Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Kitchens..... Schreiber and Homebase....

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

I'm doing the floor tiling, the wall tiling, electrics, and plumbing
myself.

We have been to Homebase and looked at Shreiber Kitchens

We were given two quotes, supply only as I can get my own kitchen fitter
and a supply and fit quote using homebase supplied permanent/contractors.

Digging around the net it appears that Schreiber and Homebase have an
exclusivity agreement... i.e. Shreiber supply only to Homebase and only
Homebase sell Shreiber kitchens along with hygena etc.

Now we have never used homebase before for a big project, and we have
never had a Shreiber kitchen before.

So we have several questions:

What are Homebase like with kitchen projects?
What are Shreiber like with kitchen products?
Whats the standard of workmanship like, i.e are they exact, pay attention
to detail or do they do it as quick as possible and dissappear if we go
for supply & fit?
Will there be buck passing between fitter and Homebase/Shreiber if we have
supply only?
Whats aftercare like from Homebase?
Whats aftercare like from Shreiber?
ARe Homebase or Shreiber potential future victims of
liquidation/administration given teh current recession? (we plan to use a
credit card anyway for extra protection)

We've already found that we can source appliances cheaper ourselves than
getting them from Homebase, saving £1200.

Homebase quoted £15 quid each for the door handles, we have found the same
ones elsewhere for less than £2 each!

In addition, Homebase supply laminate worktops only up to 3m long, we need
a 4.2m long one if we wish to avoid joints, so we were quoted for Maia
worktops (the seams can be fused apparently), it appears to be like corian
sheet on a chipboard former rather than solid corian. This was almost £2k.
Searching on the net indicates that we can get worktops up to something
line 4.8m long! (we were trying to avoid worktop joints/seams)

We've been told its 4 weeks for delivery after placing & paying for order.
That troubles me a bit as if somethings missing or we need an extra panel
etc, we could have to wait a further four weeks for snagging works to be
sorted out.....

We had been to Been & Queued (atrocious product knowledge and poor
customer service), been to Howdens (the units were of questionable build
and looked cheap & nasty)

We have not tried Wickes yet.

I have fitted kitchens before, I've been pleased with Sheraton, but
unfortunately the local Independent kitchen retailer has stopped doing
kitchens and only focusses on bathrooms now.

We are going to another independent to get a quote for Sheraton.

Incidentally, Homebase are doing a 60% off all kitchen materials provided
we pay a deposit of £250 by 8.00pm Tuesday 7th January. Apparently they
can adjust the final order should we make changes, and will hold the offer
open on the final supply or supply and fit quotes. (there is no discount
on labour though on the supply & fit)

I look forward to hearing from those of you who have direct & recent
experience of Homebase and Shreiber.....

IME Homebase is an expensive hole.
This is a DIY group. Fit them yourself.
A few years back, with the exception of the doors, I made the whole lot
myself.
Wasn't difficult.