Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Friggin cold phone callers

"GB" wrote in message
On 06/03/2013 12:25, brass monkey wrote:
Just had a call from 06041623 -
My name is garble (female) phoning on behalf of garble garble. Is your
name
.... ... of this address .... .....
Me: It might be
Her: Can I ask a few questions?
Me: go on then
Her: Calls may be recorded for training etc etc
How do you pronounce your christian name?
Me: Hang on a sec, what are you selling, where are you going with this?
Her: You ****in' *******.
Me: LMFAO and thanked her very much.

Completely wrong approach IMHO.

Just say: "Can you hold on a minute...." and get on with something else.
Put the phone back 5 mins later, or keep coming back to them to get them
to hold on longer.

I've given up winding them up, it doesn't take my name off the list and just
wastes my time.

I now just say "no thanks", click

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 06/03/2013 16:33, Bert Coules wrote:
I've had a recent spate of two distinct kinds of cold calls:

"Just a quick two minute survey" calls from a source which my phone's
display can only identify as "International - Out Of Area. These are
real people, possibly in India, and they ask for me by name. I've tried
various techniques to stop them, including telling the caller that "Mr
Coules died last week" and on one occasion actually going through the
entire survey (which took a deal longer than two minutes) giving false
but plausible answers to every question. The calls still continue.

Automated calls. On answering there's a fractional pause then a
recorded voice.

If there's an answering machine switched on at the time of the call,
both real people and machines just hang up without saying a word.

All this despite my being registered with the TPS.

IIRC the TPS is voluntary

as a customer its voluntary, as a caller its compulsory

and only applies to UK calls.

Actually UK companies. You can't get around it by basing just your call
centre in India, you have to move the whole company

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:00:12 +1300, Gib Bogle
wrote:

When people call talking about a survey, or mentioning the name of a
product or company, I just say "Not interested thanks" and hang up. I
actually feel a bit sorry for the people with these ****ty jobs. I
wouldn't have felt sorry for your caller, but then she never would have
got the chance to swear at me.

From yesterday:
'Is that Mr Johnson? We're doing a short 60 second life-style survey
of the people in the Parkside Close area.'

I had someone call me with a "survey" last week.

She asked some weird questions about whether we had carpets and whether
anyone in the house had asthma (along with the what age group are you etc
type questions.

And that was it.

I don't know if she was cold calling to try and get numbers for people to
call back later to try to sell some wooden flooring, but she could have
filtered me out form that by just establishing that I live in rented and it
wasn't my responsibility

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 8:43 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 7/03/2013 9:16 a.m., John Williamson wrote:

On 06/03/2013 20:00, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 7/03/2013 1:25 a.m., brass monkey wrote:
Just had a call from 06041623 -
My name is garble (female) phoning on behalf of garble garble. Is
your
name
... ... of this address .... .....
Me: It might be
Her: Can I ask a few questions?
Me: go on then
Her: Calls may be recorded for training etc etc
How do you pronounce your christian name?
Me: Hang on a sec, what are you selling, where are you going with
this?
Her: You ****in' *******.
Me: LMFAO and thanked her very much.

Half an hour earlier we had some hawker at the door, wifey answered
it
and
was chatting for quite a while. She came in and said this guy is
selling all
sorts of stuff like this chamois leather for £15, he says he's been a
bad
boy but is trying to change his life etc etc, yes, I know, hook line
and
sinker. So I kindly asked him to sling his hook.
Geeeeeeeeez.

I occasionally get a call (presumably automated) that is just silence
for a few seconds, then a woman's voice says "goodbye". The voice is
always exactly the same, i.e. it's recorded.

When people call talking about a survey, or mentioning the name of a
product or company, I just say "Not interested thanks" and hang up. I
actually feel a bit sorry for the people with these ****ty jobs. I
wouldn't have felt sorry for your caller, but then she never would
have
got the chance to swear at me.

On the rare ocasions when I beat the fax machine to these calls, they
all seem to be for either someone who no longer lives here (Wink, wink)
or they get the stated choice of hanging up now or random answers to
all
their questions.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of clue by the callers that
doesn't
get me put on to junk fax lists.

My wife, who lies convincingly, sometimes tell them that the person they
ask for died recently. She spins a good story - I do not have the
patience for this.- Hide quoted text -

Me neither. My mum did the "put the phone down and walk away" thing
once, but I just say "sorry, not interested", and hang up. Same reply
to door-steppers.

I once answered the door and there was a young guy whose opening line
was "I'm here to test-drive the Alfa".

