where to look.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

I've used IKEA twice and been entirely happy; not liked a friend's Howdens
and doubt B&Q for this kind of thing. Schreiber is not a real company - it
comes and goes - like Grundig and Bush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

IME Homebase is an expensive hole.
This is a DIY group. Fit them yourself.
A few years back, with the exception of the doors, I made the whole lot
myself.
Wasn't difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
The next big project is to replace our kitchen.
I'm doing the floor tiling, the wall tiling, electrics, and plumbing myself.
We have been to Homebase and looked at Shreiber Kitchens

Schreiber are pretty good quality, slightly above Magnet and Howdens,
but they are far more expensive.
Homebase are terrible to deal with as regards kitchens.
No matter what measurements you give them, they will order at least one
wrong part, and unlike Magnets et al, who will give you the piece then,
or next day, Homebase have to order the part, and quote 3 to 4 weeks for
it.
As you have seen, their prices are not at all competitive. I'd recommend
having a good look around at other suppliers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 22:55, Stephen wrote:
Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

I'm doing the floor tiling, the wall tiling, electrics, and plumbing
myself.

We have been to Homebase and looked at Shreiber Kitchens

We were given two quotes, supply only as I can get my own kitchen fitter
and a supply and fit quote using homebase supplied permanent/contractors.

Digging around the net it appears that Schreiber and Homebase have an
exclusivity agreement... i.e. Shreiber supply only to Homebase and only
Homebase sell Shreiber kitchens along with hygena etc.

I think Homebase just own the Schreiber brand name - could be made by
anyone now.

Now we have never used homebase before for a big project, and we have
never had a Shreiber kitchen before.

So we have several questions:

What are Homebase like with kitchen projects?

No doubt very expensive, they charge ridiculous prices for most things.

What are Shreiber like with kitchen products?
Whats the standard of workmanship like, i.e are they exact, pay
attention to detail or do they do it as quick as possible and dissappear
if we go for supply & fit?

The fitters will be paid a small proportion of the price you are charged
& may well rush the job to earn some extra money.

Will there be buck passing between fitter and Homebase/Shreiber if we
have supply only?
Whats aftercare like from Homebase?
Whats aftercare like from Shreiber?
ARe Homebase or Shreiber potential future victims of
liquidation/administration given teh current recession? (we plan to use
a credit card anyway for extra protection)

We've already found that we can source appliances cheaper ourselves than
getting them from Homebase, saving £1200.

Homebase quoted £15 quid each for the door handles, we have found the
same ones elsewhere for less than £2 each!

Very common ploy with all the DIY sheds.

[...]

I've always found their take away stuff OK, albeit a limited range/choice.

I have fitted kitchens before, I've been pleased with Sheraton, but
unfortunately the local Independent kitchen retailer has stopped doing
kitchens and only focusses on bathrooms now.

We are going to another independent to get a quote for Sheraton.

Incidentally, Homebase are doing a 60% off all kitchen materials
provided we pay a deposit of £250 by 8.00pm Tuesday 7th January.
Apparently they can adjust the final order should we make changes, and
will hold the offer open on the final supply or supply and fit quotes.
(there is no discount on labour though on the supply & fit)

Next week it will be 65% off, providing you stand on one leg whilst
playing a tin whistle.

I look forward to hearing from those of you who have direct & recent
experience of Homebase and Shreiber.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/14 22:55, Stephen wrote:

been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in
the sheds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

Homebase shelves are too thin and won't take heavy loading. Shelf
supports can be problematic. Upward folding doors are a pain as they
block access to the top of the cabinet and can't be reached by many
women. I've found Wickes and B & Q to produce solid cabinets at low
cost. I always tile kitchen surfaces, with a suitable non standard grout
mix on 1" WBP, they stay waterproof for 20 years and can take any hot
dish up to red heat! The only problem is the occasional cracked tile
when a cast iron pan is dropped on them (once every 12 years). Spare
tiles are convenient! Changing a sink outline is also easy, just a bit
of retiling/ply adjustment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2014 09:29, pcb1962 wrote:
On 05/01/14 22:55, Stephen wrote:

been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in
the sheds

My 25 yo schriber units are still solid.
They aren't flat pack and arrived assembled.

I suspect that if you glue the flat pack stuff it will be just as solid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Geoff Pearson" writes:

I've used IKEA twice and been entirely happy;

+1
although I was surprised more recently how much it's gone up.

not liked a friend's Howdens
and doubt B&Q for this kind of thing. Schreiber is not a real company - it
comes and goes - like Grundig and Bush.

