Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Kitchens..... Schreiber and Homebase....

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:34:04 AM UTC, Capitol wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

Homebase shelves are too thin and won't take heavy loading. Shelf

supports can be problematic. Upward folding doors are a pain as they

block access to the top of the cabinet and can't be reached by many

women. I've found Wickes and B & Q to produce solid cabinets at low

cost. I always tile kitchen surfaces, with a suitable non standard grout

mix on 1" WBP, they stay waterproof for 20 years and can take any hot

dish up to red heat! The only problem is the occasional cracked tile

when a cast iron pan is dropped on them (once every 12 years). Spare

tiles are convenient! Changing a sink outline is also easy, just a bit

of retiling/ply adjustment.

What type of tiles do you use ?
Do you use the tiled surface as a preparation surface or always use chopping boards etc. ?
Is it hygienic when you get tomato juice, grease etc. on the grout lines ?
Tiled worktops seem to be a very American thing in general.

Simon.