"But it's not for sale", I replied, slightly bewildered.

"OK, I'm just joking, I'm collecting on behalf of XYZ" he said,
starting to realise what turn events had just taken.

I think he realised by the look on my face, shortly before the door
blocked it from his view , that he wasn't going to have much luck.

Thing was, IIRC, he was collecting for something I actually might have
contributed to, under other circumstances. Hey-ho.

Except that you wouldn't have been contributing in any useful sense. 90% if
it goes into his pocket

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number.
I've worked as a contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes".
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard to
be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number.
I've worked as a contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes".
Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone call.
Is unsolicited the correct word?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 10:40:59 -0000, tim..... wrote:

Thing was, IIRC, he was collecting for something I actually might have
contributed to, under other circumstances. Hey-ho.

Except that you wouldn't have been contributing in any useful sense.
90% if it goes into his pocket

Or the pocket of the company that has been engaged to pay people to go
round knocking on doors...

The only charity that gets any money out of me is the Great North Air
Ambulance via their lottery, I might win something or I might need their
services and I find it disgusting that all the Air Ambulance Services are
not funded from central government via the NHS or what ever.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Friggin cold phone callers (OK to be offensive)

On Mar 8, 11:23*am, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:18:08 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard
to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number. I've worked as a
contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes". Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call. Is unsolicited the correct word?

Interesting question ....

Mentioned this befo

Save the frustration Get two of these ( cost me £30 but on offer)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-KX.../dp/B004RFFPZY

Superb!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 08/03/2013 11:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:18:08 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard
to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number. I've worked as a
contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes". Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call. Is unsolicited the correct word?

Interesting question ....

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 8 Mar, 16:12, Martin Brown
wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I
suppose the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the
world's cold callers auto-dialling each other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:39:02 -0800, pensive hamster wrote:

On 8 Mar, 16:12, Martin Brown wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I suppose
the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the world's cold
callers auto-dialling each other.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/you-are-not-the-next-caller.mp3

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 08/03/2013 16:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:39:02 -0800, pensive hamster wrote:

On 8 Mar, 16:12, Martin Brown wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I suppose
the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the world's cold
callers auto-dialling each other.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/you-are-not-the-next-caller.mp3

There must be a market for a cheap box that you hang on the line; hit a
button on a cold caller and it loops stuff like this and hangs up when
they do. I know someone made a smart box that carried on a fake
dialogue, waiting for gaps in the spiel and saying random variants of
"Sorry, could you repeat that". I would *really* like to have one of
those on each of my lines!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I
suppose the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the
world's cold callers auto-dialling each other.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/you-are-not-the-next-caller.mp3

There must be a market for a cheap box that you hang on the line; hit a
button on a cold caller and it loops stuff like this and hangs up when
they do. I know someone made a smart box that carried on a fake
dialogue, waiting for gaps in the spiel and saying random variants of
"Sorry, could you repeat that". I would *really* like to have one of
those on each of my lines!

Asterisk can do both of those. The latter one is known as a telemarketer
torture script. It uses the asterisk WaitForSilence() function in the
dialplan.

A nice variation is here (just read the comments):

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...rketer+Torture

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard to
be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number.
I've worked as a contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes".

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call.

It is anyway.

Is unsolicited the correct word?

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:18:08 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard
to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number. I've worked as a
contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes". Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call. Is unsolicited the correct word?

Interesting question ....

Nope. Of course its an offense, most obviously with unsolicited phone
calls that are the result of someone calling someone they didnt intend
to call, a wrong number etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
[...]

Like when Abdul asks for me by name and tells me that he is calling from
Microsoft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2013 11:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 10:40:59 -0000, tim..... wrote:

Thing was, IIRC, he was collecting for something I actually might have
contributed to, under other circumstances. Hey-ho.

Except that you wouldn't have been contributing in any useful sense.
90% if it goes into his pocket

Or the pocket of the company that has been engaged to pay people to go
round knocking on doors...

The only charity that gets any money out of me is the Great North Air
Ambulance via their lottery, I might win something or I might need their
services and I find it disgusting that all the Air Ambulance Services are
not funded from central government via the NHS or what ever.

The government does fund helicopters where they actually save lives.
Like mountain rescue by the RAF, etc.

However the helicopter air ambulances probably don't save any lives.
If you think about it they are always secondary units to arrive and the
paramedics that are already at the sceen have already done the work to
stabilise the patient before the helicopter is even scrambled.

I am pretty sure that the same amount of money invested elsewhere would
be far more effective in saving lives.

