Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Kitchens..... Schreiber and Homebase....

On 07/01/2014 11:43, Tim Streater wrote:

I hated the foil-wrapped doors. The Ikea doors are *vastly* nicer,
with a real wood veneer. They've lasted well, too.

Eh? Foil-wrapped? What are you on about? We got stuff from this range:

The doors in a comparable price range to Ikea were foil wrapped.

http://www.howdens.com/kitchen-colle...s/tewkesbury/t
ewkesbury-oak/

That looks expensive, but I might be pleasantly surprised. I did say "I
may only have been looking at the cheaper end of the Howdens range, but
I was also looking at the cheap end of the Ikea range."

There's no point comparing deluxe and budget ranges. The sort of thing I
bought at Ikea was this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...98/#/S79852501

That's a 60cm base unit for £47. How much is the equivalent in Howden's
Tewkesbury? And what can you get at Howden for the same sort of money?
I'd be interested to know, as Ikea are a pain to shop at. (Sorry to ask
this, but I can't find the Howden price list online.)

The units that were in the utility room when we moved in were
somebody's horrible laminated white doors with the aluminium strip at
the bottom to open the door with.

More modern **** that gave no clue as to which end the door opened at,
and which cut your fingers in the process. They are now used for
storage in the shed.

We used these door knobs, which don't cut your fingers and which you
can get hold of:

http://www.howdens.com/kitchen-colle.../knob-handles/
classic-pewter-effect-knob/

And it looks quite nice, too. As we use the utility room for a variety
of purposes we have come to know what works and what doesn't.