Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Kitchens..... Schreiber and Homebase....

sm_jamieson wrote:
On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:34:04 AM UTC, Capitol wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hi All,

The next big project is to replace our kitchen.

Homebase shelves are too thin and won't take heavy loading. Shelf

supports can be problematic. Upward folding doors are a pain as they

block access to the top of the cabinet and can't be reached by many

women. I've found Wickes and B& Q to produce solid cabinets at low

cost. I always tile kitchen surfaces, with a suitable non standard grout

mix on 1" WBP, they stay waterproof for 20 years and can take any hot

dish up to red heat! The only problem is the occasional cracked tile

when a cast iron pan is dropped on them (once every 12 years). Spare

tiles are convenient! Changing a sink outline is also easy, just a bit

of retiling/ply adjustment.

What type of tiles do you use ?
Do you use the tiled surface as a preparation surface or always use chopping boards etc. ?
Is it hygienic when you get tomato juice, grease etc. on the grout lines ?
Tiled worktops seem to be a very American thing in general.

Simon.

I use about 4 x 8 floor/wall tiles or a similar size. Very hard and not
shiny. Almost always use a separate plastic preparation surface, which
will go in the dishwasher. The grout is very waterproofed so there is no
significant penetration of either grease/white spirit/meths/acetone or
water etc and is easily cleaned/sterilised. Old Nitromors paint stripper
can damage the grout. It is a pig to apply the grout and it needs
smoothing after 24/48 hours with something abrasive like a golden
fleece, but as it lasts for many years it's worth it. I think the epoxy
grouts might be easier to use nowadays, but much more expensive. IME
even granite scratches if used for food preparation and can stain easily
under some circumstances. However the granite worktops I have seen
recently are joined so well that the joint is invisible without a
magnifying glass. The protective coatings applied to granite don't like
very hot things stood on them. I've never managed to scratch a tile yet.
Corian etc are very nice looking, but again suffer from
heat,scratching and staining. I've never seen a laminate joint on
chipboard which survived standing water. IMO butler sinks should stay as
garden ornaments as they always chip and are death to crockery.
Just my experience.