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message
, Mel
Rowing writes
On Mar 8, 11:23*am, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:18:08 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard
to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number. I've worked as a
contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes". Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call. Is unsolicited the correct word?

Interesting question ....

Mentioned this befo

Save the frustration Get two of these ( cost me £30 but on offer)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-KX...r-Machine/dp/B
004RFFPZY

Superb!

BT sent me some blurb advertising their BT 6500 phones. The first review
I found was pretty damning about sound performance.

The BT site is rather discreet about how the claimed *caller withheld*
feature works so I went looking for the user manual. This fails to
mention it either.

Switched to answer phone and with the *caller display* service paid you
can obviously screen calls. I want something that tells unwanted callers
to **** off without me being charged for the service!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:

[Snip]

However the helicopter air ambulances probably don't save any lives.
If you think about it they are always secondary units to arrive and the
paramedics that are already at the sceen have already done the work to
stabilise the patient before the helicopter is even scrambled.

I am pretty sure that the same amount of money invested elsewhere would
be far more effective in saving lives.

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.

A couple of years ago, I was very near someone who collapsed, two separate
Firsat Aid responders arrived and could not revive him. Then a helicopter
arrived - some 20 minutes after he'd ceased breathing. The medical staff
spenta nother 30 minutes on site, trying to revive him - to no avail. My
own, limited, first aid experience told me that there is less than 2
minutes to get the blood circulation in brain restored if there is to be
any chance of teh patient recovering.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:23:42 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:18:08 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard
to be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number. I've worked as a
contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes". Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone
call. Is unsolicited the correct word?

Interesting question ....

Just to try and get back to the point, the question was: is there any law
preventing a person from being offensive to a cold caller ?

Yes there is, the same law that makes it illegal to be offensive
on the phone. It doesnt make a distinction for the cold callers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eb.com...

Bull****.

If you think about it they are always secondary units to arrive and the
paramedics that are already at the sceen have already done the work to
stabilise the patient before the helicopter is even scrambled.

But some do die in the road ambulance on the way to the ER etc.

I am pretty sure that the same amount of money invested elsewhere would be
far more effective in saving lives.

Just where do you propose it be spent ?

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.

Get stuffed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:

[Snip]

[...]

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

And you have no idea what would have happened if the
First Aid responders did manage get him breathing again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:25:39 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The government does fund helicopters where they actually save lives.
Like mountain rescue by the RAF, etc.

AFAIK all the mountain rescue teams are charity funded. No help from
central goverment, I don't think any run helicopters. RAF Search and
Rescue is part of the RAF and principly there to rescue RAF personal when
they crash, rescuing the general public is training. That's assuming that
the RAF/MOD continue to fund RAF S&R, there has been some talk about them
out sourcing it...

However the helicopter air ambulances probably don't save any lives.
If you think about it they are always secondary units to arrive and the
paramedics that are already at the sceen have already done the work to
stabilise the patient before the helicopter is even scrambled.

Complete and utter ********. Car crash couple of hundred yards down the
road from here the air ambulance was here a good 30 mins before the
paramedic ambulance. The local "first responder" ambulance arrived in
about 5 minutes but the crew of that are only first responders not
paramedics. What they can do is very limited.

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.

I hope you have an accident when out in the country side and a paramedic
ambulance will take the best part of an hour to get to you. Not an
accident that'll kill you quickly. I'd like you to bleed to death
internally, maybe a crushed rib cage and punctured lung. And just to make
sure it's suitably painful a limb with a displaced open fracture.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:35:10 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:

Easy.

Reply with "Go **** yourself" or if the caller is Asian try very hard to
be
a racist and be abusive.
You will get a red mark on your phone number.
I've worked as a contractor in call centers and have seen it happen.

The way things are going you might find the police at your door, after
you've been reported for "hate crimes".
Simon.

I do not think it is an offense to be abusive to an unsolicited phone call.
Is unsolicited the correct word?

Is it still an offence to use abusive language over the public telephone
system?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:25:39 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The government does fund helicopters where they actually save lives.
Like mountain rescue by the RAF, etc.

AFAIK all the mountain rescue teams are charity funded. No help from
central goverment, I don't think any run helicopters. RAF Search and
Rescue is part of the RAF and principly there to rescue RAF personal when
they crash, rescuing the general public is training. That's assuming that
the RAF/MOD continue to fund RAF S&R, there has been some talk about them
out sourcing it...

Correct on all counts. Equally Lowland Search and Rescue and Cave Rescue
are voluntary organisations. (I think MR in Scotland might get public
funding)
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message
, Mel
Rowing writes
[...]