It belonged to GEC, when I worked there 30 years ago.
I remember our local management getting a right bollocking
for ordering the office furniture from somewhere else.
GEC ceased to exist some ~10 years ago, and I suspect the
Schreiber name was sold off well before that.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 22:55:04 +0000 Stephen wrote :
In addition, Homebase supply laminate worktops only up to 3m long, we
need a 4.2m long one if we wish to avoid joints, so we were quoted for
Maia worktops (the seams can be fused apparently), it appears to be like
corian sheet on a chipboard former rather than solid corian. This was
almost £2k. Searching on the net indicates that we can get worktops up
to something line 4.8m long! (we were trying to avoid worktop
joints/seams)

When I did my last UK kitchen, the tops came from Stantons, Byfleet
http://www.stantonsuk.co.uk/ . The choice of colours was amazing and they
did all sorts of special finishing, not just standard mason mitres and BB
ends. Also worth noting that they did 650mm deep tops which give a bit
more space for appliances under.

I'm struggling to work out how the depth of worktop can have any effect on
the space for appliances underneath

Surely that's dependent upon the height of the pillars that you stand it on?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2014 22:10, tim...... wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Could you be thinking of thickness rather than depth? Your description
would be spot on for vertical thickness. But 650mm seems rather more
likely to be back-to-front depth.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 23:10:30 +0100 Tim...... wrote :
I'm struggling to work out how the depth of worktop can have any
effect on the space for appliances underneath

Surely that's dependent upon the height of the pillars that you
stand it on?

Depth as in front to back, width if you prefer. 600mm can make it
hard to get a w/m to go back flush depending on the plumbing and
machine.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/14 22:55, Stephen wrote:

been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in the
sheds

I agree. At least they are fully built and much sturdier then ant flat pack.
I'm 100% happy with Howdens cabinets.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/14 10:44, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/01/2014 09:29, pcb1962 wrote:
On 05/01/14 22:55, Stephen wrote:

been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in
the sheds

My 25 yo schriber units are still solid.
They aren't flat pack and arrived assembled.

I suspect that if you glue the flat pack stuff it will be just as solid.

My Howdens were not flat-pack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/01/2014 22:45, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 23:10:30 +0100 Tim...... wrote :
I'm struggling to work out how the depth of worktop can have any
effect on the space for appliances underneath

Surely that's dependent upon the height of the pillars that you
stand it on?

Depth as in front to back, width if you prefer. 600mm can make it
hard to get a w/m to go back flush depending on the plumbing and
machine.

Don't most people fitting put the back of the cabinet flush against the
wall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/01/2014 12:01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Geoff Pearson" writes:

I've used IKEA twice and been entirely happy;

+1
although I was surprised more recently how much it's gone up.

+1 on quality and finish. Price a couple of years ago was okay. I'd get
worktops and plinths elsewhere.

I've had three from Magnet recently, and they were very good. Not sure
about price, though.

not liked a friend's Howdens

+1. Horrid finish. (Apologies to all who have them, and no doubt disagree.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in
the sheds

My 25 yo schriber units are still solid.
They aren't flat pack and arrived assembled.

I suspect that if you glue the flat pack stuff it will be just as solid.

My Howdens were not flat-pack

I've never had a cabinet fail, flat pack or not. By the time you've
screwed them to the wall, each other, and the worktop, they are really
over-engineered. Hinges, drawer bases, and drawer runners: now that's
another different thing entirely!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/01/2014 11:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , GB
wrote:

(about Howden's)

+1. Horrid finish. (Apologies to all who have them, and no doubt
disagree.)

We got some Howdens a couple of years ago for the Utility room. Finish
seems OK to us, did you have some specific issues? As things stand, I'd
expect to look at going back to them (at least as one contender) for
when we rip out the m**ble tops.

I hated the foil-wrapped doors. The Ikea doors are *vastly* nicer, with
a real wood veneer. They've lasted well, too.

I may only have been looking at the cheaper end of the Howdens range,
but I was also looking at the cheap end of the Ikea range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/01/2014 11:43, Tim Streater wrote:

I hated the foil-wrapped doors. The Ikea doors are *vastly* nicer,
with a real wood veneer. They've lasted well, too.

Eh? Foil-wrapped? What are you on about? We got stuff from this range:

The doors in a comparable price range to Ikea were foil wrapped.

http://www.howdens.com/kitchen-colle...s/tewkesbury/t
ewkesbury-oak/

That looks expensive, but I might be pleasantly surprised. I did say "I
may only have been looking at the cheaper end of the Howdens range, but
I was also looking at the cheap end of the Ikea range."

There's no point comparing deluxe and budget ranges. The sort of thing I
bought at Ikea was this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...98/#/S79852501

That's a 60cm base unit for £47. How much is the equivalent in Howden's
Tewkesbury? And what can you get at Howden for the same sort of money?
I'd be interested to know, as Ikea are a pain to shop at. (Sorry to ask
this, but I can't find the Howden price list online.)

The units that were in the utility room when we moved in were
somebody's horrible laminated white doors with the aluminium strip at
the bottom to open the door with.

More modern **** that gave no clue as to which end the door opened at,
and which cut your fingers in the process. They are now used for
storage in the shed.

We used these door knobs, which don't cut your fingers and which you
can get hold of:

http://www.howdens.com/kitchen-colle.../knob-handles/
classic-pewter-effect-knob/

And it looks quite nice, too. As we use the utility room for a variety
of purposes we have come to know what works and what doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/01/2014 15:24, Tim Streater wrote:

The Tewkesbury is all solid oak front. Your IKEA unit is £63 if you
want solid oak. A similar (in dimensions) Tewkesbury unit would have
cost us £67 in 2011.

Well, I'd certainly pay 10% extra not to have to deal with Ikea!

I suspect that at the bottom end Ikea are difficult to beat.

And what can you get at Howden for the same sort of money? I'd be
interested to know, as Ikea are a pain to shop at. (Sorry to ask this,
but I can't find the Howden price list online.)

They do have a price list, but normally not available to the public,
AFAICT. You're supposed to work through your installer, they don't sell
direct to the public (well perhaps they might at 4 x the price). But we
went in there and asked for one.

My builder was dead keen on Howden, mainly because they would give him a
big box of screws if I purchased the units from them. He was happy to
pass on the price discount, but not the screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
I still have and use the double bed I got from IKEA up the road from
Geneva in 1980. And it's been to California & back, too.

A few years ago, Ikea calculated that 10% of Europeans are now
conceived on a Ikea bed.

I went to try it out in-store, but there was a long queue...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB writes:
On 06/01/2014 22:45, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 23:10:30 +0100 Tim...... wrote :
I'm struggling to work out how the depth of worktop can have any
effect on the space for appliances underneath

Surely that's dependent upon the height of the pillars that you
stand it on?

Depth as in front to back, width if you prefer. 600mm can make it
hard to get a w/m to go back flush depending on the plumbing and
machine.

Don't most people fitting put the back of the cabinet flush against the
wall?

Yes. Make sure there are no obstructions behind a machine location.
Put things like the socket and waste trap in the next cupboard.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
I still have and use the double bed I got from IKEA up the road from
Geneva in 1980. And it's been to California & back, too.

A few years ago, Ikea calculated that 10% of Europeans are now
conceived on a Ikea bed.

[Snip]

as the bishop said at my daughter's ordination service "It must have been a
pretty big bed."

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB writes:

My 5 year old Howdens kitchen is more solid than anything I've seen in
the sheds

My 25 yo schriber units are still solid.
They aren't flat pack and arrived assembled.

I suspect that if you glue the flat pack stuff it will be just as solid.

My Howdens were not flat-pack

I've never had a cabinet fail, flat pack or not. By the time you've
screwed them to the wall, each other, and the worktop, they are really

+1

over-engineered. Hinges, drawer bases, and drawer runners: now that's
another different thing entirely!

I've had none of those fail across several Ikea kitches installed.

Door hinges on a Wickes kitchen are now regularly failing at 14 years
old - probably 5 failures in last 2 years.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

We got some Howdens a couple of years ago

I hated the foil-wrapped doors. The Ikea doors are *vastly* nicer, with
a real wood veneer. They've lasted well, too.

Having ordered B&Q carcases and doors a few years ago, I was expecting
oak veneer doors, pleased to find they were solid wood when they arrived.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:48:32 +0000 Gb wrote :
Don't most people fitting put the back of the cabinet flush against
the wall?

Yes. Spacing them out is more work but does make accommodating
services (especially waste pipes) a lot easier.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/01/2014 20:34, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:48:32 +0000 Gb wrote :
Don't most people fitting put the back of the cabinet flush against
the wall?

Yes. Spacing them out is more work but does make accommodating
services (especially waste pipes) a lot easier.

What sort of brackets do you use to fix them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 21:45:51 +0000 Gb wrote :
On 07/01/2014 20:34, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:48:32 +0000 Gb wrote :
Don't most people fitting put the back of the cabinet flush
against the wall?

Yes. Spacing them out is more work but does make accommodating
services (especially waste pipes) a lot easier.