Zactly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:46:40 +0000, bert wrote:

Is it still an offence to use abusive language over the public
telephone system?

I belive so and I suspect most T&Cs for internet access also forbid it.
Though what the charge would be I'm not sure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:

Is it still an offence to use abusive language over the public telephone
system?

Was it ever? It is/was an offence to transmit obscene language (wireless)
at one time, but I'd guess that is rarely enforced these days. ;-)

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

However the helicopter air ambulances probably don't save any lives.
If you think about it they are always secondary units to arrive and the
paramedics that are already at the sceen have already done the work to
stabilise the patient before the helicopter is even scrambled.

I am pretty sure that the same amount of money invested elsewhere would
be far more effective in saving lives.

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.

Yet another demonstration that there is no limit to the areas in
which you lack understanding.

A relative of mine owes her life to the London Air Ambulance,
following an accident on the Cromwell Road.

Even the Air Ambulance crew didn't really expect her to make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zZdIUdGZda8

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
[...]

If the offense is racist in nature, almost certainly yes.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 08/03/2013 16:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:39:02 -0800, pensive hamster wrote:

On 8 Mar, 16:12, Martin Brown wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I suppose
the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the world's cold
callers auto-dialling each other.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/you-are-not-the-next-caller.mp3

There must be a market for a cheap box that you hang on the line;

The problem is that there isn't a big enough market for the box to be cheap

it will be moderately expense so only a few will buy it, so it will be
expensive so only ... (forever)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

I had one yesterday, from a solar panel company. Did I remember him
calling some months ago? No, I said. But then I pointed out that he was
breaking the law. "What, by doing my day job?" So I explained. He hung
up on me in a huff before I could ask him to remove me from his list.

I had a guy yesterday who went through a list of questions before
pronouncing that I was eligible for FIT for a solar PV
installation. I pointed out that there was an important question
he had omitted - Did I already have one?

We then moved on to discussion of TPS, and the semantics of
whether his activity was related to sales, which he seemed
unwilling to prolong.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2013 23:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

So how many better trained and equipped paramedics could there be if the
air ambulance money had been spent on them?

How many less would there be if the NHS had to fund the helicopters?

However its your money to spend as you please, just don't try and spend
public money on them.

I hope you have an accident when out in the country side and a paramedic
ambulance will take the best part of an hour to get to you. Not an
accident that'll kill you quickly. I'd like you to bleed to death
internally, maybe a crushed rib cage and punctured lung. And just to make
sure it's suitably painful a limb with a displaced open fracture.

Same to you with raw sewage in the wounds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2013 00:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:46:40 +0000, bert wrote:

Is it still an offence to use abusive language over the public
telephone system?

I belive so and I suspect most T&Cs for internet access also forbid it.
Though what the charge would be I'm not sure.

The same as for abuse over the telecoms network.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"tim....." wrote in message

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 08/03/2013 16:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:39:02 -0800, pensive hamster wrote:

On 8 Mar, 16:12, Martin Brown wrote:

I find an answerphone on the line works wonders on cold callers.
Failing that "Just hold the line and I will go and get him"...

I just say "Putting you through now " ...

If I was a telecoms geek, I would probably know how to add a recording
saying "Thank you for holding, your call is important to us". I suppose
the ultimate would be to hack their systems, to get all the world's
cold
callers auto-dialling each other.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/you-are-not-the-next-caller.mp3

There must be a market for a cheap box that you hang on the line;

The problem is that there isn't a big enough market for the box to be
cheap

Dont believe that with stuff made in china.

Its a VERY minor mod to an mp3 player.

it will be moderately expense

Dont believe that given that its a VERY minor mod
to an mp3 player and those are already dirt cheap.

so only a few will buy it, so it will be expensive so only ... (forever)

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:

Is it still an offence to use abusive language over the public telephone
system?

Was it ever? It is/was an offence to transmit obscene language (wireless)
at one time, but I'd guess that is rarely enforced these days. ;-)

What do you think malicious calls are and how they are treated?

OT Dealing with cold callers Hugh - in either England or Spain UK diy 19 October 30th 12 11:16 AM
OT cold callers Alan[_10_] UK diy 3 January 8th 12 12:18 AM
PITA cold callers about insulation grants brass monkey UK diy 35 July 31st 11 12:35 AM
OT - callers at door. sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 45 April 22nd 10 11:45 PM
Bedroom above garage...friggin cold in winter Chuck Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 02:47 AM