What sort of brackets do you use to fix them?

When I've done this, I've put a 100mm corner brace horizontally,
fixed to the cabinet side at the top and the wall as a temporary
fix. Once the worktop goes in and is fixed to the wall and cabinet
nothing can move.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:34:04 AM UTC, Capitol wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

Homebase shelves are too thin and won't take heavy loading. Shelf

supports can be problematic. Upward folding doors are a pain as they

block access to the top of the cabinet and can't be reached by many

women. I've found Wickes and B & Q to produce solid cabinets at low

cost. I always tile kitchen surfaces, with a suitable non standard grout

mix on 1" WBP, they stay waterproof for 20 years and can take any hot

dish up to red heat! The only problem is the occasional cracked tile

when a cast iron pan is dropped on them (once every 12 years). Spare

tiles are convenient! Changing a sink outline is also easy, just a bit

of retiling/ply adjustment.

What type of tiles do you use ?
Do you use the tiled surface as a preparation surface or always use chopping boards etc. ?
Is it hygienic when you get tomato juice, grease etc. on the grout lines ?
Tiled worktops seem to be a very American thing in general.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:55:04 PM UTC, Stephen wrote:
The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

Just to note that, I think in mid Feb, IKEA are replacing Faktum kitchens with a new Metod range. Thus there may be bargains associated with end-of-line Faktum (and conversely, problems with continued availability of parts).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 07/01/14 22:47, sm_jamieson wrote:

What type of tiles do you use ?
Do you use the tiled surface as a preparation surface or always use chopping boards etc. ?
Is it hygienic when you get tomato juice, grease etc. on the grout lines ?
Tiled worktops seem to be a very American thing in general.

For worktops you should use epoxy grout.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

[...]

I use about 4 x 8 floor/wall tiles or a similar size. Very hard and not
shiny. Almost always use a separate plastic preparation surface, which
will go in the dishwasher. The grout is very waterproofed so there is no
significant penetration of either grease/white spirit/meths/acetone or
water etc and is easily cleaned/sterilised. Old Nitromors paint stripper
can damage the grout. It is a pig to apply the grout and it needs
smoothing after 24/48 hours with something abrasive like a golden
fleece, but as it lasts for many years it's worth it. I think the epoxy
grouts might be easier to use nowadays, but much more expensive. IME
even granite scratches if used for food preparation and can stain easily
under some circumstances. However the granite worktops I have seen
recently are joined so well that the joint is invisible without a
magnifying glass. The protective coatings applied to granite don't like
very hot things stood on them. I've never managed to scratch a tile yet.
Corian etc are very nice looking, but again suffer from
heat,scratching and staining. I've never seen a laminate joint on
chipboard which survived standing water. IMO butler sinks should stay as
garden ornaments as they always chip and are death to crockery.
Just my experience.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This may be a bit late but thought you might like to know my experiences with Homebase and Schreiber.
No, life is too short to tell you the whole story so here's the summary...
Delivery 17th Jan.
Fitters started 21st Jan with expected completion on the 25th.
It's now the beginning of June and it's not finished!
Is this just a few units?
Nope... £20,000's worth.
So if you haven't decided yet
DON'T DO IT!!
And if you have ..... Good luck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 05:24:59 UTC+1, wrote:

Is this just a few units?

Nope... £20,000's worth.

er.. £20k on cheap kitchen units? did you consider a partition?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 05:24:59 UTC+1, wrote:
This may be a bit late but thought you might like to know my experiences with Homebase and Schreiber.
No, life is too short to tell you the whole story so here's the summary....
Delivery 17th Jan.
Fitters started 21st Jan with expected completion on the 25th.
It's now the beginning of June and it's not finished!
Is this just a few units?
Nope... £20,000's worth.
So if you haven't decided yet
DON'T DO IT!!
And if you have ..... Good luck

Any joy now?I'm just about to order the Homebase/Schrieber combination.

Fitted Kitchens UK, Best Rate in Fitted Kitchens, Bespoke FittedFurniture fittedkitchenuk Home Repair 0 June 5th 10 03:09 PM
Schreiber/MFI/take your pick APM6855 Fridge Freezer - fridge not cooling jamma-plusser UK diy 1 July 14th 09 10:03 AM
Schreiber Units - Replacement Doors [email protected] UK diy 2 April 16th 06 08:00 AM
Homebase ? Colin Wilson UK diy 13 January 8th 06 11:42 PM
Help with MFI/schreiber bedroom chest of drawers Mark UK diy 6 July 1st 05 09:09 AM